No announcement yet.

Working on my 2001 Nu Venture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went outside today as not raining, jacked up van and put axle stands under it, then ....................rain again !
    Looks like same tomorrow too !

Comment

After another short break from it raining I managed to get under and do a better assessment of what’s needed. After considering the options I decided that it would be easier to cut the front off the sill and weld it than having to lie under the van practicing to be a contortionist !
      looks like a bit more work than I really wanted but not that bad. I’ve done worse, but can’t remember when
      CEB70829-B1E4-4BB4-AB2E-2224F77A8135.jpeg

Comment

I can understand your frustration with all this rain!... I'm waiting to put some very smelly filler into the bodywork of my caravan, and I can't do it without having the window and door open because of the fumes. So I have to wait on a dry day... if we ever get one!

Comment

I’ve got work tomorrow and Thursday and Wednesday looks like more rain, hopefully the weekend may be my last hope of ever getting the bloody job done !

Comment

Managed to start the welding after rain stopped. Need to remind myself not to keep poking about and just patch it up for mot. Trouble is I’m not used to budging things, goes against my nature !

Comment

Just remember

Do things properly and you do them once

Bodge it and you will have to do it again

Peter

Comment

Good advice, if I want to spend another 3 months on it !
                bodge it now, fix it next year !
                its already been bodged and my bodge is better, just remember that when you go to a garage.
                Good news is v5 arrived so I now own a Motor Caravan and not a van with side windows.
                Bad news is, I’m not well so did nothing yesterday, I’ll see how I feel today.
                Im almost out of gas to weld with too, Hope there’s just enough in the bottle, it wasn’t helped by the cheap regulator I was using started leaking, no idea how much gas was wasted.
                Live still got to fix the big hole in the roof too, and there’s a leak somewhere in the rear, it may be around the door, but looks like the cause of the floor rot
                Last edited by Martinez; 22-06-2019, 09:48.

Comment

I understand what you mean about correcting other people's bodges. When I got my land rover I spent the first year or so putting right the bodges that an independent land rover repairer had charged the PO (who was my friend) good money for.

Peter

Comment

VICTORY !
                    164CABAF-9F2A-44C4-B257-01C9016C4F2C.jpeg
                    just need to grind it down n tidy it up then paint. It’s never what you can see that the real work has been done. These sills are made up of an inner sill, strengthening panel then an outer sill. If the outer sill is rotten then you can bet the rest needs doing as well. Garages just put a patch on, but you really need to cut into it. It’s easier to cut the front sill panel out then rebuild it from the back forwards. So can’t wait til next year when I cut both off and do a proper job eh !
                    6EB78B3A-42B0-40C0-878D-77A2FB761E21.jpeg

Comment

Managed to tidy up the welding and then rain again, am I cursed or what ?
                      So it’ll be Wednesday before I can even look at the brakes and then try n get it booked in for another mot.
                      Now ive got new V5 I thought I’d ring up for Advance insurance, best quote online was £200 but after ringing them up they tell me best they can do is £290 !
                      what is it with this company ? 3 times I’ve rang now n every time there’s some bloody excuse as to why they can’t offer me the quote I got online, they also always say ‘well ring you back in 10 minutes’ and never do. So bugger them I’ll go elsewhere

Comment

Took couple of days off work after feeling unwell, ok today so been out n fitted new shoes to rear. Bugger of a job but all went together ok until I tried handbrake, cables are really slack now and takes 8 clicks to effect brake. Don’t get this as I was expecting to have to slacken brake not adjust it up !?
                        im just hoping they bed in and pass mot on Friday.
                        Also, apart from worn shoes, the brake that failed test had oil contamination on drum and there was evidence of grease leaking from wheel bearing. I’ve cleaned it up and doubt it’ll be an issue again until it gets hot, but looks like another bloody job for the list !
                        got work in morning so need to fix tomorrow pm for test next day, still not sorted insurance so I’ll have to get my finger out !

Comment

And the verdict is ....... mot passed!
                          ill tax it Monday then try n enjoy it

Comment

Well done. I hope she rewards you with many happy camping times

Comment

Originally posted by Martinez View Post
                              And the verdict is ....... mot passed!
                              ill tax it Monday then try n enjoy it
                              Well done

Comment

Wot he said

Well done

Comment