• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spoony
    replied
    podoff

Originally posted by Steamtrap View Post
    Years ago I was part of the GRP Minecountermeasures Ship project, built over the river from Freeborn! GRP needs a different mindset from steel and we had to educate shipyards in a different repair approach. The philosophy should be to remove the steel from the GRP pod in this case not the other way round, leave bits of steel in place and file it down etc as necessary rather than disturb the integrity of the GRP if I might suggest.

Romahomes are unique beasts and I applaud those who seek to prolong the life of them by transplanting them to modern carrier vehicles. I did suggest a 5th wheel approach some time ago but often wonder if alternative carrier vehicles to C15s would be possible which would open up the market for a formal vehicle recycling scheme, another feather in the cap for the Romahome philosophy.

I am still totally sceptical about the EU imposition of ESC - if the latter can cope with the variable loading of items in a van, roof racks, ladders, trailers etc why cant it be seen to cope with a permanently lengthened body? Has the software been fully validated? I remain convinced that this was not thought through and the outcome that Romahome and others have had their business unjustifiably damaged makes me very cross indeed. I still think this was pushed hard by the German manufacturers.
    Yes i agree cut the metal round the pod then lift it off finally remove what metal is left carefully . Regards Michael

Leave a comment:

• cedas
    replied
    Not strictly related to this thread - but ---- I have just been in Spain visiting my sister (without the van) and was amazed at the number of C15s I saw around. I need a yellow plastic cover for my indicator light (partner managed to back into it-- so forget the comments about women drivers!!!) This is a nice light part so my sister has promised to look up some breakers' yards and post one to me. Anyone who needs bigger parts but still has a driveable van could be well advised to visit France or Spain where C15s are still in regular use as commercial vans.

Leave a comment:

• Ian.C.S
    replied
    I have seen Romahome (type) bodies on Skoda trucks,looked very sound.The body looked remarkably like a Romahome body as found on C15's. I saw several in Germany.

Leave a comment:

• Steamtrap
    replied
    Years ago I was part of the GRP Minecountermeasures Ship project, built over the river from Freeborn! GRP needs a different mindset from steel and we had to educate shipyards in a different repair approach. The philosophy should be to remove the steel from the GRP pod in this case not the other way round, leave bits of steel in place and file it down etc as necessary rather than disturb the integrity of the GRP if I might suggest.

Romahomes are unique beasts and I applaud those who seek to prolong the life of them by transplanting them to modern carrier vehicles. I did suggest a 5th wheel approach some time ago but often wonder if alternative carrier vehicles to C15s would be possible which would open up the market for a formal vehicle recycling scheme, another feather in the cap for the Romahome philosophy.

I am still totally sceptical about the EU imposition of ESC - if the latter can cope with the variable loading of items in a van, roof racks, ladders, trailers etc why cant it be seen to cope with a permanently lengthened body? Has the software been fully validated? I remain convinced that this was not thought through and the outcome that Romahome and others have had their business unjustifiably damaged makes me very cross indeed. I still think this was pushed hard by the German manufacturers.

Leave a comment:

• spoony
    replied
    Originally posted by Ian.C.S View Post
    The pod is bonded to the C15 chassis and will need to be cut off,then it needs new GRP and rebonding onto the new chassis,I say again this is not a DIY job, unless you have worked with GRP before.
    i have done some bonding when building rally cars but im a bit wary if i have to cut the body off i was thinking of cutting up the vehicle and then remove the pod from what is left . After that i can attempt to remove what metal is left on the pod .

Leave a comment:

• Ian.C.S
    replied
    The pod is bonded to the C15 chassis and will need to be cut off,then it needs new GRP and rebonding onto the new chassis,I say again this is not a DIY job, unless you have worked with GRP before.

Leave a comment:

• Renners
    replied
    I'd say if your upto it then go for it Michael, once done get it checked to make sure all is well and fingers crossed you are back on the road. Post pictures of the transfer as you do it, it should make good viewing.

Leave a comment:

• spoony
    replied
    later c15

My c15 is a G reg the c15 im looking at fitting the pod onto is a 06 reg so a lot younger and less rusty i hope.Regards Michael

Leave a comment:

• Ian.C.S
    replied
    The quick answer is that its perfectly possible to take the pod off and put it on another C15 body...BUT...this is not a DIY job.there are companies that can do this and make a safe job but it will not be cheap, also C15's are no longer made and your pod will not fit the Berlingo,so you are looking at buying an old C15. It may not be economically viable. Speak to Ant at Avon Motor Caravans, he might be interested in having it for spares,and may have a nice van to part exchange!

Leave a comment:

• crosser
    replied
    hi ya, i had the same problem and the cost of having the body put onto another van was more than what it would be worth so i bit the bullet and am doing the welding myself... how old is yours? if you cant weld then probably best to sell for spares or repair, if you do sell please let me know as i have a friend whos looking for a project... thanks

Leave a comment:

• spoony
    started a topic the demise of little roma

the demise of little roma

Hello all.We have not been on here for a while as Roma has been laid up for the winter. I took her to work and checked her over for mot only to find that she is a rusty old girl and beyond my welding skills so she has to go rip . Now do i attempt to remove the pod and put it onto another c15 van( is it possible) or sell her as spares or repair and buy another romahome.What do the good people on here think we should do .Regards Mick and Paula.