X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jayjay
    replied
    Those two areas you've marked on your photo are roughly the same at either side. That could be the point where simple steam (from cooking, boiling a kettle) is collecting and settling. And the same in the luton area. Maybe colder at these two points, perhaps from less insulation...

Try boiling a kettle and seeing where the steam goes and settles?

Leave a comment:

• llywelyn1984
    replied
    Ive got a fly vent towards the back.

I think that it's worse when the luton is facing downhill is maybe a clue.

Maybe ater get into the fiberglass where it joins? Or more likely to be getting into a vent/window/tiny hole...
    Perhaps the hose pipe is the best idea when it's a bit warmer.

That picture is taken from the storage locked next to the cooker towards the rear door. It looks like it will fit a porta potti...but no cut out for the handle.

My van is special!

Leave a comment:

• Donk's Dad
    replied
    if it affecting the ceiling it has to be getting in somewhere up on the roof, but waters sneaky ! in can get in in one place then run along on top of the ceiling coveringinsurlation (plywood) and then drip down were there is a joint.

So check out the whole roof area ! Do you have roof vents ?

Never see the bulkhead sticking out by the bottom of the seats on any other demountable romahome ?
    is there a cu tout inside the seat front? does this bulkhead cover it ?

Leave a comment:

• llywelyn1984
    replied
    damp other side.jpg

Here is the other side...
    also note where i sealed up the luton

damp traps were 5 for £3 in "what everything" shop which we have in south wales.

Leave a comment:

• llywelyn1984
    replied
    danp.jpg

I think this goes to prove a point that a picture can tell a thousand words...
    The damp was collecting in the corners where the red indicates. It's the same on both sides.
    It seems better i park on my drive where it's slightly uphill. Now the really heavy rain has gone it seems better.
    The luton window was leaking towards the bottom quite badly and i sealed that up with silicone at the bottom where there was a huge gap.
    The damp gets on both sides of the van towards the front where the luton section joins the rest of the van on the ceiling. It may well be something running down their as i had suspected. The air vent is (was) bone dry in the luton.

Ive been monitoring it and heating up the van on the last few weekends.
    I also suspected the side windows where they are screwed into the body but that's maybe a red herring too.

On a side note my van is not cut out for the toilet handle as other pictures ive seen.
    http://imgur.com/a/dIS8Y

Leave a comment:

• Donk's Dad
    replied
    Hi llywelyn

As i suspected your Luton bulk head is not insulated, so could be a source of condensation.

But you failed to mention in your originally posting that you have a bloody great hole in the front of the Luton in the guise of a window !

Could this be the cause of the leak ?

Leave a comment:

• llywelyn1984
    replied
    image.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ahg6k3x.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/prjS95b.jpg
    Last edited by llywelyn1984; 25-01-2016, 18:08.

Leave a comment:

• Donk's Dad
    replied
    I should have added:

We put a couple of the Chrystal Damp Catchers in the pod over the winter.

These are electrically re-charged by plugging them in to the mains socket in-doors and They warms up and drys out the crystals, redy to use again

We re-charge them every month and put the date on the top in pencil and place them apart to cover the same amount of area.

Never had any damp or mildew problems with these.

I know a lot of people use salt in dishes or the chemical type crystal damp catchers with good success.

Might be worth trying something like that as well (belt and Braces)

Leave a comment:

• Donk's Dad
    replied
    The ceiling of my fibreglass works van body pod, get soaked with condensation, during cold weather.

The outside warms up but being dark and cool on the inside any moisture in the air condenses and forms drips all over the ceiling.
    If i leave the rear shutter open, the air inside levels out to the temperature outside and it drys out.

Better ventilation would help, so its possible your camping pod is suffering the same conditions.
    Is you Luton insulated ? or is it bare fibreglass surface ?

We are lucky with our pod, as the only bare un-insulated fibreglass surface is above the cooker on one side and above the sink on the other.
    The rest of the pod is insulated on all surfaces, even the front of the seats and end bulkhead between them.

But sometimes condensation forms on the back walls inside the cupboards above the cooker and above the sink, which goes back to what i said about the inside of my works pod.

Leave a comment:

• jayjay
    replied
    Oh those sort of pelmets! Yes, I had those inside. I tooke them off and turned them upside down and screwed them back on again, so that they made handy shelves and stopped things falling out of the luton. With there being a picture of the outside, I thought you were referring to the sides of the van on the outside, where there are those two horizontal overhangs.

Can you post a pic of the damp area, Llywelyn? Is it carpeted in the luton... if not this could just be simple condensation, forming where hot moisture laden air meets a cold surface.

Leave a comment:

• Donk's Dad
    replied
    Just to Clarify:
    The pelmet is on the inside of the camper and is fitted at the bottom of the Luton and above the Hatch in the front of the pod (that lines up with the rear window of the Cab) It is covered in material and originally would have matched the seats.

This pelmet stands clear of the end wall of the pod by about 30mm and has an overhang of about 50mm, so any water getting in through the hatch has to navigate upwards and outwards and over this lip to get into the Luton area !

Pelmet.jpg

Leave a comment:

• llywelyn1984
    replied
    Partial update -
    definitely not the mushroom vent - sob. (smashed the old one up to check!)
    new mrushroom vent doesnt fit so ive fitted perspex until i find one that does.

Fixed small leak in window with Captain Creek's sealant.

Can't find the leak - but too cold at the moment!

Andrew

Leave a comment:

• jayjay
    replied
    Originally posted by Donk's Dad View Post
    We don need to use the window as a hatch so perminantly sealed it with a perspex window.

This window / hatch area is well below the Luton section and i wouldn't have thought water could work its way in and get above the pelmit thats fitted over the window and then up into the luton area?
    With mine it did, especially driving in the rain. I didn't have windows in either the cab or the hab unit though. Until I removed the windows, I didn't have a problem, so the rain that can get driven into that area wouldn't have got in through the windows and probably went unnoticed.

I never took mine apart, so unsure whether mine had the pelmits either. I notice there is some sort of black seal around the outside of the top though, so maybe that's where driving rain would be forced in. I didn't have that on my van.
    Last edited by jayjay; 13-01-2016, 10:26.

Leave a comment:

• jayjay
    replied
    I found out where mine was leaking in by first drying the inside off with a towel, then getting a neighbour to train a hosepipe onto the area outside. It soon became clear that where the water was getting in from the outside wasn't where it was coming through to the inside, it was traveling a bit before finding its way out into the hab unit.

I never had a mushroom thingy on my roof, but if I did that would be my first suspect. If you still have a window (like on DD's photo) on the hab unit, then it won't be coming in there unless the seals have perished. With the hab unit being made of fibreglass, unless there's a crack in it, there is nowhere for the rain to come in, except through window seals or door, maybe the skylight - or the mushroom thingy!

Leave a comment:

• Twolitre
    replied
    I'm not sure whther this info is pertinent here. But there is mention of Perspex to replace a window.
    As some on here will be aware, I have a "home-made" car. The removable windows being REAL perspex. B&Q used to (and may still) stock clear Acrylic sheet which initially looks like glass - great - until it ages. When it goes milky and opaque. Much cheaper than Perspex but not so permanent.
    Luckily I became aware of the problem from the experience of others who made similar side windows for their cars with Acrylic Sheet and wished they had not.
    Jim.

Leave a comment: