As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

driving in snow & ice?

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

driving in snow & ice?

Hello

Any tips as to driving a Romahome in the snow and ice? I am stranded where I am. Traction is less than great at the best of times but in current conditions is worse than useless and I can't get the van up even a very slight incline on my ungritted road. Has anyone tried using winter tyres, and are they worth it? Any other ideas?

Happy hols to all

There was a great discussion recently on this very subject:

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/foru...t=winter+tyres

I don't think I would even try going out in this. Much safer to stay indoors if you can.

Comment

Been out in our berlingo car today and there is lots of snow that has not been cleared. I tend to set off in second gear with as few revs as possible (Ikeep my foot away from the accelerator pedal and let it move on tickover.)and it works most of the time. I have used the same method with our Romahome in the past.

Comment

Thanks for the link to the earlier discussion - interesting. As for starting in 2nd gear, it's not the starting and pulling off that's a problem - it's when I get stuck. I tried to drive it today and got stuck after 100 yds or so, sliding around all over the place. Then tried starting it in 1st, 2nd, and reverse. Eventually just slithered home backwards in 1st! Guess we just stay put then till it thaws
        Last edited by Deactivated user; 20-12-2010, 21:31.

Comment

GypsyMe

Not tried driving the Romy in snow yet, but would imagine it's a pig as front wheel drive carrying all that weight behind is a recipe for no front grip.
          Have been driving my front wheel drive Mondeo in the snow and have had to remove all of the heavy equipment in the boot, as it's pretty hairy trying to get anywhere with it in.

Tony Anchorman

Comment

Yes, I suspect the front wheel drive is the problem.

My old Tranny is rear wheel drive, so the more weight in the back, the better. Had a bit of wheel spin reversing back up the pavement on to my drive the other day - whereas my cars are front wheel drive, so the driving wheels are still on the snow-free road while the back wheels go up the "hill" of the snowy pavement on to the drive, so no problems.

P.S. When you're going backwards you should be in reverse, not first, even if you're sliding downhill!

Comment

winter tyres

Was myself who posted on Ask Ant.

We've not done anything about tyres yet, we just haven't gone out either.

When I now read other folks experiences, think we are as well at home and
              just grateful we don't have to go out to work - pair of old wrinklies now.

Merry Christmas to all.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by baldybantam View Post

When I now read other folks experiences, think we are as well at home and
                just grateful we don't have to go out to work - pair of old wrinklies now.

Merry Christmas to all.

Margaret
                I agree Margaret, with the weather as it is we are certainly not venturing out driving anywhere unless we can help it and then we go in the car. I certainly don't want to risk having a bump in the van, it means too much to us. Unfortunately folks who only have one vehicle have no choice.

Keep safe everyone.
                Graham
                Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Been out in our Romahome today and has behaved as well as our Berlingo car in the snow. It has Barum vannis tyres on it fitted last march. They seem to perform better than the michelins inthe snow

Comment

I like to take my van out at least once every 10 days or so, weather or no weather, it needs the exercise - don't want it seizing upon me.

Same with the cars, standing around doing nothing doesn't do any of them any good.

Comment

I am revving the engine for 10 mins or so every couple of days so the battery stays alive, but I can't go anywhere..... getting a touch of cabin fever it has to be said. Can't walk either - it's an ice field

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
                        Been out in our berlingo car today and there is lots of snow that has not been cleared. I tend to set off in second gear with as few revs as possible (Ikeep my foot away from the accelerator pedal and let it move on tickover.)and it works most of the time. I have used the same method with our Romahome in the past.
                        I thought that everyone knew the drill for driving on snow and ice -

to start - foot hard down in 1st gear to spin the wheels and polish the surface into smooth ice, then when no grip, spin even harder and form an ice hollow under each driving wheel - swear about the Council not having gritted your driveway - get spouse to push the car out onto the road - then roar off as usual (0 - 30 in 3 seconds)

Driving - drive as usual, three feet behind the car in front, and if they are not going 50% faster than the speed limit allows, then nudge up closer and sound horn whilst shouting "Gerroutofmywayyousillyold******"

To stop - leave it until the last moment, then slam the brakes on as usual and rejoice in the resultant slide either into the car in front or down the camber into the gutter - swear about the Council not having gritted the roads.

Well that's how most people round here do it

Last Saturday, during or just after the blizzard there was a 30 car collision on the A13 and the resultant queue backed up about 17 miles and Southend on Sea (at the tail end of the queue) was totally gridlocked. This is in Essex, no real hills, dual carriageway on the flat, yet somehow the numpties out there managed to bring this part of the County to a halt.

I despair

Barry

PS, no trouble driving our Berlingo car; move off and accelerate (gently does it) in highest gear possible, changing up as soon as the engine is comfortable; drive smoothly using gears to slow down; only use the brakes to finally stop; leave clear distance from car in front; park ensuring that there is a clear exit route available (rock the car back and forwards before finally stopping to ensure there is no wall of snow in front of the tyres when it is time to move). All simple common sense really. I personally feel that front wheel drive is better than rear wheel drive, since it pulls the vehicle along without the tendancy of rear driving wheels to try and slide sideways and overtake the front of the car. Purely my opinion, no doubt Jeremy Clarkson would disagree

PPS, for walking on the ice and snow, we have the clip on chains/spikes for our boots - brilliant! Trekking poles with spikes on the bottom also help.

Comment

Originally posted by GypsyMe View Post
                          I am revving the engine for 10 mins or so every couple of days so the battery stays alive, but I can't go anywhere..... getting a touch of cabin fever it has to be said. Can't walk either - it's an ice field
                          Yep cabin fever here too... and I have a caravan so it will be a long long time before I try towing that!

When I had my little campervan, I didn't tax it during the winter months, so I used to just start it once a week or so and leave it on tickover for approx 15 mins. That used to keep the batteries topped up. It wouldn't start once when it went very cold, so I just left it until the weather warmed up above freezing and thawed, and found that there was just enough left in the battery to start it, then sneaked twice around the block to charge up!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X