No announcement yet.

Working on my 2001 Nu Venture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bloody hell, it’s a bit warm working inside the van ! Forgot to post this picture 92F47FE7-357F-435E-A789-DA0D5DE2199F.jpeg The 2 slots are for the lap belt.
    Today I started off testing the Propex heater. Plumbed it all in, turned on the power and.........nothing. Mm
    So back to basics again, check voltage.........nothing ! I’ve no idea why not but looks like another mystery to solve. Anyway, I bypassed the feed wires which were just connected up to the 12 volt socket by the sink. No fuse fitted ! I’ll have to sort that out too then. So ran a wire from the main output on the control panel as it’s fused, and switched it on.........nothing, the fan worked but that was it. At this point I bit the bullet and read the instructions, aha, turn down thermostat, turn switch to on, then turn up thermostat until fan starts and green light comes on. Well, it went through coughing and spluttering a few times then after several attempts success. All seems to be working as it should. Winner winner. 1B2A5769-F2BC-4630-B111-46FE96CD528A.jpeg
    live heard that all of these types of heaters are a bit noisy, mm, I’ll have to wait n see when I’m tucked up in bed somewhere in a quiet field or campsite.
    Too hot to look at the wiring so I’m ticking off other items on the list of ‘to do’s ‘, next then was what used to be the top of the fridge unit when it was up front.
    My van didn’t come with a flip up work surface next to the sink, so I’d planned to make one up using the old fridge top. I’ll need some special hinges for this but the top seems half decent D873298C-D2F8-4237-81FC-2540E8ABF3AF.jpeg Had to cut the notch to fit around the window frame, I’ll fit all of the trim later
    A032BDA8-88FC-4163-AF30-88A0FD649AB6.jpeg I think it should make useful space for cooking.
    If it cools down a bit I might go back out n try and sort out the 12 volt supply.

Comment

Had a bit of a rest period. Mostly due to waiting for materials, but also fancied a break. T trim finally arrive Wednesday night so I can at least get the interior put together and finished. Tomorrow I’ve got a mate coming round to fix my garage roof. But will be back at it on Friday as normal. I suppose I really need to empty the van and start painting. Sounds like a job for the Memsahid to me he he

Comment

After working on the garage roof yesterday in the heat, I really didn’t much feel like doing anything today. Took a trip out to Newport Shropshire this morning, then came back n had a snooze. But the guilt set in and I had to do something, so thought I’d try out cutting the grooves for the T trim.
        22C094AE-4C20-4CDF-AF91-B52DA94080FE.jpeg Oh dear, missed a bit in the picture, so here’s a better shot 05AF6D12-58BF-447C-AA3E-786C5A1180FF.jpeg it’ll do for me. I’ll have to crack on with it tomorrow

Comment

Progress is improving and I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, or am I dying
          anyway, still loads to do but have ordered the new exhaust kit for the Propex heater and some trim to go on the inside step. Today I’ve continued with the seating and after adding some supports for the table top and cutting its width by an inch, I found that due to those little cheeks on the front of the seat bases the bloody thing was too long. Thought about altering the bases, but went for cutting a quarter inch off the length of the table top. Anyway, it now all seems to fit together ok 37330C80-B70A-4BBF-A2B4-C9FB6CABA976.jpeg
          I then called the Memsahib out to try the bed for size. As it’s now 66 inches instead of 64, she fits the bed fine without an added foot rest/ extension. Had a go myself and although too short for me the cushions felt quite comfy. 1989CAAC-392A-4174-9825-13A66FB638F3.jpeg
          I also had to remove the old chimney from where the fridge used to be. Swine of a job all glued up with mastic. I’ve glued a bit of foam into the hole as a temporary fix and put the outer cover back on. I’ll have to refit this in the new spot before using the fridge on gas, but for now a 240v hookup will do.

Comment

Question for any other Surf owners out there, where are the extra bed bases kept to make up a double bed ? I’ve seen vans with slide out slats but no idea what’s used in 2001 Surf

Comment

Slide-out slats on my 2007 Surf, Martinez

Gill T.

Comment

Martinez Slide out slats on my 2006 model.

hobo had an earlier model, maybe he can help. He sold it to MazH but she doesn't use it in double bed mode.
                Too old to know everything!

Comment

20200920_093935.jpg this is mine

kyran

Comment

A while back whilst going to local Tip, someone had dumped an old bed at side of road. So doing my public duty I duly nicked all the slats.
                    So I do have the option of using them but I’ll have to modify the bloody seat bases again, and as I’ve got my Gas locker and Propex heater on the right I’m not sure I can do it safely I’ll try a PM to Hobo
                    Last edited by Martinez; Yesterday, 09:53.

Comment

Have a look at this sales video for a 1998 Surf. From about 7min 30sec it deals with the double bed option!
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsPle9Za6LI

Cheers

Gill T.

Comment

Martinez The later models are somewhat more sophisticated than that!

Whilst I am here ... Anybody like to comment on how easy it is to change a thermocouple on a Smev hob? gasgas or kernowjon ?

Comment

I presume you mean the thermocouple next to the gas burner so it detects the flame? It's really difficult, you might even need two tools . Just teasing. A spanner and a cup of tea.
                          I am guessing because I haven't done it for ages, but the thermocouple will be fixed in to the hob with a nut, which you undo then the t'couple falls out. There will be a very thin copper tube leading to a solenoid, though it probably looks like a cast brass block, and that end of the thin tube fits in the brass block probably with another nut. You are well capable of changing it, you have done a lot of high quality work on that van. The one thing you should do before buying the thermocouple is to measure the length of the old one. They come with different lengths: if you get one a bit too long just coil it round in circles but if it is too short, you will have to buy another longer one. You can't cut it to length. That is to say you can cut it but you will then have to throw it in the bin.
                          Thermocouples are all the same in operation, you don't need to get a SMEV one if it costs more, just go on ebay and get one the right length. This £4.39 one looks a likely candidate: It's 600mm long which should be plenty.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL...gAAOSwz7FfS~TD

The burner end has a threaded fixing and it comes with all sorts of nuts to fit every hob but make sure your solenoid end has the same fitting as in the item's picture and it's not some peculiar SMEV - ?SMEG? fitting. You cannot cut the copper tube and expect to be able to join it to the existing end.
                          We're here for a good time, not a long time.

Comment

gasgas It was me that asked the question about the thermocouple, not Martinez My handiwork would never be as good as his.

Thanks for the tip about the length, I thought I had found one for about £36 but suspected it might be too short. The 600mm one should be plenty long enough and as it is so cheap it is worth a punt, otherwise it looks like I will need to invest in excess of £30.

Comment

Sorry JimBro. £30 is ridiculous. If the cheap one doesn't fit, take yours out and take it to a plumbers merchant such as Plumb Center, where they sell gas spares. They may be able to match it. £3.50 is the sort of money I would pay for a thermocouple. £30 is 'avin a laugh. Only Dick Turpin would charge you that much.
                              We're here for a good time, not a long time.

Comment

gasgas I am pretty sure I could do the job but thought I would ask if there were any points I should consider.

We have a Plumb Center in town so I might just remove the faulty one and take it down there. I have one working burner and a grill so am not overly worried about getting the smaller burner working in a rush.

The £30+ one I found online was at a caravan spares outlet.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X