well done fantastic work have a great time in it

Kyran

Comment

Originally posted by kyran View Post
      I learnt a few things in this thread
      well done fantastic work have a great time in it

Kyran
      Thanks Kyran

I must say I've learnt a lot myself along the way, had my ups and downs with the project and nearly called it a day on one occasion but with my wife's words ringing in my ears ("You really are mad aren't you? that will never be on the road again or are you planning moving into it") with those words ringing in my ears was all I needed to crack on with it. I had a couple of others as well doubting it would never be back on the road, I've never been one for giving up without a fight, chitty was a hard nut to crack over 14 or so months but I got there in the end. Total coast around £1,500 give or take, most of the work was carried out by myself so I must have saved a small fortune.
      "Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time"

Comment

I'll miss this thread when it finishes.... it's been the first thing I log into when I go on line since it started. Looking forward to seeing the photos after respray though! Great thread, great job.
        A bad day fishing is infinitely better than a good day at work.

Comment

Originally posted by Les Barbeux View Post
          I'll miss this thread when it finishes.... it's been the first thing I log into when I go on line since it started. Looking forward to seeing the photos after respray though! Great thread, great job.
          Thanks Les

I think I'll miss my little adventure from the first day I handed the guy £100 and pushed chitty off his drive onto the next drive and into my daughters garage for the beginning of the restoration of chitty.
          She's come a long way since that day with blood, sweat, and a few choice words, although she'll be re-sprayed, I have a lot of wiring still left to do, I've almost completed her sat-nav/dvd/TV radio, I've completed the central locking and electric windows, I still have her rear camera and sensors, her tracking device that is still sat her in front of me on my desk and then finally her alarm system. I do intend to install a little larger battery because the one in her must be getting on in years now and although it still works, I think with the power drain from the alarm and tracker when left for weeks at a time may take it's toll and no doubt she'll go flat when I'm out in her. I do check current drain in any specs before I buy anything but have yet to come across a current drain that matches what they say in the specs, so taking no chances.

I will also have the vinyl design as the finishing touches to do but still wracking my brain for a design. I've seen one design online that I would like to have but what do you guy's think? This image isn't chitty but the one with the design I like. Your thoughts or idea's please ladies & gents. I don't want the Citroen bling on the doors though
          "Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time"

Comment

is it available in other colours.

I think a little brighter would suit "chitty"

Comment

I'm not too familiar with childrens' films, but if she is to be identified as Chitty, what colours was the film car done in? Would that be appropriate?
              I was going to say that looks fabulous, until you said the picture wasn't Chitty!
              Blessed are those who find wisdom, those who gain understanding. Proverbs 3

Comment

I agree with leaving off the Citroen "bling". I can't understand what value that adds to a vehicle.

Before we put the deposit on our Romahome i had been looking online for weeks for a suitable vehicle and several times I came across VW etc that had a suitable spec but when it came to the looks I was staggered. One in particular had very large VW emblems in bright colours covering part of the side and up onto the roof. Inside they made a big issue of the fact that the carpet was VW, just look at that lovely pattern and the cushions were "proper" VW cushions with the emblem on them. I guess they must have been VW enthusiasts. Each to their own I suppose but not for me.

Whatever you do Jeff, it will be stunning.

Comment

Originally posted by Donk's Dad View Post
                  is it available in other colours.

I think a little brighter would suit "chitty"
                  It's vinyl DD so any colour I want really, The boss said she wanted something closer to the original but talked her out of that one lol

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
                    I'm not too familiar with childrens' films, but if she is to be identified as Chitty, what colours was the film car done in? Would that be appropriate?
                    I was going to say that looks fabulous, until you said the picture wasn't Chitty!
                    lol Shame really isn't it because that one was completely reupholstered as well but same year and they wanted £7,000 for it.

Chitty chitty bang bang was bought as a wreck by Caractacus Potts because his children said they wanted the car that was once a racing car, he bought it and took it into his barn, worked day and night and then rolled out the finished project, it was a magic car and could fly and float on water, shame my chitty couldn't do them isn't it lol here's a couple of pictures of the real chitty before and after but as you see it didn't really have any colour apart from the wings and the floatation device. But it may give you the idea why I called mine chitty chitty bang bang, she went into my daughters garage a wreck and will come out like new. Well almost like new lol

Comment

Originally posted by SandraM View Post
                      I agree with leaving off the Citroen "bling". I can't understand what value that adds to a vehicle.

Before we put the deposit on our Romahome i had been looking online for weeks for a suitable vehicle and several times I came across VW etc that had a suitable spec but when it came to the looks I was staggered. One in particular had very large VW emblems in bright colours covering part of the side and up onto the roof. Inside they made a big issue of the fact that the carpet was VW, just look at that lovely pattern and the cushions were "proper" VW cushions with the emblem on them. I guess they must have been VW enthusiasts. Each to their own I suppose but not for me.

Whatever you do Jeff, it will be stunning.
                      If Citroen would like to sponsor me then I'll happily add it to the doors, I will add the small Citroen like the original to the back but I do think it spoils the look of the one in the image. I've always fancied a VW, watched a 14 year old lad and his dad rebuild one over the years, they turned it into a camper van but kept the VW to the original specs. They do fetch a good price now but I'll stick with Chitty thanks lol

Comment

I'd just like to point out to you guy's that have been following chitty's rebirth.

I think it was Pauline who posted regarding a German couple who were visiting the UK, they'd been to a couple of places in the UK and went on to Nottingham, if my memory is right? They had their campervan stolen along with all the belongings they had with them, it cut their tour of the UK by 3 weeks and they had to fly home. I was gutted for this couple because I could only think of how would I feel if this happened to me after all the work and money I've put into bringing chitty back to life.
                        It was after this post I decided I was going to fit a tracking device and last night I did a bench test, I can send the tracker commands from my phone or PC to disable my camper, I could have sent the signal to disable 20 minutes before if I wanted but the tracker will not disable the camper when it reaches a safe speed this can't happen for safety reasons like on a motorway but when the vehicle gets down to around 20mph say approaching traffic lights etc. then the relay will do it's job... I sent the signal from my phone and I heard the relay click into action as if disabling the campervan, I carried out all tests on the bench and will be installing it on Sunday....
                        I was in the burglar alarm trade for 15 years and I went on to become the company surveyor, I was also the companies approved vehicle alarm installer, over those years I learnt a lot but one thing I did learn, is no burglar or car thief likes noise, so I decided to add a Thatchem category 1 approved alarm system.

OK What does this mean? An approved alarm system is one that has been tested installed and approved by Thatchem you may know them better for testing the safety of our modern cars. Now if you have this alarm system fitted by a Thatchem approved installer you can get an insurance discount, Now I don't really mind not getting a discount on my insurance and what a vehicle alarm supplier who sells these cat1 approved alarms fails to tell you is that it will come with a users manual but it will never come with the installation manual this will force you to have it professionally installed at a large extra cost. I contacted the sales company and below is the context of our phone conversation.

Bought a category 1 insurance approved alarm system for my campervan from you and it arrived yesterday, I checked the contents and no wiring instructions come with it, he said as it's a category 1 alarm system it has to be wired by one of their professional mobile teams at the cost of £325 hahaha, your having a laugh mate.

I went on to tell him I used to be a VSIB approved installer that made the phone go quite for a bit, I said if you think I'm paying you £325 for something I can do myself, then you are out of luck, more speal came out of his mouth by saying but if you want it for insurance purposes then you need the certificate signed by an authorised Thatchem approved installer, Do you sign and stamp the certificate I asked "oh yes we do all that", what type of company stamp do you carry then? I asked, a rubber stamp he replied, ah said me, but if you are a truly approved Thatchem approved installer then the code of practice states that the stamp must be a embossed one and not rubber stamped. No comment came back only a question as to what type of car alarms I installed so I told him CAT 1 Cobra alarms, how do you make connections into the vehicles wiring loom was the next question, by splicing/cutting then soldering every joint, finished of by either heat shrinking or Self-amalgamating tape. I also still get my meter calibrated once a year.
                        I've since managed through a contact to get hold of the engineers installation manual who sent it to me and it's sat here in front of me right now.

My claim to fame on car alarm installs is, I once installed a car alarm for Arthur C Clarks brother, Fred Clark and as a thank you for a job well done, a couple of weeks later and from Sri Lanka, I received a signed copy from Arthur C Clark himself a copy of space Odyssey 2010.

See a lot of people have vehicles that come with factory fitted alarms and insurance companies fail miserably to make sure you have your alarm system checked every 12 months just like your vehicle MOT, the only problem with this is, if your vehicle is broken into and the alarm failed or you failed to arm it, then do you think they will pay out?
                        I repaired many vehicle alarms that had never been serviced in their life time of the vehicle and I only ever got to see them if something was wrong or it kept activating once armed.

I will be installing my own alarm to my own standards knowing that every single connection is soldered and I will then know it's been installed properly, Just because someone is approved on the day of his/her test it doesn't mean that engineer will continue to keep to those same standards.

Comment

HEARHEARHEARHEAR WELL SAID THAT MAN.
                          The only reason I never installed a Thatcham alarm was that I was supposed to pay somebody of dubious competence hundreds of pounds for half a day's work I could do myself. My bleatings to the suppliers that I worked in electronics Research and Development meant nothing. I could tell them all the various contact resistances of soldered wires versus crimped wires versus choc bloc connectors, those awful Skotch-lok connectors, I could tell them all about Time Domain Reflectometry where you measure the amount of signal reflected back to the source from a wiring joint. I could tell them all the reasons that you hear car alarms going off all the time when they are not being stolen. No. Because you haven't paid us many hundreds of pounds for the one day training course and haven't got the certificate you cannot install one of our alarms.
                          You can stuff your alarm wherever it is most painful then.
                          So I have never had an alarm 'professionally' installed, but on my 6 month old- bought second hand- motorhome it does indeed have a Thatcham alarm, that someone else has paid for. When I press the central locking/ alarm activator button on the remote fob, sometimes it just locks. Sometimes it locks and beeps once. Sometimes it locks and beeps twice. Do I care? No I do not. I have no idea why it does that.
                          I always reckon the best alarm would be as follows: Embed a thin strand of wire into the back of the steering wheel. Connect this wire to the output of a 12v to 240v inverter, which switches on with the ignition, unless you have first operated a disabling switch hidden under the dashboard. Don't have any warning notices on the windows but instead have a small video camera positioned to film the driving seat occupant. You can then make a fortune selling the footage on youtube or you've been framed or such like places. The de-luxe version of this alarm would include a small metal spike in the centre of the driver's seat, sited just below the level of the fabric. This spike would be connected preferably to the HT side of the ignition coil on a petrol engine, - you would have to make some kind of a 40,000 volt device to connect it to on a diesel vehicle. Forget all that nonsense about not letting them continue their journey, just give them a couple of good belts, and they will soon abandon it.

Getting back to reality (who said we had left it?) there is one easy peasy thing you can do if you have an 'old' diesel engine, I'm not sure of the year exactly. Not so long ago a diesel engine would be stopped by electrically opening a fuel line valve which sent the fuel back to the tank instead of to the injector pump. It is about as easy as stealing candy from a baby (have you tried that lately with all the protective measures and risk assessments mums have to fill in before taking baby out in a pram nowadays?). You just have a hidden switch under the dashboard which keeps this valve in the open position, and the engine will never start. Furthermore the morons trying to steal it won't have a clue where to look, even if they thought they had the time. I'm not sure what the equivalent is nowadays on a Eruo whateveritis engine, but I bet there is one somewhere.
                          Last edited by gasgas; 09-12-2016, 21:53.

Comment

hahaha gasgas that made me laugh and by the sounds of it you baffled the poor guy and he stopped listening to you after the first 2 sentences lol

I used to have to pay for my own membership fee to be an accredited member of the VSIB but it really was a total waste of hundreds of pounds and I hear the same thing about Thatchem being a accredited installer is a waste of money because neither one of them do random installation checks.

I will be honest and say that if any accredited installer sticks to the recommendations of an installation and that includes taping up the whole of the loom and push it to the back of any factory looms so they blend in and make them more difficult to spot, also bolting the control box up under the dash and not to the footwell walls and every single joint soldered then you will have a good alarm system, but we have to pay for this luxury of having a professional install the system.
                            I expect recommendations have changed a bit from when I used to install them and cars with computer driven EMS must be taken into account. The installation of my alarm would have cost me more to have it installed than it cost to buy the unit. I had an email tonight from the supplier and with it an attachment, when I opened it, it contained the installation manual, I emailed them back thanking them, I didn't have the heart to tell them I already have it now lol

I don't condone the price of installing a cat1 or cat2 alarm system but when you know what you are doing then £325 is a kick in the teeth.

I phoned my insurance company up tonight to get their thoughts on it, I told them my employment history in intruder and car alarms and they said there are no rules that I can't install it myself but I must take it to a garage to get it checked over and them to stamp the certificate that came with the alarm and they would then apply my discount but no doubt my local garage wouldn't have a clue if I've installed it correctly or not and no doubt just do a key fob and operational test on it and for that pleasure they will charge me around £100 which wouldn't cover the discount on insurance.
                            I think I'll just install it myself and enjoy the fact that the system has been installed correctly.

Oh regarding the diesel pump cut-out switch a thatchem cat1 alarm must have a immobiliser and this one has, it gives you 2 options one is to install the relay to cut out the diesel pump and the other is to cut the ignition and like you said a baby could defeat the pump method so I'm opting for the ignition because there is a little more involved actually getting to the wires than opening the bonnet and chucking a link wire across the diesel pump.
                            Last edited by Jeff Brown; 09-12-2016, 23:10.

Comment

How about this? Just carry an A4 sized card around with you which says Broken Down. Then whenever you park it, just stick the card on the dashboard.

Comment

Knowing my luck I'll get back to where I parked chitty and on the other side of the sign it will say "WE fixed your camper and have taken it for a joy ride" lol

Comment