No announcement yet.

Working on my 2001 Nu Venture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Martinez That rod is well and truly knackered. The piston doesn't appear to be marked, did the crank seize?
    Too old to know everything!

Comment

Just started making metallic pinking noise so I turned it off, wouldn’t run after that so I pulled the front cover off and all that lot was in there. Seems there’s no support for the end of the crank so it’s obviously a weak spot !
      ive got a couple of other compressors but bought this to replace my big one as it’s same cfm but smaller tank n height.
      Ill try n break it down n see if I can get spares

Comment

Looks like it could be a rod failure through bad casting. The rod and piston are not showing any particular signs of wear but if the crank has failed then the piston may have shot out of the cylinder causing the rod failure when it collided with something...
        Too old to know everything!

Comment

Right, back to the outstanding issues. Engine warning light on !
          well my OBD2 reader won’t speak to my ecu or the other way round. I joined the Berlingo Forum when I got the van but it’s a bit quiet on there. Then I discovered the French Car Forum. Quite a busy forum and I’d recommend it to anyone with a froggy motor.
          Even on there I couldn’t get a definite idea of what the problem is, but lots of talk about Lexia which is the Citroen software for diagnostics.
          Contacted a guy not far away who offered to pop round and plug his bag of tricks in.
          What a revelation. Not only does it read a fault codes but you can actually watch each individual component on the car and see how it’s performing.
          It idetified my Mass Airflow Meter was reading a short to ground. So basically it was buggered ! It also showed poor performance from one of the injectors, but Malc who owned the tool advised that it was probably due to standing and some injector cleaner and a good run out should fix it.
          Malc it seems is a bit of a car nut and has lots of spares back at his place including he says a used MFU in good order. So he’s going to pop back and we’ll have it fixed this weekend. Interestingly (this may be where your eyes glaze over) he also asked if I’d stalled the car as the crank trigger and the camshaft trigger were out of sync ! Impressed the hell out of me. This Lexi thing also allows you to code new keys to your ecu, so basically it’s as good as anything or better than you’d get at most garages that just use OBD2.
          So next update from me should be more positive I hope.
          Still got to finish off the skirts (cosmetic) and couple of hours to weld some plates over the ends of my new crossmember and ready for mot.
          Yippee !
          oh, the revcounter not working is to do with the unit itself. So replacement required. Lexia says so, and Lexia is my new God !
          all hail Lexia. It’s the future you know

Comment

Next on the list is brake compensator spring. Another nightmare job lying on my back under the van but it’s done now. I was also looking to replace the bumpstops but wasn’t sure how they were fitted. Well, soon found out when one fell off leaving the rusted bolt stuck in the chassis. Great ! Got that sorted and the other one did the same.
            I cant fit the new bumpstops as the steel cups they fit into are also rusted beyond use so double bummer !
            Oh yes. And just to add to the pile, I rang up for some insurance today. Been quoted £200 fully comp which seemed reasonable, until that is it was pointed out to me that my van is registered as a van with windows ! As such the insurance is £300 ! So I rang dvla as haven’t received new v5c yet.
            Either they’ve lost the paperwork or it hasn’t been sent. So I have to download the forms to apply for reg docs and another form for Sorn.
            Also included a letter explaining the van was actually built and registered in 2001 by Nu Venture and asking for the changes to be made.
            Knowing my luck I’ll hear nothing for weeks and then they’ll fail to change the details. Triple bummer !
            Last edited by Martinez; 11-05-2019, 22:53.

Comment

List is getting smaller. Not heard anything from bloke with Lexia so I’ll pop out n buy a MAF unit tomorrow. Weather better now so I can weld the last 2 end plates to the crossmember I made the I’ll need a new n/s headlight as it’s gone brown inside. I spent some time on Sunday tidying up underneath at the rear. The rear panel was not attached to the floor, so I bent up a length of thin aluminium I had lying about and used some stainless screws to fix it. I also covered over the 2 cutouts where the jacks had been and must admit it looks very tidy now. Spent a couple of hours tonight sanding the side skirts. I’ve fixed all the damage and just need to fill n paint. I know from experience that the cracks will reappear if I don’t grind the out n fill them, so I can do that at same time. I’ve discovered that one of the skirts has been repaired before and not that well ! It must weigh 2kgs more than the opposite one, so more sanding required there then. Nearly there now, I hope !

Comment

Originally posted by Martinez View Post
                Next on the list is brake compensator spring. Another nightmare job lying on my back under the van but it’s done now. I was also looking to replace the bumpstops but wasn’t sure how they were fitted. Well, soon found out when one fell off leaving the rusted bolt stuck in the chassis. Great ! Got that sorted and the other one did the same.
                I cant fit the new bumpstops as the steel cups they fit into are also rusted beyond use so double bummer !
                Oh yes. And just to add to the pile, I rang up for some insurance today. Been quoted £200 fully comp which seemed reasonable, until that is it was pointed out to me that my van is registered as a van with windows ! As such the insurance is £300 ! So I rang dvla as haven’t received new v5c yet.
                Either they’ve lost the paperwork or it hasn’t been sent. So I have to download the forms to apply for reg docs and another form for Sorn.
                Also included a letter explaining the van was actually built and registered in 2001 by Nu Venture and asking for the changes to be made.
                Knowing my luck I’ll hear nothing for weeks and then they’ll fail to change the details. Triple bummer !
                you'll need to send some photoes of the van inside and out for them to change it to motor caravan
                i do not think nu venture bother to change it

kyran

Comment

Just the news I need Kyran. After I follow their advice

Comment

lease put some plastic washers between the stainless screws and the aluminium otherwise you will get rampant electrolytic corrorion arround the hjoles in the aluminium.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
                      lease put some plastic washers between the stainless screws and the aluminium otherwise you will get rampant electrolytic corrorion arround the hjoles in the aluminium.

Peter
                      Well, it won’t be as bad as using non stainless screws like Nu Venture did !
                      I’ll be using silicon mastic when I do final job. The whole of the rear floor needs replacing. The rusting jacks holed the floor from underneath and the leaking bog has put paid to the wood. I’m just trying to get it back on the road ASAP. It’ll need new cills next year too, they’ve been patched up in the past but my experience tells me the inner cills will be corroded and better to catch it before it spreads into the floors.
                      On a more positive note, picked up a used MAF today for £20 and no longer have engine light on.
                      Also, I’ve been in touch with a bloke in Poland about MAD spring assisters. He says he’s got none to fit my van (based on Vin number) but he has !
                      seems because mine is based on a chassis/cab it’s not listed by MAD! At £110 inc shipping he’s a lot cheaper than others so I’ll try n convince him it’s an oversight or something.
                      So I case you’ve never seen these things, after much searching I found them on a Polish website Oh, and the smarter ones among you will realise I’ve wasted £10 on the new bumpstops, cos you don’t need em with these !762275A9-2458-4606-8CC2-75847EE68842.jpeg9A7113AA-9579-4E9A-BADE-A8DA1547C0AB.jpeg

Comment

Hi, the stainless screws wont rust but the galvanic reaction between stainless and aluminium is greater than between mild steel and aluminium. (I have plenty of experience of this as I own a classic land rover and it has suffered greatly from this problem.)

Peter

Comment

I’ve welded a couple of Landrovers over the years, never seen any stainless on them though. And I’ve seen more damaged ally through rusty fixings than with stainless. I know the science says it should be worse but then again, you and me and our vans will be long gone by the time it’s a problem.
                          Im not sure on this but was told that iron rust creates an acid that causes the problem, it’s even worse on wood.

Comment

I too have had dealings with quite a few land rovers over the years, from 1966 in fact. Both mild steel and the aluminium corrode together and yes you get a mess but when stainles (always seems to be when someone has got a supply of metric stainless fittings) the corrosion on the aluminium is much worse. Everytime I replace something om my land rover I try to make sure that there is a non metal barrier between the 2 parts, paint, sealant plastic washers etc. It seems to pay off, my land rover is over 60 years old.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Martinez View Post
                              Right, back to the outstanding issues. Engine warning light on !
                              well my OBD2 reader won’t speak to my ecu or the other way round. I joined the Berlingo Forum when I got the van but it’s a bit quiet on there. Then I discovered the French Car Forum. Quite a busy forum and I’d recommend it to anyone with a froggy motor.
                              Even on there I couldn’t get a definite idea of what the problem is, but lots of talk about Lexia which is the Citroen software for diagnostics.
                              Contacted a guy not far away who offered to pop round and plug his bag of tricks in.
                              What a revelation. Not only does it read a fault codes but you can actually watch each individual component on the car and see how it’s performing.
                              It idetified my Mass Airflow Meter was reading a short to ground. So basically it was buggered ! It also showed poor performance from one of the injectors, but Malc who owned the tool advised that it was probably due to standing and some injector cleaner and a good run out should fix it.
                              Malc it seems is a bit of a car nut and has lots of spares back at his place including he says a used MFU in good order. So he’s going to pop back and we’ll have it fixed this weekend. Interestingly (this may be where your eyes glaze over) he also asked if I’d stalled the car as the crank trigger and the camshaft trigger were out of sync ! Impressed the hell out of me. This Lexi thing also allows you to code new keys to your ecu, so basically it’s as good as anything or better than you’d get at most garages that just use OBD2.
                              So next update from me should be more positive I hope.
                              Still got to finish off the skirts (cosmetic) and couple of hours to weld some plates over the ends of my new crossmember and ready for mot.
                              Yippee !
                              oh, the revcounter not working is to do with the unit itself. So replacement required. Lexia says so, and Lexia is my new God !
                              all hail Lexia. It’s the future you know
                              I fully concur....... The main dealers are head scratching regards the intermittent fault I am having on my Citroen Dispatch (Nu Venture Rio) and as you know I have been conversing with the chaps on FCF about the problem. I will be off to Poole in two weeks for a live diagnostic session with a Lexia lappy in the hope while out on a road test the system will register something that will offer a direction of investigation. I have also been running good grade fuel and cleaner for the last 457 miles but still have the occasional misfire. Such a shame that you have not heard back!! I want to buy a OBD2 reader just in case I need to reset a code just to get me moved to a safe place but have no idea what one. Good luck with your project and I do hope your chappie comes through with a part for you.

Comment

Still not heard from the guy with Lexia so went to breakers yard and picked a genuine Siemens MAF for £20. Stuck it on and light now goes out as it should.
                                Finished off the last bit of welding today (I hope) so just waiting for new headlight to arrive. Found one on Fleabay for £22 new, bloke up the road wanted £25 used so he can sod off.
                                I’m minded to replace the brake shoes as they’re a bit low, and whist I’ve got the thing jacked up n the wheels off I’d be a fool not to take the opportunity.
                                Trying to think of what else it needs for mot. Could I actually be near completion ?
                                Na, just remembered the side skirts. Couple of days work there still. Ho hum
                                i shouldn’t be lying under a van in all weathers at my age, I should be out the riding the wind whilst the sun shines. I haven’t even started my bike up yet this year !
                                160B6FB7-13F3-4FB8-9268-5181C0E0A0E6.jpeg

Comment