X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VERY newbie questions...

Hi everyone,
    What a great site this is.. and so friendly!
    I'm due to look at a Romahome tomorrow.. after searching for aaaages for one over here 'cos they look perfect for just me and pooch.... but as it's my first foray into motorhoming/camping, I'm not actually sure what questions I should be asking the seller...
    All I know so far is that it's a 2000 fixed top Duo with 30,000 on the clock...
    The seller is asking for £10,000.. is that a good price?
    Any tips for me re what to ask would be much appreciated... and I'll buy a round at my first meet.. promise!

P.S. I've posted this on the 'Hello' section too... apologies for repeating

£10,000 sounds a reasonable price for a 2000 Duo to me but look for all the negative things you can and try to knock them down a bit, they've probably allowed a margin for haggling.

Try to make sure its got all its accessories like the free standing table, the bed extension, wooden slats to make up double bed and all the cushions and back rests, take a good look at the seats for wear and tear.

Have a look at our website for tips on camping in a Duo, Pauline and I have had two and we loved them both.

Have a look here CAMPING IN A DUO

Mines a pint of bitter (must be real ale).
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Hi Graham, and thanks for the lovely welcome
      I've already looked at your page on camping in your duo.. it was the first thing I read!
      I got loads of info from it... it's really informative, but being an absolute novice I don't even know what a leisure battery is,what it's used for, or how to use it!
      ALL the motorhomes over here for sale are huge... and as it'll be just for myself and pooch, the Romahome seems like it might be perfect for us, smaller M/H hardly EVER come up for sale.. in fact, this one isn't on the market yet as she only decided yesterday to sell it... a friend put her in touch with me...
      The seller said everything in perfect working order, they'd travelled from here to England quite often, but also Northern Scotland, Ireland, Holland,Spain and often to France.. but only couple of trips yearly, hence the low mileage.
      I know she wont budge lower on price so I've googled to see the 'going rate', and it does look very reasonable... I can't WAIT to see it, I'm sooo excited!
      I've added to my ( ever growing list) everything you've said to ask about, and thanks so much again for your help

Comment

I'm really laughing now Graham, 'cos I feel like i'm stalking you around posting replies to you on the wrong threads!

Comment

Its my fault I replied in the hello thread then decided to move it to this thread meanwhile you had replied to my reply in the hello thread, confused? I know I am, anyway I have moved your reply to my reply to this thread if you see what I mean. AARRGGHH!!
          Graham
          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Erm......................... ? MOI?!

Comment

Hi Sparky,
              top panicking and go for it.Its a bargain.
              looking forward to meeting you.
              Ian
              Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Thanks Ian... I've a good feeling about it and as I've said already, small doesn't come on the market here very often, so as long as it's not a wreck ( which I'm 99.9 % certain it's not) then I'm buying it..
                Plenty of time to panic after I've bought it!

There's soooo much to read on this site!

Comment

Originally posted by sparky View Post
                  Plenty of time to panic after I've bought it!
                  So long as it moves, and either the electrics or gas works, you can at least park it up somewhere, put the kettle on, and have a nice cup of tea/coffee while you panic

Nah...it'll be fine

I think you'll get plenty of help here with any queries, what with this lot's Romahome-specific knowledge and Ant (not having a Romahome, I'm a bit envious of this).
                  Neil

Comment

Haha, thanks and hi 1MAHD
                    I've seen many references to 'Ant', but as I'm mechaniclly challenged...
                    I wouldn't have a clue how to explain any problems to him !
                    I'm sure that with everyone's help, me and pooch will be roaming in 'Rollo', our li'l romahome very soon... ( Rollo WAS going to be the name of my pooch.. but as 'he' turned out to be a 'she'.. it wasn't!)

Comment

Sparky.
                      At £10000 with an MOT and maybe a recent timing belt change I'd buy it! you can't go wrong, just check for any rust around the inner wings as you're in a fairly salty environment, not to stop you buying it, but to give you an idea of what you need to attend to after you get it home.
                      Ant

Comment

Hi Ant
                        Thanks for your advice re changing the timing belt... is that the same as the 'cam' belt ?
                        We don't have M.O.T here but we do have 'Parish roadside checks'
                        Also, it's been constantly garaged and only one owner,30,000 on clock, couple'a scratches on rear offside ( down to parking is my guess) and full Citroen service history.
                        The lady's hubby unfortunately died, and at 72 she feels she'd now like to stay in hotels. She's very kindly 'throwing in' quite a few extras too like new Thetford potti, awning, small table and 4 foldup chairs, silver screens for windscreen etc
                        As we don't have any motorhome sales here.. I'm wondering what to do about the 'habitation' checks... I'll call the little Citroen garage where she's had her servicing done, they might know...

Comment

Sparky.
                          The Timing belt is indeed the Cam belt. It's not due on mileage but is over due on time, it's only a rubber band and it will perish in time. If it breaks I don't think its worth repairing the engine as they never seem to go as well after a repair.
                          Ant

Comment

AHA!! So THAT'S why I was told to check out when the last Cam change was...

As the lady has got the full service history I'll look at the invoices to see when/if it was changed... erm how often Ant please ?

Comment

Sounds like you've done good there sparky enjoy. I'll wait to be corrected, but think its either 30 or 60K for a cam belt change, but whatever the experts say don't go over it, as I've lost a good car (in my younger days) from not knowing about a belt change and I always look for cars now that don't have them....

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X