No announcement yet.

Working on my 2001 Nu Venture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got round to Waxoiling under the rear of the van today. I hate this job n have put it off for too long. My mot tester likes to see the brakepipes are greased, so easy option is Waxoil. I’ve tried numerous ways and spray units to put this stuff on and have to say none of them work that well !
    So my trick is to dilute it 50% with white spirit, then spray it on with one of those cheap handheld water spray things from your local hardware store. Works a treat and less mess too. So covered all the pipes and inside the new crossmember and on top of the underseal and it looks pretty good under there now. Better than when it left the factory !
    wheels are on and it’s now sitting on all 4 of them. The rear end has better ground clearance now, due partly I think to me jacking the van up from the back before welding the chassis rails. The new spring assisters are doing their job too. So the list is getting smaller by the day. I’ve trial fitted the skirts and need to do little bit of filling on the body to fit, otherwise they look good. I’ll paint them after mot. Not happy with how floppy they are so I’m looking at fitting some stays from the rear crossmember to the inside of the skits. This should give them a bit more stability and stop them flapping around like John Waynes saddlebags. Got a meeting in morning so hopefully my other bits arrive by time I get home

Comment

Martinez I have changed the title of the thread from “Hi” to “Working on my 2001 Nu Venture” so that it describes the content of the thread better, hope that’s ok, it’ll help people find the interesting content.

Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Ooo I’ve been upgraded with new title to reflect the content. I think #¥***#¥ing Campervan is more accurate but I’ll accept whatever you think fits

Comment

Waxoyling is a horrible job I agree. I have a Romahome and a classic land rover that both need treatment. I acquired a pump spray used for break cleaner fluid and it copes with the dreaded waxoyl quite well. It lives on a shelf in the garage where it gets the sun to warm it up but I too dilute it with white spirit. Apart from an annual regime of front to back on both vehicles every time I do a job the spray comes out and the are around the job gets a dose. My land rover is over 60 years old and is still on its original chassis. I have another spray that contains a mixture of waxoyl and diesel and this is just for the land rove leaf springs. If my land rover isn't used 2 or 3 times a week it sulks and the springs begin to rust and seize but the spray helps to prevent that and thus improve the ride marginally.

Comment

Land rovers. I remember the chassis standing outside rusting for weeks back in the 70s ! I’ve welded a few outriggers in my time, but it just spreads.
            Another headlight arrived today so I’ve got the proper ones in now. I’ve also had to order a new front sidelight as even though I glued it back together all the bits that hold it in place have been snapped off at some point. Also found bulb gone in other side so I’ll pick one up tomorrow.
            Been going over the van making sure all is bolted down properly, so original seats are in n bolted up tight, gear knob fitted but need a gaitor.
            I picked up a used actuator from a breakers to see if I can codge it to fit the cruise control. Mm, very interesting. There’s only 4 wires go to the actuator on mine and this thing has 10. I’ve had a look inside and it looks like there’s a stepper motor with lots of gears and what I think may be an electronic clutch. More investigation needed on that little project then but just thought for £8-50 I’d risk it against the £200 replacement part !
            I'm starting to run out of things to get done for mot, so it must be nearly done then, or is it ?
            theres still lots to do afterwards like fixing the rear floor, fixing the rear door, refitting the toilet, fitting the fridge under the cooker or sink, making new cushions to convert to 2 berth, fitting TV, new door speakers, new seats, servicing the heater, cooker n fridge, reversing camera and radar, HAVING A HOLIDAY and I still haven’t tackled the hole in the roof yet !
            Last edited by Martinez; 31-05-2019, 22:01.

Comment

We have 4 classic land rovers in the familyon the road, the newsest was built in 1959 and at the moment the oldest was built in 1951. My nephew is part way though the rebuild of a 1949. All are on their original chassis, at least there is something to get hold of to repair.

We had cruise control fitted to our Romahome when it was new 12 years ago. Being a DW8 engine the system is mechanical using a vacuum operated actuator on the pump throttle arm but of course the speed control is electronic, the signals coming from the speed sensor wiring. I wouldnt be without it.

When you get round to the caravan part of the wiring check the split charge and fridge supply wiring. I have had to rewire both and I took the cables from the engine compartment into the cab using cable glands as per the way Romahome did it originally

Peter

Comment

I’m trying not to think about the wiring in the van. I’ve disconnected it from the engine battery as it drawing current, so I’ll have to investigate further.
                Theres also the solar panel that’ll need sorting and as the leisure battery only holds around 20% charge, I’ll have to get a new one.
                So that’s more added to my list then. I’ve got to move the fridge from behind the passenger seat to the more usual kitchen area. So I’ll have to move gas pipes too. Luckily, my gas blown heater is fitted next to sink under the bunk so I’ll tap off that. Need first to check gas regs before fitting.
                Try though I might, I can’t get the top section of the rear door to close properly. It looks like it’s been forced open so has a twist in it.
                But some of this can be done later. First I need the bloody mot !

Comment

The joys of owning an older van.
                  If you want good advice about gas - ask gasgas he is the resident expert. On our older demountable - I discovered the gas used 6mm pipes. - When I changed this to 8mm the Propex blown air heater began to work. 6mm was not delivering enough gas.
                  The invaluable tool I bought was a little pipe bender https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Pipe...kAAOSwPVBcdmON

I went to Screwfix and bought an aerosol of leak detector and a small bottle of liquid PTFE - I already owned a mini pipe cutter.

Anyway that little investment allowed me to install a new gas system and the security of knowing it is gas tight.

​​​​​​​Jon

Comment

I remember being asked to get some 3/8’’ seamless copper pipe for a narrowboat and the builder was very specific it had to be 3/8.
                    Couldn’t get any locally it was al 10mm. So I had to order it in. Arrived next day and I went to collect it with an order for some fittings to connect it up. So gave over my order to the shop for the fittings to which he said ‘you’ll have to have converters with them mate, it’s all metric now !’
                    four candles anyone ?
                    the heater is already in so I’ll service it but that’s all, I’ll probably T off that somewhere for the fridge. Fridges don’t use much gas so it should be ok

Comment

Doomed ! Van all ready for MOT at 2-20pm yesterday, so take it down there and turns out it’s too tall to fit on the ramp ! Advised to try another place across town who does commercial vehicles, but seems he buggered off for the day. So this morning I’ve got to sit round until about 10am then ring up to see when he can do it. I’m only insured for a week which runs out next Wednesday, and I’m working on Monday n Tuesday so it could all go Pete Tong. On top of this, having driven it a couple of miles, I’m not sure the brakes may need a little work. Could be the callipers are sticking a bit but no time to check n fix. Apart from that it drives really well and the 2.0hdi engine keeps up with normal traffic, handling seems pretty good for a tall old bus too. Oh, more tales of woe re dvla. V5 finally arrives and regardless of my letter included with my application, no change made to it and no advice included on how to get changes made, just a leaflet telling me to tax it ! So, I spent a little time filling in the complaints form as I’m sick of their incompetence.

Comment

2 things,

When the brakes are functioning correctly they should be excellent, our local MOT tester says that our Romahome comes up with some of the best figures on their machine and the handbrake is exceptional.

I am Vehicle Registrations Officer for the series 2 land Rover club and I have many dealings with DVLA. Only ever ask them to make 1 change at a time, keep copies of everything you send and make sure you send it signed for. They are beggars for claiming that they have never recieved docs but surprisingly as soon as you tell them the date it was delivered and who signed for it they find the docs.

Good luck
                        Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Martinez View Post
                          Doomed ! Van all ready for MOT at 2-20pm yesterday, so take it down there and turns out it’s too tall to fit on the ramp ! Advised to try another place across town who does commercial vehicles, but seems he buggered off for the day. So this morning I’ve got to sit round until about 10am then ring up to see when he can do it. I’m only insured for a week which runs out next Wednesday, and I’m working on Monday n Tuesday so it could all go Pete Tong. On top of this, having driven it a couple of miles, I’m not sure the brakes may need a little work. Could be the callipers are sticking a bit but no time to check n fix. Apart from that it drives really well and the 2.0hdi engine keeps up with normal traffic, handling seems pretty good for a tall old bus too. Oh, more tales of woe re dvla. V5 finally arrives and regardless of my letter included with my application, no change made to it and no advice included on how to get changes made, just a leaflet telling me to tax it ! So, I spent a little time filling in the complaints form as I’m sick of their incompetence.
                          I sent these photoes in with a letter asking them to change it to a motor caravan
                          20170411_153554.jpg20170411_153452.jpg20170411_153355.jpg20170411_153503.jpg20170411_153417.jpg20170411_153635.jpg20170411_153439.jpg20170411_153615.jpg

Comment

Bugger dvla for now, it ain’t gonna fix my van !
                            now to the good news,
                            there ain’t none !
                            van failed mot.
                            D719599D-9AF3-405B-A6A1-805F542086B0.jpeg
                            But actually it’s not that bad.
                            so, 3 bulbs need replacing, I hadn’t noticed this !
                            welding, seems sill damaged by jacking up. Oops, could have been me ! Didn’t notice this either
                            rear brakes, need to investigate this but new shoes may be the fix needed.
                            Other than that, I had to leave the van at mot station and walk 3 miles home. Also left my brolly in the van and it chucked it down on me.
                            Tomorrow is another day and the end is in sight............I hope !

Comment

[QUOTE=kyran;n317443]

I sent these photoes in with a letter asking them to change it to a motor caravanQUOTE]

The V5c says you have to fill in the changes and send entire document back to them. My experience is this is just a way of them losing it and telling you it’s £25 for a new one ! Then when you receive the new one without the changes you needed, you just need to fill it in and send it off again !
                              absolute madness !

Comment

[QUOTE=Martinez;n317464]
                                Originally posted by kyran View Post

I sent these photoes in with a letter asking them to change it to a motor caravanQUOTE]

The V5c says you have to fill in the changes and send entire document back to them. My experience is this is just a way of them losing it and telling you it’s £25 for a new one ! Then when you receive the new one without the changes you needed, you just need to fill it in and send it off again !
                                absolute madness !
                                If you read the instructions - for conversions they say a photo showing part of the interior and the reg plate - I have always left the back door open. Maybe different when it is a convertion company's oversight.
                                I hope you get on OK with the MoT - not long before you'll be on the road!
                                Jon

Comment