No announcement yet.

Chitty Chitty bang bang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old diesels are pretty much cut the wire to the shut off solenoid, connect a PP3 to it, bump start it and you're gone.

A mechanical shut off valve in the fuel line added later would be my first choice now, hidden away somewhere not that obvious.

Comment

Agreed. In Military vehicles they had a kill switch that killed all power to the electrics but easily found under the front lift up seats on a landrover. At the end of the day we just have to try any/every trick in the book just to make things difficult for a would be thief, I know from my days in the security trade that no thief likes to hang around and no thief likes noise or lights.
      "Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time"

Comment

Now you've got your eye in!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192052327580?ul_noapp=true

Comment

Jeff- on a slightly skewed divergence, I wonder if you can help me. I am looking for the VIN number of a van the same as mine but with steering wheel controls so that the correct computer program can be downloaded into my body ECU. I learned today that if I want steering wheel controls for my radio, the only way to do it is to download the program from Fiat which is identical to another vehicle that had these controls when it left the factory. I have got the steering wheel, what I need now is the program. Do you happen to know how I can get a VIN number without visiting dealers looking for a similar vehicle and opening its bonnet? Also do you know if you unplug an ECU from one vehicle and plug it into another will it work, or will it lose its memory?
          Sorry its nothing to do with Chitty but you sound like the sort of chap who might know.
          The king knows all that they intend by interception which they dream not of.

Comment

WOW!! and I thought Chitty was in a bad state when I bought her lol I think I'll give this one a wide berth. chitty's inside was in pretty good nick just needed a good cleaning and the odd few jobs doing, the one on ebay needs a complete rebuild and besides, it wont fit in me garage lol
            "Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time"

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
              Jeff- on a slightly skewed divergence, I wonder if you can help me. I am looking for the VIN number of a van the same as mine but with steering wheel controls so that the correct computer program can be downloaded into my body ECU. I learned today that if I want steering wheel controls for my radio, the only way to do it is to download the program from Fiat which is identical to another vehicle that had these controls when it left the factory. I have got the steering wheel, what I need now is the program. Do you happen to know how I can get a VIN number without visiting dealers looking for a similar vehicle and opening its bonnet? Also do you know if you unplug an ECU from one vehicle and plug it into another will it work, or will it lose its memory?
              Sorry its nothing to do with Chitty but you sound like the sort of chap who might know.
              You could try looking through the scrappy for one the same year with the wheel controls, going through a dealer you may as well re-mortgage your house I expect. Another option is to find a forum on the net that specifically target your type of vehicle and ask on there or put a main post on here and see if you have any luck. Failing all that if your radio came with a remote control it tells me the radio is able to receive IR signals and if so you can pop onto fleabay and they do a steering wheel control you can use to change channels, Vol etc.

Comment

I haven't connected the motion sensor or fuel cut-off to Chitty's tracker yet, when I have she will text me to say she's moving without my permission. I popped online to check she's still sending me a signal back and I'm happy to report that's she's still were I leave her and she's doing 0mph lol. I could zoom in a bit more but that's close enough for security reasons that you guy's will understand.
                Oh and Monday morning she goes in for her re-spray, so this time next week she will be looking like new. Just sat her cutting some vinyl graphics, still not got the colour I want yet but will get it next week.

Last edited by Jeff Brown; 15-12-2016, 19:22.

Comment

security lapse

Originally posted by Jeff Brown View Post
                  I haven't connected the motion sensor or fuel cut-off to Chitty's tracker yet, when " I could zoom in a bit more but that's close enough for security reasons that you guy's will understand."

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12433[/ATTACH]

Then if you are worried about security leaving the full coordinates on display in the screen shot isnt going to help is it ?

Comment

security

I wouldnt want anyone to take a rise out of you. (Or you out of a rise )

Comment

That ebay thing isn't a Romahome, surely? It looks like a home made few sheets of wood tacked together with bent bits of aluminium round the edges. What on earth does someone think they are doing bidding £100 for it? I reckon you would get more pleasure from standing on the end of a pier and chucking £100 worth of £5 notes off the end. It would certainly be a lot less work and cheaper, and you would end up with the same result: after you have paid a scrappy an additional £100 to take the wreckage away you would still have nothing, but would be £100 better off.

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
                        That ebay thing isn't a Romahome, surely? It looks like a home made few sheets of wood tacked together with bent bits of aluminium round the edges. What on earth does someone think they are doing bidding £100 for it? I reckon you would get more pleasure from standing on the end of a pier and chucking £100 worth of £5 notes off the end. It would certainly be a lot less work and cheaper, and you would end up with the same result: after you have paid a scrappy an additional £100 to take the wreckage away you would still have nothing, but would be £100 better off.
                        The engine is worth at least that much and probably a bit more for someone in need and there would be at least a £100 worth of scrap metal left over if you have the means to transport it and weigh it in.
                        Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Chitty has finally had her re-spray, I'll pick it up tomorrow morning as it has to harden off before taking her out. That big line across the bonnet is a reflection, I'll get some better pictures out in the day light and show you tomorrow.

Comment

It's new. There is nothing more to be said!
                            But I bet someone says something anyway. Just decals need sticking on.

Actually a proper respray is better than new, the paint will be thicker.

Comment

What a great job, it looks fantastic.

Enjoy !

Comment

Brilliant. Absolutely Brilliant. Well done you

She is a thing of beauty and a joy to behold. Bet your wife is not still telling you you're mad and will never do it. (Or is she used to using reverse psychology on you?)

Comment