X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Romahome or Bambi?

Hello!

I'm VERY new to all this, but am looking at buying a 1980s Bedford Romahome or Bambi to take on a tour of England, complete with musical instruments and 2 (tall) people. Does anyone have any advice on which to go for? Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Fran

I'd always go for a Romahome. They are made of GRP and waterproof/rotproof. The Bambis are coachbuilt and so elderly now, I wouldn't buy one of those because so many are damp (or getting there)... apols to all who own Bambis! No offence meant.

Comment

Although new to campervanning, I am impressed with our demountable Romahome. The demountable bit, ie the fibreglass pod that we live in, is early 1980s we think, but the truck that carries it is a 2004 Suzuki Carry pickup. What this means, of course, is that we can keep our pod forever and just update the truck ... Great!

We are two adults (short) and two dogs (medium). Tall people can stand up in the cooking area, but even we have to bend a bit in the living space.

I agree with jayjay, the Bambis are getting a bit old now, but we met a 25 year old one a couple of weeks ago and it seemed to be in very good order.

Happy hunting and welcome to the forum!

Angela

Comment

Thanks, both of you. I hadn't clicked that the pod could be attached to different pick-ups - that's made up my mind!

Fran x

Comment

My £0.02

Bambi everytime.

It is a Tardis compared the Romahome, and seems more of a quality build inside. Any damage to the GRP can more of a issue to repair, compared to the aluminium panels of the Bambi.

But, of course, your call.
          Last edited by zaphod; 10-09-2010, 09:29.
          Happiness is a palace on two wheels.

Comment

What puts me off either of these is having to get out of the front to go in the back. I love my Autosleeper Frisky 'cos I can just walk through, no waste of the front seats because they become part of the living area.

And as it's a SWB Transit with a raising roof it can go in a car parking bay and fits under some height barroers. Ford spares are cheap and easily available even for a 22 year old van.

Comment

The Romahome is an enclosed unit, but the Bambi isn't. Mrs Zap can clamber to the back, if need be. The Bambi too has a folding passenger seat with a table top on it - ideal for the driver to eat their sandwiches from.
              Last edited by zaphod; 10-09-2010, 10:51.
              Happiness is a palace on two wheels.

Comment

I am thinking of getting a Romahome so i can use the pick up for work and the "pod" at weekends.
                But i was wondering how difficult and how long does it take to remove & refit the Pod?
                When were the last romahome units made and does the pod made for a Rascal/Suzuki fit a Diahtsu or a peaggio? Advice Please. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by zaphod View Post
                  The Romahome is an enclosed unit, but the Bambi isn't. Mrs Zap can clamber to the back, if need be. The Bambi too has a folding passenger seat with a table top on it - ideal for the driver to eat their sandwiches from.
                  my romahome isnt enclosed, i have a duo outlook,i can get in to the rear from the drivers seat and have done many times, and i am over 6ft tall. the bambi and romahome are vertually the same inside, depends what you require, i like the style, the comfort, the reliability of the citroen, and many other things.

Dancer

Comment

Me too Dancer, I have often climbed from front to the back and not that difficult even at my age.

Comment

I've had two Romahomes (a Honda Acty & a Rascal) but have now had my Bambi for 6 years - not a trace of damp inside, can climb thru from the cab, and it is indeed tardis-like. There is slightly more space in the Bambi - storage, headroom and aisle width - ie more leg room, something to consider if there are two long-legged people sitting opposite each other! I prefer the wooden fittings in the Bambi too, feels more homely than plastic.
                      The Romahome bed is probably slightly easier to make up as you just lay several slats across, whereas the Bambi has boards & table - but there's not much in it & it's easy. Space-wise, it has to be a Bambi. Hope this helps.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X