This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rusty c15 MOT fail HELP

I have just brought a 1993 c15 romahome mot had almost ran outdo I took it for an mot it has failed miserably on welding is nearside front upper suspension component mounting excessively corroded offside front vehicle structure excessive corrosion which adversely affects braking or steering nearside and offside rear vehicle structure has excessive corrosion which adversely affects braking or steering. I bought this home privately. Any ideas anyone can I get it welded
    Hopefully yours Ian c

Oh dear! I can't comment on whether this is repairable or not, have you tried talking to a garage about it? There's always a local garage about which can do welding. However, it's whether or not it's worth welding, or if there is anything to weld onto - that is usually the problem. Get professional advice first and see how much it will cost if it can be done.

It must have got through it's last MOT ok, so I can't see it being that much worse over 12 months.

If you bought it privately, was it 'sold as seen'?

Comment

Jayjay is totally correct, it cant have deteriorated that much in 12 months, ask the garage who did the MoT "how much to weld ?" or do they know a welder who can (they always do!) In MoT pass condition your van should be good for years yet.
      Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Get off to the Citizens Advice PRONTO!
        It is illegal to sell an un-roadworthy vehicle even in a private sale unless the buyer is aware of it.
        The significant bit is un-roadworthy. You would probably have no claim for things not working as expected but un-roadworthy without being declared is illegal even though it has a current MOT.
        JimW.
        Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
          It is illegal to sell an un-roadworthy vehicle even in a private sale unless the buyer is aware of it.
          The significant bit is un-roadworthy. You would probably have no claim for things not working as expected but un-roadworthy without being declared is illegal even though it has a current MOT.
          JimW.
          I have spoken to the mot garage and they it will cost close to £800 for all the work to be done but it's too much work for them to do I'm going to have a word with an approved welder that my nephew knows to see what he thinks I totally agree with Jayjay there is no way this could have deteriorated over 12 months it's only done 4000 miles from the last mot.other problems like brakes and clutch aren't a problem to get done at the moment it's just the welding that a worry. I actually phone the person I bought it off and told him the bad news and that he had sold me a van that is in very bad condition his reply was he didn't know about it and that he had spent the money already

Comment

It can get that bad in a year. It happened to my second Autosleeper Frisky.

Comment

Thank you all for replying to post it is much appreciated. I will be finding out over the weekend if its able to be welded.fingers crossed

Comment

With any luck Caz it sounds worse than it is I hope

Comment

Fingers crossed, Ian.

I was quoted £2,500 - £3,000 to get mine sorted - so I sold it to a lady who's brother in law was a welder.

The cost is mainly in the labour, so if you know someone who can do it then it isn't so bad.

Comment

Thanks Caz from what you where quoted I don't think mine is quite so bad plus I will be helping myself with the fabrication of the metal just not the welding I will keep you all informed how things are going after the weekend
                    Ian c

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
                      The CAB says "If you've been sold an unroadworthy car, you can get the seller to put the problem right. You can also report them to Trading Standards, who may take action against them."

Read the rest of here. It tells you what you're rights are, what action you can take, who can help, etc.

Tell the seller that he could be liable to prosecution and a fine of £5,000 and see if this makes him a bit more helpful.

Comment

CAB

I may just give him a phone call Paul thank you

Comment

I would think a letter underlining his liability might be more effective, but a word with Trading Standards first might be even more productive.

Jimw.
                          Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Letter

Thank you Jimw that's a gooi way to go, I have a welder coming to see it over the weekend he is a friend of mine I'll just wait to see what it is going to cost in materials.first
                            Ian c

Comment

I thought it was possible to sell unroadworthy cars, in effect, for 'spares or repair'. I see them every day on ebay... also ones which state that they need picking up on a trailer as they are not roadworthy. Also if it was bought 'sold as seen' and that's what it says on your receipt, with a current MOT, then I'm not sure you have a case.

If the vehicle was described as 'roadworthy' with no known advisorys, then that would be different. But I really think it's a case of 'buyer beware' here. If you go online, I think you can find out if there was an advisory sheet with the last MOT, which the seller may not have disclosed to you. A quick call to the MOT centre which issued the MOT it came with might also be able to shed light on any advisorys.

Comment