Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's better now than it was before this new chap took over as webmaster but we must remember that the webmaster is a voluntary post and (as far as I know) he gets no payment, he may well have a full time job too.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
      I think it's better now than it was before this new chap took over as webmaster but we must remember that the webmaster is a voluntary post and (as far as I know) he gets no payment, he may well have a full time job too.
      Understood,wrist slapped.
      Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Well said Graham. The alternative to criticising voluntary activities is to volunteer to take it over.
        The criticism we used to get on the workparty labouring towards restoration of the Chesterfield Canal, by people who freely enjoyed the improving environment/asset was amazing. We were either not working fast enough, or we had not mown the grass a mile back lately, our concrete mixer was too noisy............. None ever volunteered to join the half dozen of us to improve the facility they enjoyed. It was easier to be unhappy with the progress. That we had turned five miles of open sewer and five VERY derelict locks into a useable waterway for boating and fishing etc. was slacking!
        Jim.
        Last edited by Twolitre; 08-10-2010, 16:13.
        Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
          Well said Graham. The alternative to criticising voluntary activities is to volunteer to take it over.
          The criticism we used to get on the workparty labouring towards restoration of the Cheterfield Canal, by people who freely enjoyed the improving environment/asset was amazing. We were either not working fast enough, or we had not mown the grass a mile back lately, our concrete mixer was too noisy............. None ever volunteered to join the half dozen of us to improve the facility they enjoyed. It was easier to be unhappy with the progress. That we had turned five miles of open sewer and five VERY derelict locks into a useable waterway for boating and fishing etc. was slacking!
          Jim.
          Whooa hold on jim, You`re not the only one who has done voluntry work I ran a sports club for years.
          My point still stands that the front page of our club website has not been updated since june,and that gives a poor impression.
          I will not be critised for holding a valid viewpoint.
          And I dont think its good enough to hold the "if you dont like it you do it"attitude!
          Last edited by Ian.C.S; 08-10-2010, 14:38.

Comment

Sorry Ian, I just re-read my post.
            It was not meant as a personal attack on you, just an observation on prevalent attitudes. I should be more careful how I phrase things.
            Jim.
            Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
              Sorry Ian, I just re-read my post.
              It was not meant as a personal attack on you, just an observation on prevalent attitudes. I should be more careful how I phrase things.
              Jim.
              no worry chum,
              Look forward to having a pint with you at the next meet.
              Ian
              Last edited by Ian.C.S; 08-10-2010, 16:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                Understood,wrist slapped.
                Hi Ian,

It wasn't intended as a wrist slap, just my opinion. I am sure Pauline will tell you what a lot of hard work there is involved in running and keeping a website up to date, it is a labour of love.
                Graham
                Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                  Hi Ian,

It wasn't intended as a wrist slap, just my opinion. I am sure Pauline will tell you what a lot of hard work there is involved in running and keeping a website up to date, it is a labour of love.
                  Yes I was going to say how hard it can be, no sooner getting up to date when something new comes along.

It can very easily become a full time job, you should see my "to do" list, it is a case of cross one thing off, add two!

A labour of love yes but worth every minute

Comment

Originally posted by Pauline View Post
                    Yes I was going to say how hard it can be, no sooner getting up to date when something new comes along.

It can very easily become a full time job, you should see my "to do" list, it is a case of cross one thing off, add two!

A labour of love yes but worth every minute
                    Pauline,we all appreciate all that you and Graham do I`m sure,but my point is that the Roma club web site front page has not been updated for FIVE months.

I think we had better shut this thread down its going round in circles and I seem to be upsetting the folk here ,while the Roma club just sit silent.
                    Sorry Pauline,I will go back to poetry and butterflies.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                      Pauline,we all appreciate all that you and Graham do I`m sure,but my point is that the Roma club web site front page has not been updated for FIVE months.

I think we had better shut this thread down its going round in circles and I seem to be upsetting the folk here ,while the Roma club just sit silent.
                      Sorry Pauline,I will go back to poetry and butterflies.
                      Don't worry Ian you are permitted your views and I'm sure you are not upsetting people, you certainly haven't upset Graham or me.

It is possible that you were misunderstood, as it might be thought you meant the whole site had not been updated but you meant the front page. Often getting across in words what you mean can be hard as the intonation and facial expression are lost when you are not talking face to face.

Comment

Actually Ian I think you have made a valuable point. The trouble is that websites are actually a big advert for the club. Argueably one of the most important ones.

One of the first things I do when finding out about an organisation is visit the website and I can tell an awful lot about the organisation from that.

It is difficult because it is unpaid volunteers and often a thankless task particulary as other members are often keen to find fault but very slow to offer practical help.

Comment

Hi, I agree with both Ian and Roaming Sue.

I'd looked on the Roma club website and decided that as I would not be able to join any meets etc for the remainder of this year I may as well save my money and join in January.

I don't think that there is any specific mention of things like the Roma review or other benefits that are not web based or accessible by non-members.

Comment

One other thought.

My son was a webmaster for another group. He set up the site and waited for the input from members to put up onto the site, articles, news reports, calender of future meetings etc. ... and he waited ... and he waited ...

Webmasters only manage the site, they don't write it, they rely on input from the members, and while there may well be a valid criticism that the Roma front page has not been updated, don't just crucify the webmaster.

As far as newsletters not being updated, I thought that these were a stopgap to cover the period until a new magazine editor was apointed. Now that has happened and the magazines have restarted, the newsletters have stopped. Whether they should continue in parallel with the Review is a separate question which members of the Club might wish to persue directly with the committee (perhaps with an offer to write the newsletter for presentation to the webmaster)

Barry

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X