X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New R40 Owners

Hi there

We are new to this forum - but have been camping for years and motorhoming for about 5 years. We had an Outlook for three years which we loved, but decided to get something roomier (and therefore easier to move around in as my husband suffers with occasional back problems) so we got an R40 last year. We'd like to make contact with some other R40 owners as we haven't seen another one on the road! We've had a few teething problems, but this season seems to be going well. We are thinking of going over to France, so would be particularly pleased to hear from anyone who has actually got on/off a ferry or the Eurostar in their R40.

Hope to hear from someone soon - though it might take me a while to work out how to reply...

Nancy

Hello Nancy

Welcome to the forum. Great to have another R40 owner, we have several others so you are not alone, I'm sure one of them will be along soon to give you some good advice.

To reply to a thread just hit the "Reply" button.....easy.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Hi Nancy

Welcome to this site, they are a very friendly lot on here and I am sure you will get some feedback about your van.

Happy R40ing!

Comment

The R40 is a very interesting vehicle and the one I saw had a wonderful colour scheme. Lovely to hear from you.

Be very interested to hear your ups and downs with your vehicle, and your adventures with your new vehicle.

Comment

Hi Nancy and welcome to the forum.

I'm sure you're already enjoying your R40 - they're lovely vans, and so spacious too. We saw inside one at the Roma Club Rally, and were really impressed. Have a super time when you go off to France.
          Mary
          :sunshine:

Comment

This weekend I met Christine Hurst, one of the boss`s in the Caravan Club.She arrived on the C.C site I was on in her own brand new R40.
            Naturally I shot over to say hello from another Romahomer, and to plug this forum and the Roma club.

note to Graham, I have given her my forum badge, how about some buisness card size badges we can give out?

I am willing to chip in to cover the cost.
            Cmon, wadda ya say.

Ian
            Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
              This weekend I met Christine Hurst, one of the boss`s in the Caravan Club.She arrived on the C.C site I was on in her own brand new R40.
              Naturally I shot over to say hello from another Romahomer, and to plug this forum and the Roma club.

note to Graham, I have given her my forum badge, how about some buisness card size badges we can give out?

I am willing to chip in to cover the cost.
              Cmon, wadda ya say.

Ian
              Thanks for plugging Small Motorhome Ian, business type cards would be a good idea, I'll have a word with the boss, see what she says.
              Graham
              Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                T
                ..... how about some buisness card size badges we can give out?
                Ian
                I have photocopied my badge and fixed original and copy back to back on the Duo door window, so it can now be read with the door open or closed. (The same as the C&CC badge)

Comment

Hi Nancy
                  I have a R40 which we bought as showroom model in November last year (It's great in many ways but I am sorry to say we've also had a number teething problems. Not all of them have been 100% resolved so far it seems). If you'd like to private message me I'd love to exchange views.
                  Janet

Comment

Hi Nancy
                    Welcome to the forum, plenty of different vans here but the R40 looks like making a bid for the top spot this month. I have just returned from France in the R40 using the train and have had no problems with the vehicle on ramps or bumps.
                    However, I doubt if we will be using the train again as the twice I have used it, ie 4 trips, we have only once been allocated the right train. Coming home this time we were in the first queue at 1pm ready for the 1.42 train. We eventualy arrived in Britain at about 3pm (all French times). They also tried to charge us £180 to change our booking, which suddenly reduced to £90 (and the Caravan Club insurance is paying as we had to come home for an emergency). Bearing in mind we paid £153 for the return ticket already, I think it is robbery. We were not the only ones with tales of 'try it on' pricing for changing a booking, so beware. And, on a more general point, we booked through the Camping & Caravan Club and Euro tunnel refused at first to change the reservation saying it had to be done through C&CC. It was Friday evening when we found we had to come home and their telephone line doesn't open till Monday, we had a dog which has to visit the vet at least 24 hours before crossing, that meant we would be stuck in France until Tuesday. So another lesson learned, use the Caravan Club whose Red Penant insurance line is open 24/7.
                    Enjoy your R40 in France, however you get there and I would be interested in both your and Blackpoodle's problems.
                    Colin

Comment

Well - this is a lively forum - how lovely to hear from you all!

Niloc - Thanks for sharing your experiences with Eurostar - will bear it in mind but it looks like we might not be crossing the channel until next year now. We've decided to opt for sunny cornwall instead this year.

Janet (blackpoodle) - I've tried sending you a private message - hope you get it..

Nancy

Comment

got it fine thanks. hope you don't mind the private message thing but as I'm in the process of sorting out my niggles I prefer this way.

Comment

Colin

Sorry to hear about your shuttle problems, they let us come back a few weeks ago 2 trains early at no cost. I think it is because we have the Frequent Traveller Deal which is 5 returns trips at £48 each way. Going over again on Saturday early A.M. hoping to visit Oradour-Sur-Glane during the week. Anyone else been?

http://www.oradour.info/

Scene of a wartime atrocity, village frozen in time.

Tony Anchorman
                          Last edited by anchorman; 07-07-2010, 18:04.

Comment

Oradour

Hi Anchorman.

I haven't visited Oradour despite living less than an hour away! However, it's a lovely area and I'm sure you'll have a good visit. It's been very hot and dry here for the past week, 35 in the shade most days, and looks set to continue with a few big thunderstorms on Saturday. There are a couple of places nearby called Oradour, so make sure you get to the one you want! Or enjoy the detour, it's all good.

One slightly off the beaten track place you might want to stop at for a little wander and a brew up is on the D10 between Aixe-sur-Vienne and Rochechouart which in itself is a lovely road to drive along. About halfway along is a pocket sized stone circle and menhir. It's signposted and you can see it from the road. I find it quite charming.

Rochechouart itself is a decent town, with the obligatory chateau on the hill. Slightly more interesting to me, there is an excellent ironmongers or 'quincallierie' If you enter the town from the south on the D675 it's one of the first things you come to after the petrol station on the left. Like everything else, it closes for 2 hours at lunchtime and will be closed on 14th July for the Fete Nationale.

Have a great trip!

Pema Lily

Comment

R40 teething problems

Hi Nancy and others,
                              We bought an R40 earlier this year and while it has, in the main, been trouble free we currently have a real problem with the water pump. Romahome, as ever, have been very helpful and we hope to get it sorted it sooner rather than later.
                              I have to say that I was initially a little worried about the big overhang, and one or two people tried to put me off buying the R40 because of this, but to date it has not been a problem at all. There is a certain hump-back bridge near Ballater in Grampian that had worried me but we cleared it with no problems. Big relief. Last month my son and his family borrowed the van to go to France and had no problems with the overhang getting on an off the Calais/Dover ferry. Please feel free to contact me if you want to share any worried or concerns.

best wishes,

Cameron

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X