X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello and can I just ask...

Hi there,

We are a couple from York who are new to your forum and new to Romahome ownership. So for of all; HELLO!

We have seen what we think is a good deal at Dolphin Motorhomes in Southampton. A 2005 (55 plate) Hightop Exclusive with all the extras, 8700 miles on the clock and an asking price of £21,000. We are happy with the offer for our Ace Napoli motorhome and have paid a refundable deposit of £250 to reserve the vehicle until we can get down and view it next week.

However - we are new to Romahomes, know nothing about this dealer who is 250 miles away and have not seen this style of sale before (its a sale or return agreement they have from a previous customer).

Van looks great on the web, we've researched out market as much as possible and think all looks okay. But any thoughts you lot have would be much appreciated.

Thanks very, very much for any replies. And we will be sticking around once we have our 'baby' - honest.

Mark and Helen
    York
    Ooop North
    A long way from Southampton!

Hi you two - and welcome to our Group.

Just had a look at it on their website - looks a nicely looked after unit - can't comment on the price, as not familiar with recent prices - I have a Bongo !!

Two comments spring to mind :- 1, it has the older 1.9l engine - the 2l HDi one is a nicer, more modern unit, and goes like a sports car!!

2, to counteract that comment, I see it has a diesel heater - they are worth their weight in gold if you camp outside of the summer months.

Hopefully someone else will have a few comments shortly.

Mike
    Last edited by Yamaha; 31-01-2011, 00:50.

Comment

Hi Mark and Helen

Nice of you to pop on to our forum you are very welcome.

I can tell you a little history of Dolphin Motorhomes, the site was originally owned by Freeborns who are Romahome dealers until there was some sort of split and Freeborns moved to other premises. Dolphin are now nothing to do with Romahome (i.e. they aren't a Romahome dealer) although they do sell second hand Romahomes.

Freeborns are Romahome dealers and they are based near the football ground at Southampton they sell new and used Romahomes and have a good reputation. Here is their website FREEBORN ROMAHOME CENTRE

Another well known and well loved Romahome dealer is AVON MOTOR CARAVANS in Bristol who also come highly recommended.

Not sure that helps with your decision, the van looks good and has low mileage, whatever you decide come back and let us know.

Best of luck.
      Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Thanks folks - what a lovely, friendly site!

Yes - we were aware of the Freeborn outlet and will probably visit them too, although they don't have a van we want at the moment. Also aware of the 1.9 engine, but tend to think that you can't tick absolutely every box and this vehicle *seems* perfect in every other way - esp. with the heater, pullman, loo, etc.

Cheers again - any further comment would be appreciated and yes, will certainly tell you how we get on.

Mark

Comment

Hello, the "Sale or Return" is a normal business practise that I have used many times with cars and motorcycles. It is nothing to be alarmed about. Basically it works like this, the dealer is effectively selling his "shop window" if he was buying in he may offer say 16/17k on it but on a sale or return would say be looking to get 18/19k to the seller. The real risk is being carried by the seller, there has been a couple of cases recently in the motorcycle trade where a dealer has gone bust and the proceeds of a sale or return deal had not been passed to the seller. From your point of view make sure that you know if this dealer is offering his normal warranty and if he is not then make sure the price reflects this, Good Luck.

Geoff.

Comment

We have a 2007 Outlook with that engine and we have no problems.
            Yes it is slower than the 2L and yes the fuel consumption is worse. But to counteract that the service is much cheaper and the engine has a reputation for reliability and longevity.

Our Romahome has now covered over 40,000 miles and we have a Berlingo car that is 10 year old and has done in excess of 130000 miles (we have had it from new). Engine wise - it uses no oil between changes, servicing costs are minimal and almost any garage can work on it. I do all my own maintenance and repairs and it is a very easy vehicle to work on. We chose the 1.9 engine for that very reason.

Comment

Yay - we got it! R20, 55 reg Outlook Exclusive, 8200 miles. Erm....white.

What a day though, 250 mile trip to Dolphin in Southampton, driving old Ace motorhome. Two mad test drives, a lot of looking under seats, sills, bonnet etc, a bit of negotiation and then a mad dash for the train we'd booked - made it by 5 mins!

Really pleased though - can't wait to collect it.

Comment

Originally posted by MarknHelen View Post
                Yay - we got it! R20, 55 reg Outlook Exclusive, 8200 miles. Erm....white.

What a day though, 250 mile trip to Dolphin in Southampton, driving old Ace motorhome. Two mad test drives, a lot of looking under seats, sills, bonnet etc, a bit of negotiation and then a mad dash for the train we'd booked - made it by 5 mins!

Really pleased though - can't wait to collect it.
                Marvellous news , well done, just in time for spring which will arrive before long honest.

Just one thing, you ought to have negotiated that they deliver it to you. Freeborns do this for no extra charge.
                Graham
                Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                Working...
                X