Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

De-mountables, Motorhome, Campervan or Goods vehicle?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

De-mountables, Motorhome, Campervan or Goods vehicle?

I have a Daihatsu Hijet Romahome. The reg doc classes it as a Pick up. If it's a pick up then it is also a goods vehicle, therefore is not classed as a motorhome. That means, presumably, that Motorhome overnight parking bans do not apply to my vehicle. Am I correct. I also assume that I can not change the vehicle type to Motorhome as the body is not permanantly fixed? Has anyone actually got a Hijet that is registered as a motorhome?

Hi Chris,

I have read somewhere, recently, that a demountable is regarded as a goods vehicle. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I read it, who said it, and in what context. ??? Insurance? DVLA? MOT? Speed limits?

I wonder if Google knows?

Comment

Hi,

I haven't found much on Google. Somebody commented that a motor caravan being used as a truck might void the insurance ... insurers cannot refuse Third Party liability because of modifications, though they can sue you to recover their losses. Own damage/loss might mean you have to sue them, with not much chance of success.

Car-derived vans are subject to the same speed limits as cars. I am not aware that that extends to car-derived pick-ups.

There is something in my memory about the law considering modifications that can be easily/quickly reversed .... but it was a long time ago (40 or 50 years), and I cannot remember the context, or what loopholes I was exploring ... possibly trying to avoid Purchase Tax or speed limits on my Minivan.

I would regard my Romahome as a goods vehicle, apart from the four bolts holding the pod to the flat-bed. Does that make it permanent? Would wing-nuts be less permanent? Over-centre toggles?

Comment

I can't remember now (long time ago) whether my demountable was registered as a pick up, I think it might have been registered as a van... However, Adrian Flux insurers insured it as a small motorhome, which meant that the pod and contents were also insured as well as the vehicle, and I think it was cheaper for being classed as a small van on the reg doc.

There is a link on the website here for a discount for Adrian Flux insurers.

As 602 says, car derived vans are subject to the same speed limits. I think this also applies to flat bed vans as well. As my old thing didn't even hit 50mph flat out, the upper speed limit of 70 didn't actually apply to me!

Comment

As far as i am aware the Pick up will always be registered as a pick up.

The DVLA would register it as a motorhome because you can take the pod off and use it as a commercial vehicle, unlike the permanently fixed bodied Romahome.

I use mine with a box body on for my work and insured for that and i replace that with the Romahome pod for camping.

Its not a conversion. I just happen to be carrying a demountable camper pod or a van box body. It could easily be a wardrobe or a craine bag of sand...its just the load.

I know our pod and the box van wont be covered under my insurance but if its somebody else's fault their insurance will.

Comment