No announcement yet.

Working on my 2001 Nu Venture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Martinez Hoping it is just a cold and nothing more sinister!
    Too old to know everything!

Comment

Originally posted by JimBro View Post
      Martinez Hoping it is just a cold and nothing more sinister!
      You never know, but not showing symptoms stated by nhs. Having said that, don’t feel great today so not sure I’ll be doing much and the weekend away is starting to look less hopeful.
      Whilst I’m here, it’s become pretty obvious that a lot of the fitting issues I’ve had are due to what I can only describe as a saggy body. I’m not sure how straight and square everything was when first built, but after 19 years and 180K miles not much is within any sort of tolerance I’m used to working to !
      To be fair, some of this may be due to the cracked chassis at the rear which I had to repair and the floor replacement also done by me, but it just raises the question of how rugged these bodies are ?
      Yesterday I trial fitted the bulkhead wall between the left bed and toilet. I had to dismantle the seat again to trim the side so that I could get the bulkhead straight.
      On the other side, I had to cut a thin wedge to fill a gap under the end of the bed. That rear end of the van is obviously a stress point being made of mostly wood and carrying quite a lot of weight, wood although strong and flexible, will bend over time, and this I think is a weakness in the design.
      And before the plastic built brigade chime in to say it’s not a problem for them, fibreglass is also susceptible to movement and sag too.
      Guess it’s just something we have to live with eh

Comment

I’ve had to cancel the weekend away. Bloody Cold I picked up has laid me up for a few days so van not going to be ready in time, plus probably not good to camp out and it was a 4 hour drive too.
        Anyway, Ive kept myself busy with a few odd jobs so maybe we can get a break before it gets too cold.
        I decided to take the pump out of the toilet to check it out. All seems ok, but those rubber flap valves don’t look like they’ll last forever.
        Next, fit LED bulbs to the spot/reading lights above the beds.
        DED0966B-A2F8-4983-8495-FB22A61879C4.jpeg Easy enough to remove just 2 screws, but needed to cut the cables. 24988348-24DA-4A21-9020-5DC81A3CA8B4.jpeg These are the bulbs I’m using. You can just buy LEDs to plug in, but I’d got these spare so why not use them ? Just needed to solder a couple of wires on.
        BAF3D7D0-C2A1-4B70-A353-E7B873A918CA.jpeg 8354A445-DAD1-4EB4-9F5D-580FF2F150FC.jpeg the lamp just pushes out of the mount, then cut off the wiring. 5EA81AFF-4189-4FD0-91D9-7F5E853BC52E.jpeg I then cut a 30mm length of 15mm plastic water pipe which is a push fit into where the old bulb went. E1EAAF66-6E95-42D0-BFFA-3893539D5EFD.jpeg Like so. This will ensure the bulb protrudes enough for all the LEDs to be effective.
        F87E57EC-3F3D-471D-94D3-0F0F4D432585.jpeg Because of the taper at the back of the bulb it’s a snug fit, and a drop of silicone mastic will hold it nicely in place.
        As for the rest of the van, well it’s starting to look a lot more empty. Seating/beds are done and trim glued on. Flooring all stuck down. Electrics all work. Ah, the water.... still need to get that sorted. On top of all this I’m still finalising my brothers funeral arrangements, and his estate.

Comment

Martinez condolences about your brother, I think you are doing very well coping with the executor / next-of-kin business. Maybe at this moment the van is a therapeutic distraction. I wonder if the emotional upset has lowered your resistance, and hence the cold.
          I remain in awe of your DIY skills
          Jon
          Support the NHS go to Just Giving

Comment

Heartfelt condolences from me too, M. I'm still sorting out my mother's estate from when she died in January. You just have to take your time and do a bit at a time.

Comment

Thank you all, I caught the cold off a mate I go for a drink with. Makes you think though, it could have been Covid. In my friends defence I was aware of his cold before I arranged to meet him, but he has no family and whilst all this has been going on he had a quadruple bypass op. So, I’m sort of part of his bubble really.
              Jayjay I’m doing exactly that, I’m not an official administrator but as closest relative I’ll inherit his house and estate. Somehow I’ve become a capitalist by default

Comment

ive realy enjoyed reading your restore of your motor home,

Comment

Hey, sun is shining and I feel full of beans n vitamin D. So this morning I’ve fitted the Watermaster inlet to the van.
                  If you fancy doing this and getting rid of the old water tank under the seat (or wherever ?) it’s easy peasy. Just a few things to note.
                  521212C5-88C8-45B6-99F5-C57CE28B5F42.jpeg This is the template that comes with the unit. It’s good if you want to cut it out n stick it to the van, otherwise you’ll have to figure out the measurements yourself. I set mine to line up with the top of the electric inlet. Couldn’t get a white one to match though.
                  28F4108A-A9AC-44C3-982D-9DCE04968BD5.jpeg after marking it out, drill 4 holes around 20mm dia. D7D15178-A647-435A-9AB2-259A5B6480F5.jpeg Then simply cut it out. I used my multimaster oscillating tool, works a treat.
                  DC34FF46-3997-4FB4-AA52-9C7A098379A2.jpeg Then silicon mastic around the edges and screw into place. E92B1091-76C0-4D30-B7A3-23062A1FEAC9.jpeg On the inside it fits a vacant spot so no room wasted.
                  52C0DE8B-A36F-4C5F-9CBC-391E6855D204.jpeg Nice n neat. One of the easiest jobs I’ve had to do. You’ll need to wire it up under the sink, I just identified which orange wire was live from the isolator switch, then removed the other wire from the switch on the tap. I then fed a new wire from the the vacant connector down to the back of the inlet unit. You’ll also need an negative feed to the unit, so I took a feed from the 12v socket by the sink.
                  C711AD88-6A43-4743-8E92-C6984DAEB225.jpeg These units are very popular on caravans so spares are easy to find + if the pump fails it’s cheap n easy to replace and it has a non return valve built in so water can’t drain out. You’ll just need to flush it out if not used for a while, but that’s normal anyway.
                  Now I can just fill up a water container when I arrive on site and leave it behind when I go out in the van. It’s also a lot easier to keep clean and empty. Just make sure you check whatever container you use that the pump will fit through the hole.
                  Last edited by Martinez; 14-10-2020, 13:39.

Comment

Bloody hell, it works first time ! You’ll have to take my word for it as can’t upload a 6 second video on here.
                    Here’s the unit all wired in D77001F7-3E94-4B84-9EF0-F7224EB33529.jpeg
                    After fitting it all I noticed there were 4 stainless screws with captive nuts inside the pack.
                    I’ll just have to fit them another day. Oh, and seems my luck has changed as it clears the cover I made for the heater. Winner winner

Comment

Aha ! https://flic.kr/p/2jVajva

Comment

You have power and a water flow

Well done

Comment

I’ll keep taking the pills then
                          Had a day off today. We were supposed to be heading south but at least it was sunny so we went to Bridgnorth to check out the chazza shops. Not much on offer, hasn’t been since Covid ruled the world as we know it. It’s gone cold outside so I’m starting to appreciate my nice warm home and a pint with my mate later in the pub garden
                          Last edited by Martinez; 15-10-2020, 17:50.

Comment

Did nothing yesterday n the van. Had to fit a new heater in upstairs bathroom and reseal round the shower screen. Oh, and my cold came back great
                            So today feeling a bit better I ventured out to tackle my list of ‘bits to finish off’. Sat in the van for a couple of minutes trying to decide what to tackle first ?
                            So I decided to make the ‘flip up work surface’. Now somewhere in my workshop I knew there was a couple of aluminium piano hinges. I’ve had them kicking around for over 30 years, and after eventually finding them tucked away in a drawer I made this up
                            10A4CCC3-F4CC-4987-8E9B-74EC41C90B8F.jpeg It’ll do for now. It was the old top off the fridge enclosure, but I’ll have to find some way of supporting the outside edge as I’ll need this for the microwave when I’m cooking. Mm, seems I’m creating more jobs to do
                            There was a slight leak from under the sink so I removed it to check where. Looks like a bit more mastic needed where the pipe fits into the outlet.
                            And why is it that whenever I’ve got a length of pipe with water pouring out it always goes all over my shoes ? And I was wearing Crocs !

Comment

Had to go round to my brothers house and tidy the garden yesterday so more delays. But the pressure is also off now to get away so maybe if we get a spell of sunshine we can still get a break somewhere.
                              Managed a bit though today on the kitchen. I’ve had to modify the cupboards to fit the new and bigger sink, so I decided to tidy things up a bit by tucking any electrics away safely. I’ll also need to build a new cutlery drawer to fit, but can’t really do that until I know the size.
                              here’s my effort F977F4A3-848D-4ECB-8491-9B430713E165.jpeg A slot in the back for the waste pipe should do the trick and it’ll be nice n neat. I was thinking of fitting some plastic strips on the bottom for the drawer to slide on

Comment

Funeral went well. Just his estate to sort out. Looks like it’s going to be an ongoing issue for some time as applying for Probate.

I’m trying to decide on a water tap. I hate that old brown thing stuck like a carbuncle at the back of my shiny new sink. But now I’m starting to wonder if I chose the right water inlet system. I did notice that the Watermaster system used inlets either with or without a pressure switch. I knew i didn’t need the pressure switch type as the tap has a micro switch. But now I’m thinking if I had gone with the pressure switch I’d have more choice in which tap to use.
                                Perhaps it’s better if I just continue with my choice and just buy the tap ? Time will tell I think. I suppose I’m thinking too much about making bigger improvements/modifications and really need to ask ‘do I really need it ?’
                                On a good point, the spotlights I modified work great.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X