Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MOT of DOOM FAIL and now advised to scrap....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MOT of DOOM FAIL and now advised to scrap....

My much loved and trusty in so many ways 1996 C15 Romahome has just failed its MOT. Basically all of the underside of the van has rusted away, exposing the rear axle. The mechanics at my local garage got such a shock they would not go underneath. 6 welders have taken a look at it and 5 said they would not tackle it in case whole thing goes on fire. The welder I saw today was willing to tackle but would have basically taken the whole thing apart before welding and it would have cost 4 figures. Him and my regular mechanic are telling me to scrap.

So advice on a) scrapping and b) getting a new one.

And any counsellors out there? Not been a good year for me. Cat died, husband left me, drains blocked and now van died..... Most upset about the cat and now the van!!!
    Ellie

oh how sad...all of it...you are having a bad time...but you have your priorities right☺ cat,van, husband
    Only a few years older than mine...but think mine was undersealed from new as mechanics tell me in good condition underneath. I too am looking for new van..for different reasons...I want more seat belts. Have realised I'll be very lucky to find what I want in budget range. C15...in their own quirky way...small but perfectly formed. If you have money...replacing van easyish...if limited...maybe downsize to berlingo conversion (urban campervans or chapel as seen on forum).
    Cat...don't replace...lovely though they are, they tie you down. Husband...ditto...however if you really want either...1) always plenty cats appreciative of good home 2) the way I feel today I'd throw in my beloved C15 to anyone who'd take my other half (tomorrow I'll feel different...can't give up the van☺) Jokes aside...sorry you are having rough time and hope things more positive soon

Comment

Very sorry to hear your woes. let's hope that's all your bad luck out of the way.

there is a c 15 for sale on the website. might be worth a look?
      Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Thanks

It really does sound worse than it is! Not only the above but my beloved dog took seriously ill in the middle of all of this but thankfully he is fully recovered. Every cloud etc
        As well as getting a new van I am going to take up writing country and western songs.....
        Spent the evening looking for vans and seen a Nu Venture up here in Scotland and also considering a trip to Avon in Bristol. Will check out the one on the website.
        Thanks again folks
        Ellie

Comment

So sorry to hear all that, pleased the dog got better though.

I had a similar thing with my old Autosleeper Frisky a few years back, 4 figures to get it right due to major welding. So I stuck it on ebay for spares or repair and it went for £1 more than I'd paid for it 2 years before. You could try the same.

Comment

The habitation part of your van will still have a value even if the base van has had it
            Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

sorry to hear

MoT, s on older vans are always a worry. If the floor pan is that bad the rust would also be in other sections of the bodywork. Its a big job cutting out all the rust and letting in new sections. And if not done correctly the rust soon returns. Best to let it go. Sorry to hear about your cat, cant really say I like cats but understand all about the lost of a loved pet. Michael

Comment

I'm also sorry to hear all the bad news. I wish I could say something to make it all better, but here's some ((((hugs)))) for you.

If you can't find a decent small motorhome to replace yours with, another thing you might like to consider is replacing your van with a car and a small caravan, or finding a trailer tent. Both of these options can be a lot cheaper.

Comment

Thats very true, and some of these trailer tents can even be stored on their sides, so storage space is less of a problem. I think they're great, loads of room in them when they're fully up as well.

Comment

at least the dog recovered

I would send your much loved 'van on it's way. Could it be used for spares otherwise? I remember seeing our Ford Anglia Estate in a farm yard full of chickens - about 10 years after we had sold it. I knew it was ours, the gut feeling plus the registration was still on it. I regret not offering the farmer a tenner for her

Are you in a hurry to get on the road? Have alook-see at the various sellers in your area, most have good web-sites. Decide where you want to go and will DDog to with you?

Comment

Many years ago my cherished Cortina Mk.2 1600E was getting rusty, MoT failed due to dodgy sills .... up on the hydraulic lift with the true extent of its rusting horribleness revealed, being poked by the welder who was sucking his teeth and shaking his head.

The prophet spake: "You can't weld to tissue paper mate!"

Comment

Your 'ex' won't be fighting for the C15 then ………

What would you like next? DH and I were 5/6 years searching, it was great fun. Finally choose an i800 Hyundai people carrier converted

Comment

thanks and van plans

Thanks everyone
                          Saw a Nu venture surf today which looks good for the price and whilst not as retro or as lovely as my old romahome C15, it would do the job. Just thinking it over and going to talk to my mechanic. Bodywork was in good condition but a couple of touch ups which would indicate it has some rust. Had a poke about underneath and it looked ok and did a test run. Watch this space. I need to be up and running soon as my son is moving to a school on the west coast of scotland and a van would be very handy.
                          The only way is up!
                          Ellie

Comment

Will your son be boarding? I LOVE the West Coast of Scotland ……..

Let us know how you get on!

Comment

yes, my son will be residential at the Traditional Music School at Plockton High School. A particularly lovely part of the world.
                              So looking forward to some van time as will be on the road a lot taking him up and down.

Comment