Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to identify the age of C15 Cabins/Pods.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pandabloke
    replied
    Hi Kevin. It's a Smev, I think. My litterature is for a Smev. Now called Dometic Smev. Something like in the pictures here, I reckon. https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/ga...bs-and-cookers

Panda

Leave a comment:

• Kevin-Sheffield
    replied
    Hi, Does anybody know what the later cooker model was called. I have a P reg Romahome 1996. It has no label and I am trying to find were I can get Parts. Thanks Kevin-Sheffield

Leave a comment:

• peterholden
    replied
    Someone a few posts further up asked wht is the problem with transferring a camper shell to a later vehicle.

Well throughout the 90s Romahomes were built on 765KG platform cabs supplied by Citroen and the shell became heavier. One of the main reasons Romahome stopped producing on the C15 was the end of production by Citroen of the platform cabs.

Production of the van was switched to Poland (and possibly Portugal) but only 600Kg vans were imported to the UK.

That means any reshelll dated post 2002 is built on a cut down van on a much lower payload.

What are the insurance implications if you are involved in an accident. I know we all like a bargain but is it worth the risk. Brian Bailey has just written a thread about the reshells that he has seen.

I will stick my kneck out and say that I question the integrity of a dealer who sells a post 2002 C15 Romahome without explaining that it is a reshell and providingan engineers report for insurance purposes. A dealer cannot hide behind the "I didnt know defence". Dealers are supposed to know their product.

Rant over

Peter

Leave a comment:

• Pandabloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Pandabloke View Post
    And just to confuse an almost decided issue, here is a real anomaly.

Everything seems right about this C15 Hylo, except the upholstery. The soft furnishings seem earlier than a 1995 model, but the cooker appears correct. I am leaning towards it being ok, but as far as I can recall, I have only ever seen this dull upholstery (sorry, owners of the same cushions), on 1994 models and earlier.

I've asked the appropriate questions of the advertiser.

Thoughts/comments. Ant?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-c1...kAAOSwhQhY5l~y

A very tempted Panda.....
    Well, I tried to view this yesterday. I went to the address on the advert and it was a small compound on a back street industrial estate. There were several campers on display, probably about a dozen. Problem is, the place was all locked up. No one about, no opening times, nothing. Also, despite being told by the vendor that I wouldn't find a better C15, the front bumper appeared to be hanging off......

I always try and visit 'business' sellers ad hoc, without making arrangements. My theory is that you're either running a full time professional business selling campers, or you're not. If they're not there, then in my opinion, it's not a professional business. I went at 3.30pm and it was all locked up. No signage of opening times, but campers displayed as if for sale. Sometimes you just that feeling.......

I didn't have a wasted journey as I specifically went down there to view a Stimson at another place.

Panda

Leave a comment:

• Pandabloke
    replied
    Ha ha, now I only compiled my list via pictures, as accurately as was reasonable, so I can't really comment. But as I said, there are bound to be some anomalies. Maybe yours was replaced under warranty or something similar?

From looking at the cookers, it seems at first glance that white and beige Flavel Vanessas could be interchangeable?

Panda.

Leave a comment:

• Del
    replied

I wanted to narrow it down even more, really just as an exercise. So I did and here are my findings.

Flavel Vanessa cooker (white cooking surface) used up to and including aproximately 1991 on a J reg.

Flavel Vanessa cooker (beige cooking surface) used aproximately 1992 on a K reg until 1994 on an M reg.

Surface mounted cooker used aproximately from 1995 on an M reg to end of run, according to Ant, about 2002.
    Without wishing to throw a spanner in the works, my recently-acquired early Hylo (1989) has a beige Vanessa, and appears to be original...
    Did beige and white run side-by-side?

Leave a comment:

• Pandabloke
    replied
    Originally posted by jondxxx View Post
    So long as the job has been done properly is having an old body on a newer base vehicle really such a problem?
    Hi there. According to Ant, the pods were never designed to be lifted on and off and transfered to another vehicle. Also, C15 Romahomes were all built on chasis/cab units and it seems that most of the transfering of pods is done on to van chassis's which have a smaller load capacity than the chassis/cab units. And most later vans did not come with power steering, whereas most Romahomes did.

Panda
    Last edited by Pandabloke; 19-06-2017, 17:28.

Leave a comment:

• jondxxx
    replied
    So long as the job has been done properly is having an old body on a newer base vehicle really such a problem?

Leave a comment:

• Graham
    replied
    Oh and many apologies for resurrecting this old thread. But the more I search for a replacement for Henrietta, the more I sort of want Henrietta.

I think we all know where this is going.......

'Panda, come forward, the price is right!'

And I said I wouldn't buy another C15.....

An almost decided Panda.

There's a couple of reasonably priced Hylos advertised for private sale on our website..

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/1992...-c15-hylo.html

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/1993...-c15-hylo.html

Leave a comment:

• Pandabloke
    replied
    Oh and many apologies for resurrecting this old thread. But the more I search for a replacement for Henrietta, the more I sort of want Henrietta.

I think we all know where this is going.......

'Panda, come forward, the price is right!'

And I said I wouldn't buy another C15.....

An almost decided Panda.

Leave a comment:

• Pandabloke
    replied
    Just when you thought it was safe to buy a C15......

And just to confuse an almost decided issue, here is a real anomaly.

Everything seems right about this C15 Hylo, except the upholstery. The soft furnishings seem earlier than a 1995 model, but the cooker appears correct. I am leaning towards it being ok, but as far as I can recall, I have only ever seen this dull upholstery (sorry, owners of the same cushions), on 1994 models and earlier.

I've asked the appropriate questions of the advertiser.

Thoughts/comments. Ant?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-c1...kAAOSwhQhY5l~y

A very tempted Panda.....
    Last edited by Pandabloke; 19-06-2017, 03:33.

Leave a comment:

• Pandabloke
    replied
    Hi DD. From what I noticed, the upholstery got slightly more, um, flamboyant, as the years progressed. It seems early ones were greys and blues and possibly browns? As the years went on, I saw brighter reds and then even pinks come in. It sems that once the surface mounted cooker came in, pink(ish) was a very popular colour. You might call it red, I suppose. Someone will know the colour's proper name. Sometimes even the vehicle seats were covered in the same material, it seems.

Don't get me started on dating by upholstery, lol!

Panda

Leave a comment:

• Donk's Dad
    replied
    Did the interior upholstery of the camping unit go through changes as time went on, or did it stay fairly standard througout the whole production time?

Where there upgrade options with this too?

Leave a comment:

• Caz
    replied
    Thank you. I know it was genuine because I had a 3 inch thick folder with all the documentation, service history, old MOTs etc in. It was a great little van and in some ways I regretted trading it in as it was in very good nick. I'd only had the underneath undersealed a couple of months before and I got peanuts in p/x. I just hope it found a good home and didn't just take a one way trip somewhere.

PS I didn't like the old upholstery and usually covered it in dark pink fleece blankets to match the cushions.

Leave a comment:

• Pandabloke
    replied
    Hi Caz.

My, you made that look gorgeous, just with pillows and tie backs. Oh dear, that sounded a bit camp, sorry! The simple personal touch really makes the interior stand out. And the white topped Flavel Vanessa cooker concurs that indeed your pod was pre-1992. The system works, lol!

Panda

Leave a comment: