Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New purchase

Originally posted by niloc View Post
    Romini caravans are remarkably long lived and are turning up still in regular use - and increasingly expensive to buy. In the Club's search for the oldest Island Plastics/Romahome still in use, many of these rare caravans are turning up. I would like to find out how many we can trace so if you have one, or know someone who has, please look for the Build Number and put it on here. The Build Number can be found on the top hinge of the back door, or on the top of the wardrobe door or on the towbar.

Over to you:

Thanks
    Colin
    Hello Colin. I have just bought a Romini caravan, Build number 786098, 1986, so I'm probably not going to qualify for the oldest still in use! How many have you found so far?

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Suemeb View Post
      Hello Colin. I have just bought a Romini caravan, Build number 786098, 1986, so I'm probably not going to qualify for the oldest still in use! How many have you found so far?

Sue
      Hi Sue.
      I do not suppose that we will ever know where the oldest (original I.O.W. Island Plastics) Romini still in use is, nor even if the hinge markings were adopted right from the beginning. Though I reckon that mine must be one of the latest or even the last. Manufactured in 1986.
      The construction though is such that I imagine that almost all of those not involved in accidents or absolute neglect have surely survived.
      It would be really interesting if someone with more savvy than me organised a Romini only rally via facebook and via any suitable forums etc. It could be a real eye opener.
      Jim.
      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Hi there

Our number on the door hinge is written differently as 85057 which we are presuming is 1985, number 5. Does this mean Hetty could be one of the oldest still surviving?

Regards
        Sandra & Trevor

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
          It would be really interesting if someone with more savvy than me organised a Romini only rally via facebook and via any suitable forums etc. It could be a real eye opener. Jim.
          Err, why not via this forum?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
          Graham
          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
            Err, why not via this forum?

I know there are a few Romini owners on here Graham. But I suspect they qre only a small percentage of the surviving total. And I also suspect that most Romini owners, like me, have found this "Small MOTORHOME" forum more by accident than intent.
            I have noted that quite a few contributors on here use Facebook and other social sites which just might reign in Romini owners who could not be communicated with on here.

I am not trying to be-little your wonderful initiative and achievement in founding this wonderful forum. But I am sure there are many small motorhome owners who have not yet found it - never mind Romini owners.

Jim.

Comment

Sorry Jim I should have put a little smiley on the end of my comment, it was tongue in cheek.

I am not aware of any other group that is specifically for Romini owners either on Facebook or the Internet so although we only have a few it's probably the biggest online.

Our meta tags are populated with Romini words and there are lots of mentions of Rominis on here and the website so any owner searching would find us as lots have. I have had requests to sell them from dozens of owners and most have been successfully sold on our website.

Graham
              Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

I asked this question about the Demountables and got about two replies ?

Comment

So is Hetty possibly one of the oldest?

Comment

Originally posted by Hettysmates View Post
                    So is Hetty possibly one of the oldest?
                    Since we have no proof that the seemingly most commonly arranged numbers date back to early productions you could possibly be right.
                    I have always hoped that someone involved in the numbering at Island Plastics would confirm or deny our interpretation.
                    I would dearly love to know for certain that mine was the last.
                    Not that it matters much, but it could be the end of an era.
                    Jim.

Comment

This intrigued me so I sent an email to Romahome asking if there were any employee's who would know about the numbers relating to the age of the Romini's . I had a reply from DJAB LTD who said "There are no employee's left working who would know but we think the first one was built in 1980 and could be number 08001" Is this any help to any of you or is it "complete waffle" ?

Comment

Very enterprising Pendel, but all seem to be marked with SIX digits - one ALWAYS a "7" which no one has explained yet.
                        It would be nice to be sure that our interpretation of the hinge numbers is correct, but I think we must just hope that someone actually involved with stamping those numbers happens to come across this thread and confirms or amends our interpretation.
                        Thanks for the try though.
                        There must be someone around who can verify or contradict our interpretation. Not everyone who worked on building them must be retired or deceased yet. I believe mine may be the last (199) built probably in 1998.
                        Jim.

Comment

I agree , they cant all have "kicked the bucket" can they. I will have a look on facebook and see if there is a group on Isle Of Wight . Maybe someone on there will have a granddad who worked on the Romini.

Comment