Roma Club Meets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roma Club Meets

Are many of you members of this great Forum also members of the Roma Club and likely to attend its meets?
    Having at last managed to access the Members area and read about future plans, we wondered if we'd meet any of you at a Roma Club gathering?
    Just to show how ignorant I am, can you explain the difference between a Rally and a Meet, as we've never been to either?
    Thanks and best wishes,
    Woozle

Originally posted by Woozle View Post
    Are many of you members of this great Forum also members of the Roma Club and likely to attend its meets?
    Having at last managed to access the Members area and read about future plans, we wondered if we'd meet any of you at a Roma Club gathering?
    Just to show how ignorant I am, can you explain the difference between a Rally and a Meet, as we've never been to either?
    Thanks and best wishes,
    Woozle
    Hi,
    I can help here, at a rally, you simply turn up and pay the rally organiser usually on arrival, you also usually have to tell the rally organiser that you wish to attend,as for insurance purposes they have to tell the site owner the numbers and names. This is common practise nowadays.

At a meet, you contact the site owner(often its the caravan club or camping & caravan club) and book yourself in for the dates of the meet and pay the site owner upfront. Usually you notify the meet organiser that you have booked and paid, so they know who to expect and can block book pubs etc.

Its simpler than it sounds.

Lastly, Sue & I are Romaclub members and attend some of their meets/rallys if we fancy the venue. Be aware that the average age of the Romaclub is considerably higher than the SMHC community, and is restricted to Romahome owners ONLY

The March Meeting at Kingsbury is a MEET not a rally, the Sherwood Forest event is a RALLY
    Last edited by Ian.C.S; 06-02-2017, 11:22.
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

We've just joined the Roma Club too Woozle so may see you at one of the meets. You too Ian

Comment

Thank you Ian for explaining so clearly about the Meets and Rallies. Also to you Sandra. It would be great to meet up with you and other new friends if we can at last break our get-together duck!

It would also be an education to see how other folk have arranged their vans to suit their own requirements. We still haven't finished adapting ours. We need more outings to see exactly how best to fit and fix things as she is still fairly new to us. I love working it all out but to be honest, we have been happy to spend time in the 'Bug' right from our try out night in Southampton, when it was totally unaltered inside.

The Cheddar and Weymouth meets are the two that we'd be hoping to attend if possible.
        Tempus fugits even faster these days, so we need to get on with it while we can!

All the best,
        Woozle

Comment

Don't forget we have Meets and Rallies for members of the Small Motorhome Forum too, lots of Romahomes attend, you'd be made most welcome.

Take a look at "Fancy Meeting Up" section.
          Graham
          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

We'd really like to attend a meet or rally or meet with this Forum, but the ones so far listed have been a bit far away for us. We'll keep looking in case there is one within easier reach of Kent.
            Your get-togethers sound like great fun!
            Woozle

Comment

No meets......

I've not renewed my club membership this year. I had hoped to meet up with fellow owners, but since I live in N. Aberdeenshire, the distance I would have to travel makes this totally impractical. Since buying my R30 some 18 months ago, I've only ever seen one (much older) R30 and one R20 in this area. On the other hand, motorhomes are quite plentiful here and in this village of about 200 people, there are 8 motorhomes of various shapes and sizes (and a couple of caravans too). We obviously enjoy travelling and in this area, there's plenty of great places to see.
              Still crazy after all these beers.

Comment

We'd really like to attend a meet or rally or meet with this Forum, but the ones so far listed have been a bit far away for us. We'll keep looking in case there is one within easier reach of Kent.
                Woozle
                Hi Woozle, I organised meets/rallys for this SMHC family and have done some for the Romaclub. The bulk of the membership come from the Home Counties/Midlands.
                Surprisingly few from Kent although our member Sidick is the Vice chair of the Romaclub and she lives in Kent. The problem is London, precious few members there but you have to go round it or through it to get anywhere else.
                To satisfy as many people as possible, most meets/rallys are in the Midlands while a good number have been organised in Hampshire,Dorset and even Norfolk.
                Although I know lovely places to camp in Kent, folk are put off by the M25 and the cost of the Dartford crossing. I know good places on the Isle of Wight but the cost of the ferry puts folk off.
                There is no easy answer, I was heavily criticised for organising a rally in the midlands by folk who either didn't live there or didn't want to drive on motorways, equally our northern members complain about lack of meets.
                As Graham & Pauline will tell you anyone can organise a small meet, just pick a venue and date and put it on the Meeting Up thread and invite people to join you.
                Good luck

Ian
                Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian.C.S View Post
                  As Graham & Pauline will tell you anyone can organise a small meet, just pick a venue and date and put it on the Meeting Up thread and invite people to join you.
                  Good luck

Ian
                  Maybe a good starting point would be to ask if there are any other forum members within, say, a 2 hour driving distance from where you live, who would like to meet up? Then pick a date / location and encourage others to join you.
                  Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Woozle
                    Hi Woozie,

I'm in Kent myself, down in Deal and I know at least one other member is but a stones throw from me.

Once I've got a van again myself I'd be happy to organise a meet down this way. I've done similar things for an old Fiat Multipla owners club that I used to be in.

I did such things as organise a visit to a local transport museum and again an aircraft museum, all very cheap and as part of the weekend. Also we went on a picnic and had a car treasure hunt. Then we had a huge communal meal in the evening.

I'm not sure how SMH meets/rallies have worked in the past cos I've not been on one yet. I don't know whether people prefer just to pitch up and stay on site or are happy to 'convoy' off and visit a museum or go on a picnic or whatever?

Whichever, I'd be happy to organise something down on the Kent coast once I have a unit again.

Panda
                    These broken wings are gonna leave me here to stand my ground........

Comment

We have quite a few members down your way I think. I'd be happy to come to a meet down there.

Comment

Thank you all for these really encouraging replies.
                        London and the M25 do indeed cause us a lot of hassle when we want to get anywhere that isn't South! Part of the problem is the unpredictability of the traffic, so you can't estimate travel times from even hour to hour.
                        The great thing about motorcaravanning is that you have your house on your back and can make use of home comforts such as the loo, a cuppa or even a short nap to break a journey into short stages if needed.
                        Many years ago we discovered and fell in love with the C&CC site at Folkestone Warren and love going there but it is pretty expensive these days. There are lots of interesting places all over the UK, and we haven't said we can't get any where, it's more that we don't find it as easy as it once was!
                        If there is a get-together somewhere that doesn't involve dealing with 'the great Wen', we'd love to come and join in and meet you.
                        Something to look forward to at this gloomy cold time.
                        Woozle

Comment

I'm a member and as of yet not even been out in my camper van, well not further than the garage for her MOT after her major restoration and engine repair, I intend to do a few local(ish) ones first before I travel further afield. My van is parked at my daughters and not a stones throw away from Bath & West show ground and I like the idea of Weymouth & Cheddar meets, so I might pop along to those.
                          "Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time"

Comment

Originally posted by Ian.C.S View Post
                            Hi Woozle, I organised meets/rallys for this SMHC family and have done some for the Romaclub. The bulk of the membership come from the Home Counties/Midlands.
                            Surprisingly few from Kent although our member Sidick is the Vice chair of the Romaclub and she lives in Kent. The problem is London, precious few members there but you have to go round it or through it to get anywhere else.
                            To satisfy as many people as possible, most meets/rallys are in the Midlands while a good number have been organised in Hampshire,Dorset and even Norfolk.
                            Although I know lovely places to camp in Kent, folk are put off by the M25 and the cost of the Dartford crossing. I know good places on the Isle of Wight but the cost of the ferry puts folk off.
                            There is no easy answer, I was heavily criticised for organising a rally in the midlands by folk who either didn't live there or didn't want to drive on motorways, equally our northern members complain about lack of meets.
                            Good luck

Ian
                            there is those of us in cumbria Yorkshire Lancashire Cheshire sorry it a long way to Kent buzzndave
                            BuzznDave

Comment

Sue and I live in Portsmouth but we would definately not go further north than John o groats for a meet or rally or further south than lands end we are only scuppered by her teaching job ( which pays for everything)
                              And means gotta be back for Monday

Kyran

Comment