As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases


No announcement yet.

Henrietta's been framed!

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Henrietta's been framed!

    Too nice a day to be indoors so took the opportunity to have another look at Henrietta's pod door.

    You may remember my brother and I re-hung the door with shims and spacers to try and make it fit what I thought was a dodgey door frame. The stable door had been screwed together to make a one piece rear door as well. We removed the joining plate to make two doors again and Steve jiggled the door best he could to make it fit the frame. It was still touching at the bottom corner though, which anoyed me a bit and let in a wee draught.

    Well, I've had another look at it today and at last I think I've made sense of what has occurred. I think what has happened is at some stage Henrietta has carelessly reversed in to a post and that impact has creased the door frame at the bottom and right hand bottom corner as you face it from the back. I've had a gander at the undamaged frame area and it is flat, but in the areas I have just mentioned, there is a kink, crease or hump, if you will, in the frame, indeed as if it has been crushed from a rear impact.

    Once I realised what had happened it was a bit easier to try and correct. Normally I would chase out a crease in a bit of metal by sandwiching it from above and below and squeezing it or giving it a blow with a hammer from one side while supporting the other side. I believe it is called 'dressing' it. However, the frame is of an odd construction and it proved impossible to get anything underneath it to tap against. In the end, i gave the creased frame some firm blows with a hammer from above, to flatten the crease best I could and on the curved corner section of the frame, I nestled the upturned jaws of some water pump pliers (also called parrot nosed grips and other things, I think) in to the shape of the curve and then gave a further few blows to the pliers to dress the metal in to its curved shape.

    And it sort of worked. I stopped welting the thing once there was some clearance between door and frame in the corner. Although there is not a symmetry to the door to frame gap all round, at least now there is a gap all round. Job done as far as is reasonable. I think if I keep belting it, it will inevitably cause further but different damage to the frame in that corner.

    The other thing that bothered me was that the lower part of the door appeared to have sprung at the bottom, again in the corner where it was rubbing on the frame and there was a tiny visible gap betwixt door and the frame rubber that it should seal against.

    I read in 'Ask Ant" somewhere that the bottom part of the door should always be shut and secured with its own catch, not as part of the whole door, otherwise it would get a bow in it, which has indeed happened. No problem, Henrietta is 19 years old and little things like a slightly bowed door are to be expected. The easiest way to fix this, now I have stopped it rubbing on the frame, was to fit another turnbuckle catch, further down the door near the corner. This I have now done. I managed to get a new turnbuckle from my local caravan dealers, but unfortunately, it needed a spacer to make it fit. Fortunately enough, while visiting Camping International in Gillingham a couple of days ago, blow me, I spotted nothing more than a turnbuckle spacer on their rack of fiddly bits! Duly purchased, once mated with the turnbuckle, it needed rubbing down a couple of millimetres to fit, but fit it does and now the door pulls in a treat at the bottom corner. I am hoping that in time, the pressure from the new turnbuckle catch might reverse some of the bow in the door. Whatever though, it now fits a treat.

    I am running out of jobs. Winston the cat is getting bored and things are running too smoothly.

    I may have to have a look at the fridge shortly to establish what has happened with the gas connection, which isn't there....


    Henrietta's new turnbuckle catch to help it close snugly at the base of the door. Lower catch is the new one.

    Attached Files


      The legend that is Winston the cat.

      He is the gormless black one the right. The other one is his recently deceased stepsister, Archie (yes she was a girl called Archie...) Both very cute though, I'm sure you'll agree.


        You've done well getting the door to fit properly! I like the idea of an extra turnbuckle, very simple idea but a great way to stop those draughts!


          Our bottom door is bowed out slightly, which has put a crease in the aluminium front skin, but i think this has been caused by the latch (turnbuckle as Pandabloke called it) being a bit loose on its mount and twisting down. this would then jam against the frame as you shut the door.

          I managed to get some of the bow out of the door by holding the top corner of the door open and putting slight pressure on the bottom corner, as if trying to shut it.


          320x50 mobile only under posts reg users


          728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users