This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dimension to Duo

Hello small motorhome forum people. I have been browsing this site for some time now as a guest. Got lots of tips and hints which have proved to be very helpful. Now have taken the leap to 'join in'.

Today my Dimension will shrink, not in the rain I hope, but have traded in for a Duo and am very excited but perhaps a little sad. Some good trips in the Dimension, but, it's just a bit too big for me to drive and for what I need.

In particular I am interested in Bird photography so if there is anyone else here who is a bit of a twitcher then would love to hear from them.

Hope also to try and get to a 'meet' so shall keep a close eye to see whats coming up.

Shazzer

Hello Shazzer

Welcome to the forum. We used to have a Duo and loved it but we went the other way and got a Dimension. I am sure you will love your Duo just as much they are great little vans.

There are a few birders on here, my son "knowitallson" is one, he gets cross when I call him a twitcher apparently twitchers are very dedicated and will chase across country at the first sign of a rare species but birders are a little more relaxed about the whole thing.

There are some lovely pictures of birds in this section http://smallmotorhome.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Happy camping and birding.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Hello Shazzer, Welcome to the forum.

Like Chris(KNOWITALLSON) I too am far from a twitcher but am bit of birdwatcher and this has spread into bird photography too. There are a few of my photo's on the link given by Graham - look forward to seeing some of your too!

What camera etc do you use? Are you into digiscoping? Personally, I use a canon s3 with a 1.7 tcon but am awaiting delivery of a panasonic fz100 that i'll still be able to use the tcon with, I had considered moving to a DSLR but decided that I can neither justify the cost nor relish the thought of carrying the weight!!!

Look forward to hopefully meeting up some time
      Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

hello Graham and Glenw,

Not a twitcher but a novice birdwatcher/photographer. Racing off to deepest Norfolk to see a rare siberian lbj does not appeal at all! I am only really just beginning to recognise birds and my Collins bird book is well thumbed!

As for photography, perhaps would put myself in the keen amateur category. First started many years ago with film but life and stuff took over so when I picked it up again went digital. For birds I use a Canon 7D with a 400mm lens (much lighter than a 500mm!), with an extender can get a good 650mm reach which real bird photographers I guess would sniff at but you are right the real big lenses are not only heavy but really really expensive.

Got hold of a celestron spotting scope, but, havn't yet mastered it. Would like to try some digiscoping but I need to get some adaptors for my camera to fit, so more expense and time but something for the future I guess.

Looked at the birding thread and some lovely stuff on there, hope to contribute some time.

Thank you for your replies.
        Shazzer

Comment

Hi from me too!

Welcome to the small motorhomers! I like looking at (maybe painting- who knows?) the photos of the birds that others put on here!

Comment

Hello Shazzer
            I'm new to the forum. I like spotting birds as well, but I have two dogs usually crashing around, so not the ideal birding companions

I'm not sure, but thought I saw some Jays up here in a forest in central Scotland which is quite unusual to see them up here I always see lots of Buzzards, lapwings and smaller birds when I'm out.

Comment

hello BiscuitTin and Jay Jay, nice too meet you both
              hooray, have picked up the Duo, sailed along the motorway, so much easier to drive than the Dimension, which had this peculiar offset seat to the steering wheel, which I guess for a tall person no problem but being a shortie felt really significant. Shall miss the shower though! and thinking about it the oven, but hay ho can cook lots in a saucepan.

How lovely BiscuitTin to live in a forest in central Scotland, I couldn't be much further away on the Sussex coast. Surprised Jay's don't venture that far north, plenty around here along with gulls! Love lapwings and only saw them for the first time near Rutland Water. Plenty of Buzzards but no Kites. Do you have Ospreys up that way?

Thanks again for replies

Shazzer

Comment

Originally posted by shazzer View Post
                Plenty of Buzzards but no Kites. Do you have Ospreys up that way?

Shazzer
                There are kites in Stirling, about 25 mins from me, and the Ospreys are a bit further north up the motorway

Glad you like your new van, and hope you have lots of good times in it

Comment

I, too, love birdwatching - they say that Brighton beach is a good place at this time of the year - seems a lot of the birds shed their feathers!!

Mike

Comment

We can always rely on you Mike!!

Actually, Brighton beach is a good place to watch the peregrines that nest around the city - they seemed to frequent the ruins of the pier, keeping the pigeon population under control. I think there was 3 or 4 in view when we visited a couple of years ago. Mind you, the weather was appauling so there wasn't anything closer to shore to watch!!
                    Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Originally posted by Yamaha View Post
                      I, too, love birdwatching - they say that Brighton beach is a good place at this time of the year - seems a lot of the birds shed their feathers!!

Mike
                      you would never find this old bird on Brighton beach, far too chilly even this time of year, feathers or not!

Comment

Originally posted by shazzer View Post
                        you would never find this old bird on Brighton beach, far too chilly even this time of year, feathers or not!
                        Worthing Pier is a massive starling roost, A couple of years ago I was there at about 1 hour before dusk when they started to rise above the town like wisps of smoke,the dancing groups slowly merged then eventually a vast twiting cloud of them arrived above the pier,after 15 minutes or so they began to drop out of the air in their hundreds,like falling stones, inches from the pier edge then they swooped under the pier and roosted. As you looked down between your feet you could see them packed shoulder to shoulder on the ironwork under the deck,the noise was huge untill they had all landed when as if on a word of command it suddenly went silent, not a squeak.
                        An amazing experience, not to be missed.
                        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Yamaha View Post

Mike
                          Nice one Mike.

Shazza - you will get used to Yamaha he is the forum jester and we love him. Just be careful what you say because he will make a joke of it.
                          Graham
                          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Hi Shazzer and welcome

We downsized from an old Autosleeper to a R20 (Duo) and have her as our only vehicle, and couldn't be more pleased with our choice.

We too are amateur birdwatchers and photographers, and it's super to see a new bird, or butterfly, moth etc, and even more exciting when we capture one on the camera. We planned our garden 9 years ago, when we bought a new bungalow with a blank page for a garden, to attract birds, butterflies, red squirrels, hedgehogs and other wild life and it's certainly paid off. I could happliy relax there all day enjoying all the beautiful sights and sounds.

Have fun in your Duo - she'll make an excellent bird hide with all mod cons too!
                            Mary
                            :sunshine:

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                              Worthing Pier is a massive starling roost, A couple of years ago I was there at about 1 hour before dusk when they started to rise above the town like wisps of smoke,the dancing groups slowly merged then eventually a vast twiting cloud of them arrived above the pier,after 15 minutes or so they began to drop out of the air in their hundreds,like falling stones, inches from the pier edge then they swooped under the pier and roosted. As you looked down between your feet you could see them packed shoulder to shoulder on the ironwork under the deck,the noise was huge untill they had all landed when as if on a word of command it suddenly went silent, not a squeak.
                              An amazing experience, not to be missed.
                              I've seen something similar in Wales too! Most peculiar when that command is given, because for a while before, they are all squabbling amongst themselves! Also seen this with the rooks across the field from me.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X