No announcement yet.

Working on my 2001 Nu Venture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems ages since I started all this, but it ain’t over yet. Still loads to do but if the brakes still work on Monday I’ll take first trip out next week. Not too far at first then extend the distance. God knows when cambelt was done so I’d better look at doing that. Time for a new list ! Bugger

Comment

At least the cambelt is a straightforward job on the earlier DW8s.

Peter

Comment

I recall you saying at the start "it was the right price". Presumably judging from the amount of work needed the right price was £100? Or did they pay you £100 to take it away? Have you gone through the thought process I often do which is 'If I had gone out to work for the time I spent on it, I could have bought a new one'?
        Still, we all need something to do in our retirement, eh? I realise you are not quite retired, but you know what I mean?
        Just out of interest did you try to find out what the price / availability of new sills is? Sometimes they are less than you think and sometimes they are 100 times what you would reasonably pay.

I've just spent months doing up an old caravan, and spent the whole time thinking "I'm not going to do this again".

There again, I have just tried opening the roof window on my 2,300 mile old AutoSleeper and it is busted, it won't open and it won't close so at least I have something to do when I find out how to fix it. Then try and work out why it broke and see if I can build the thing properly, unlike the manufacturers.
        Blessed are those who find wisdom, those who gain understanding. Proverbs 3

Comment

BADAA279-310E-4775-853F-FF923B4571B0.jpeg35E34F18-F1C1-4A93-88DC-9E1C0BB4A03F.jpeg I bought it for £4400 thinking it didn’t need too much doing. I’ve said numerous times to my partner that I wish I’d just bought one that was roadworthy, but, having looked at one 2 years older and driven the 1.9D variant, I couldn’t see how I could loose ! It was half the price, it drove well, the engine was good even with 180,000 miles and whatever was wrong with it I would be aware of, unlike the other one for twice the price which had been tarted up to sell. Better to fix it this year than spend double the money on something I’ll end up fixing next year !
          Anyway, the worst of it is done now and if we’d had better weather I’d have done it quicker.
          Sills are £40 each up the road from me. I bought a wheel bearing for the rear yesterday for £27 locally as I think the seals gone on the o/s which caused the brakes to fail mot.
          Today I’ve filled the bloody great hole in the roof ready to fit my new smaller Rooflight. Ironically, whilst doing this I had a call from a bloke trying to sell his Marcos. He said he felt he was getting too old for it and wanted to spend more time touring in his Motorhome. He told me he’d just forked out £500 to replace the broken Rooflight ! Small world eh ?
          Anyway, gave him advice on selling it and got the Fein Multimaster out and cut the top part of the Heiki 2 frame off leaving just the flange part where it fixes to the roof and sanded it flat. Then I cut a piece of laminated plastic n aluminium stuff to fit on top. I’ve used stainless self tappers to screw this into the original fixing brackets on the flange, only from above. This has effectively sandwiched the old frame part between the sheet on top and the frame fixings inside the Van.
          All went well, but that non setting mastic stuff is a horror to used, it gets everywhere. What a bloody mess, and it didn’t fit the mastic gun I had in the van. Anyway, hopefully it’s watertight for now and I can pop it off again and cut the hole for the 400mm Rooflight another day. I’ve also got another bit of the sheeting to make an inner roof inside the void in the original Rooflight which I’ll stick some insulation into (if that makes sense) and I’ll make a frame also from wood.
          By the way, the sheeting is white on other side !

Comment

I know what you mean about that non setting mastic, I have used four tubes of it on my caravan. Still, it does clean off with petrol. I have left the surplus oozing out of the joints where it doesn't detract from the looks of the van, so people in future can tell it has been done.
            I think you have done well to get it at half the price of another one which may well have been bodged, I doubt that you would have earned £4,000 after tax if you had gone out to work for the same number of hours, and even then you would still have to repair the bodges.
            Blessed are those who find wisdom, those who gain understanding. Proverbs 3

Comment

I’m sure there’s lots of other bodges yet to be found ! But it was loved once and it will be again.
              Heres a thought, what if I polish up the aluminium on that rooflight ? Then I could get mirror tiles for the rest of the ceiling, good eh ?

Comment

Originally posted by kyran View Post
                Wot he said

Well done
                and me too! Well done!

Get that cambelt changed as soon as possible!
                Last edited by jayjay; 02-07-2019, 10:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Martinez View Post
                  All went well, but that non setting mastic stuff is a horror to used, it gets everywhere. What a bloody mess, and it didn’t fit the mastic gun I had in the van. Anyway, hopefully it’s watertight for now and I can pop it off again and cut the hole for the 400mm Rooflight another day. I’ve also got another bit of the sheeting to make an inner roof inside the void in the original Rooflight which I’ll stick some insulation into (if that makes sense) and I’ll make a frame also from wood.
                  By the way, the sheeting is white on other side !
                  You can get mastic tape for jobs like this... I used it recently to good effect resealing a rubber window seal back to the body of my caravan. It's just like very thick heavy double sided tape... but you only get one chance to join two things together, it sticks like... you know what.

Here's the one I used. It comes in different widths, so be sure to get the right width for the job if you decide to use it! Don't buy the cheap stuff, it's not worth the money. This brand I can recommend.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/19172770659...SABEgI-nvD_BwE

Comment

I’ll look at giving it a try thanks

Comment

Well, just been out for little run back up M54 and looks like issue with brakes has resolved itself. Nice n progressive now and pedal travel is ok.
                      Quick question, another Motorhome went past me at a junction n waved, is that the norm ?

Comment

Another motorhome or another Romahome ?

In general you probably will get waved at from other Romahomers, maybe other motorhomes of a similar size and ilk.

You are unlikely to get a friendly wave from the big, in your face, vans as due to their great height (and toffy noses!) they are likely to not see us!!!

I used to wave to anything I thought was a motorhome and got many a startled look from the white van man about his daily grind!!!

Comment

I did the same to an Ice Cream van last week - Very embarrassing!

Comment

Originally posted by Martinez View Post
                            Quick question, another Motorhome went past me at a junction n waved, is that the norm ?
                            I usually start off waving at others in similar vehicles but a negative return soon discourages me from waving further.

Comment

Well it was a big Motorhome. He went past me at junction then when we got to traffic lights at Cosford he moved to outside lane and I went past him on inside. What I failed to notice was the van with a bloody great camera lens sticking out the back !
                              ill have to wait n see if I get a ticket now. Bugger

Comment

Last time I did that I was a Motorcycle Courier in London caught by an off duty cop on the A40 coming in from Uxbridge I was coming off for the Hanger Lane Gyratory - Driving Without Care and Attention was the charge - no ticket for that in the 1980s - a summons and trip to the magistrate courts. A fine plus 3 points back then. The best bit was he was in his own car so could not do me for going past at between 80 to 85 That could have cost me a few more points.

Jon

Comment