Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to identify the age of C15 Cabins/Pods.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doog View Post
    yes well that's all well and good, but what I want to know is . what did the Romans ever do for us?
    Aquaducts?
    These broken wings are gonna leave me here to stand my ground........

Comment

...........central hearing.
      derek b and Babs

Comment

Sandals & Socks !

Looks like inspector Clouseau has solved the mystery about ageing a Romahome by the sneaky use of the cooker as a guide. Well done for all of the research

But you have to take into consideration, upgrades. My 1988 demountable came with an earlier off-white or possibly beige cooker and we renewed this with a newer and more efficient brown and beige flavel Vanessa. (that had a splask back fitted (although we removed this) We bought a later damaged pod that he been rear ended to use the side opening windows to replace our fixed side windows and this doner pod had a white cooker of the same model a our original off-white or possibly beige cooker, so it looks as though island plastics fitted whatever cookers were available at the time. Also out of interest the doner pod had walls covered with a type of grey fab-lon covered ply and was not up to the spec of our own pod that is fully insulated with a carpet type faced plywood. So it looks like you could chose the spec you wanted in the early demountable and probably pay extra for the up-grades.

Flavel Vannesa.jpg

Comment

Hi DD,

Yes, I know what you are saying. However, it is only a general, first instance, way of identifying pods from home via a photo. I expect a vast number of pods were originally standard anyway and again, if in doubt, don't drive 200 miles to view it, lol. If in a little bit of doubt, look at the doorframe when you get there. If that's been replaced, borrow it, drive it to Ant's place and ask him, lol!

It seems, if you look at any of the usual sales sites, eBay, Preloved, Gumtree, Motorhome trader, using this method you will come across a number of questionable vehicles straight away. There is at least one, currently, that claims to be a 2005 C15........ Romahome didn't produce the C15 Romahome by then. There is also a 2000 Hylo with a Flavel Vanessa in it.......

I've also spotted that the upholstery may also give a reasonable indication of age, too. I spotted a lot of upholstery while viewing Cookers, I can tell you.

Damn, I feel the need for toast again......

Panda.

Comment

This is the inside of the C15 I used to have, a 1991 model:
            8.jpg9.jpg6.jpg

Comment

Hi Caz.

My, you made that look gorgeous, just with pillows and tie backs. Oh dear, that sounded a bit camp, sorry! The simple personal touch really makes the interior stand out. And the white topped Flavel Vanessa cooker concurs that indeed your pod was pre-1992. The system works, lol!

Panda

Comment

Thank you. I know it was genuine because I had a 3 inch thick folder with all the documentation, service history, old MOTs etc in. It was a great little van and in some ways I regretted trading it in as it was in very good nick. I'd only had the underneath undersealed a couple of months before and I got peanuts in p/x. I just hope it found a good home and didn't just take a one way trip somewhere.

PS I didn't like the old upholstery and usually covered it in dark pink fleece blankets to match the cushions.

Comment

Did the interior upholstery of the camping unit go through changes as time went on, or did it stay fairly standard througout the whole production time?

Where there upgrade options with this too?

Comment

Hi DD. From what I noticed, the upholstery got slightly more, um, flamboyant, as the years progressed. It seems early ones were greys and blues and possibly browns? As the years went on, I saw brighter reds and then even pinks come in. It sems that once the surface mounted cooker came in, pink(ish) was a very popular colour. You might call it red, I suppose. Someone will know the colour's proper name. Sometimes even the vehicle seats were covered in the same material, it seems.

Don't get me started on dating by upholstery, lol!

Panda

Comment

Just when you thought it was safe to buy a C15......

And just to confuse an almost decided issue, here is a real anomaly.

Everything seems right about this C15 Hylo, except the upholstery. The soft furnishings seem earlier than a 1995 model, but the cooker appears correct. I am leaning towards it being ok, but as far as I can recall, I have only ever seen this dull upholstery (sorry, owners of the same cushions), on 1994 models and earlier.

I've asked the appropriate questions of the advertiser.

Thoughts/comments. Ant?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-c1...kAAOSwhQhY5l~y

A very tempted Panda.....
                      Last edited by Pandabloke; 19-06-2017, 03:33.

Comment

Oh and many apologies for resurrecting this old thread. But the more I search for a replacement for Henrietta, the more I sort of want Henrietta.

I think we all know where this is going.......

'Panda, come forward, the price is right!'

And I said I wouldn't buy another C15.....

An almost decided Panda.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandabloke View Post
                          Oh and many apologies for resurrecting this old thread. But the more I search for a replacement for Henrietta, the more I sort of want Henrietta.

I think we all know where this is going.......

'Panda, come forward, the price is right!'

And I said I wouldn't buy another C15.....

An almost decided Panda.

There's a couple of reasonably priced Hylos advertised for private sale on our website..

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/1992...-c15-hylo.html

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/1993...-c15-hylo.html
                          Graham
                          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

So long as the job has been done properly is having an old body on a newer base vehicle really such a problem?
                            Sesquipedalianism:-The overusage of long words.

Comment

Originally posted by jondxxx View Post
                              So long as the job has been done properly is having an old body on a newer base vehicle really such a problem?
                              Hi there. According to Ant, the pods were never designed to be lifted on and off and transfered to another vehicle. Also, C15 Romahomes were all built on chasis/cab units and it seems that most of the transfering of pods is done on to van chassis's which have a smaller load capacity than the chassis/cab units. And most later vans did not come with power steering, whereas most Romahomes did.

Panda
                              Last edited by Pandabloke; 19-06-2017, 17:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandabloke View Post

I wanted to narrow it down even more, really just as an exercise. So I did and here are my findings.

Flavel Vanessa cooker (white cooking surface) used up to and including aproximately 1991 on a J reg.

Flavel Vanessa cooker (beige cooking surface) used aproximately 1992 on a K reg until 1994 on an M reg.

Surface mounted cooker used aproximately from 1995 on an M reg to end of run, according to Ant, about 2002.
                                Without wishing to throw a spanner in the works, my recently-acquired early Hylo (1989) has a beige Vanessa, and appears to be original...
                                Did beige and white run side-by-side?
                                'There is absolutely no difference between theory and practice. In theory.'

Comment