No announcement yet.

Chitty Chitty bang bang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did once make my own rust proofer. I mixed equal quantities of old engine oil, bituminous underseal and waxoyl. I heated it up on a gas heater so it went all runny, then it could be sprayed through a lance. I think you would have to heat waxoyl to spray it, particularly at this time of year it is a solid wax. On the other hand once the sunshine gets to it, it liquifies and runs out of any available orifice. I don't know of any better stuff though, other than the sprayed on plastic they use in the factory and that is not available to mere mortals like us. It is because of the runny drippy characteristic of hot waxoyl that I invented my mixture, hoping it would stay where it is put.
    Suggestion: if you want to spray it in the garage or driveway, just pop along to your nearest carpet shop, ask for a 15ft x 10ft bit of old carpet and I reckon they will be happy to give you some: then they wouldn't have to pay the disposal costs. Spray away, get the waxoyl on the carpet, then take the carpet to the tip. My garage is thus carpeted.
    In that day you will cry out because of your king you have chosen. 1 Samuel v18

Comment

We have asked for our new to us van to be waxoyled prior to pick up on the 7th. Original cost for a vehicle Romahome size is £200. We are swapping our clapped out car which probably would have had to be scraped as she is very dented, so it isn't actually costing us.

When they called to ask about the extended warranty I did remind them that I want it waxoyled and said I expect the mud that is collected round the wheelarches to have been cleaned off and got a very hesitant "yes!".

Perhaps the wheel arches aren't included since the habitation part is plastic but I do expect the cab wheels to be done. We'll see. Not sure how I'm going to check it anyway other than climbing underneath!!

Comment

That £200 sounds like a good price Sandra. It's a terribly mucky job, you wouldn't want to do it yourself. Check that they will spray it into the box sections, because that is where the plastic underseal the manufacturers use, is least likely to get. In fact they ought to steam clean it underneath first, if it is a used vehicle.
        I had it in my head that the going rate to waxoyl a Fiat Ducato was £500, which does include putting it on a ramp, the operator getting suited up in disposable kit, and spraying it everywhere underneath. The brake discs need to be shielded of course but there is nothing wrong with spraying the rubber suspension bushes and rubber brake hoses, they won't come to any harm from it.
        When you get it back it should smell quite strong, I seem to remember these people saying you shouldn't sleep in it until it has been ventilated for a few days. Taking it for a decent drive should help. You'll just have to say to yourself that it is a lovely smell.
        You won't have to climb underneath, just bend (or better still kneel) down and you can see up inside the wheel arches, and under the chassis as well. They might use black waxoyl so it would be obvious where it has been done. Waxoyl also comes in a beige colour so they might use that. It will add a lot more than the £200 to the resale value.
        Last edited by gasgas; 27-12-2016, 19:21.

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
          I did once make my own rust proofer. I mixed equal quantities of old engine oil, bituminous underseal and waxoyl. I heated it up on a gas heater so it went all runny, then it could be sprayed through a lance. I think you would have to heat waxoyl to spray it, particularly at this time of year it is a solid wax. On the other hand once the sunshine gets to it, it liquifies and runs out of any available orifice. I don't know of any better stuff though, other than the sprayed on plastic they use in the factory and that is not available to mere mortals like us. It is because of the runny drippy characteristic of hot waxoyl that I invented my mixture, hoping it would stay where it is put.
          Suggestion: if you want to spray it in the garage or driveway, just pop along to your nearest carpet shop, ask for a 15ft x 10ft bit of old carpet and I reckon they will be happy to give you some: then they wouldn't have to pay the disposal costs. Spray away, get the waxoyl on the carpet, then take the carpet to the tip. My garage is thus carpeted.
          Where I had chitty re-sprayed the guy had to put some of that waxoyl on the lower section of the sill, he just mixed a bit of thinners with it and connected it to his compressor and just sprayed away, no idea what thinners he used but made it spray able from a gun.
          "Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time"

Comment

Have to agree with gasgas regarding the cost of having it done in a garage. Tetroseal Wax Oil is around £30 a gallon, and to top that off, you have all the cleaning of the underside and then the application of the wax oil, got to be a couple of hours + work involved, if they do a proper job just check the front suspension springs and they should be done as well. According to Tetrolseals data specification it kills rust as well as preventing further rust so well worth doing.
            "Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time"

Comment

That £200 sounds like a good price Sandra. It's a terribly mucky job, you wouldn't want to do it yourself. Check that they will spray it into the box sections, because that is where the plastic underseal the manufacturers use, is least likely to get. In fact they ought to steam clean it underneath first, if it is a used vehicle.
              I had it in my head that the going rate to waxoyl a Fiat Ducato was £500, which does include putting it on a ramp, the operator getting suited up in disposable kit, and spraying it everywhere underneath. The brake discs need to be shielded of course but there is nothing wrong with spraying the rubber suspension bushes and rubber brake hoses, they won't come to any harm from it.
              When you get it back it should smell quite strong, I seem to remember these people saying you shouldn't sleep in it until it has been ventilated for a few days. Taking it for a decent drive should help. You'll just have to say to yourself that it is a lovely smell.
              You won't have to climb underneath, just bend (or better still kneel) down and you can see up inside the wheel arches, and under the chassis as well. They might use black waxoyl so it would be obvious where it has been done. Waxoyl also comes in a beige colour so they might use that. It will add a lot more than the £200 to the resale value.
              I am so not a trusting person!!!

I hope she stinks of waxoyl when we pick her up!!

Comment

Just curious - why is it a 'she'?
                Mine's an 'it.'

Comment

Mine's a 'he'....

Comment

Silly me. I've just realised why Sandra's is a she. She is covered (or will be!) in grease paint!

Reminds me of a famous Winston Churchill episode. Winston is at an evening dinnah with posh people.
                    Posh Woman: "Winston, you are DRUNK!!!"
                    Winston: "Yes madam, and you are UGLY. However, in the morning I will be sober. You however, will still be UGLY".
                    Last edited by gasgas; 28-12-2016, 11:45.

Comment

Just curious - why is it a 'she'?
                      Mine's an 'it.'
                      Lol because at this stage in her new life she's bound to be temperamental lol

Comment

Ooh err. Don't let her hear that, she'll have a hissy fit. Mind you, if she does blow a gasket, all you have to do is buy her a bunch of flowers and all will be well. Don't get her chocolates though. Even if they are meant as a goodwill gesture you will get told off. "I can't eat those, don't you know I am slimming?" (Specially with that big fat body she has got). Oops I shouldn't have insulted her, sorry.

The big advantage of running a car you have done a lot of work on is that you know where everything is, and are not afraid to dig in and have a go. I have spent a couple of years doing up two 'old' Mercedes, 1989 and 1992, so I reckon I can do most things to them. Having done a lot of things also it means you will tackle jobs that you might not have done otherwise. For instance I have no qualms about ripping out and working on a Fiat Ducato engine from the early '90s, but I am dead scared of this new computerised thing I have got now. I probably shouldn't be, but as it has taken me a full year to fail to work out how to add steering wheel controls, it makes me reluctant to do other jobs I should be capable of.

Comment

In the song there is no He (male) or Her (female) mentioned, but it does go "Oh Chitty You Chitty Pretty Chitty Bang Bang" whicn infers female, as I think it would be Hansom if it were Male.

Donk is a he, but i think the name sounds male anyway?

Comment

Ooh err. Don't let her hear that, she'll have a hissy fit. Mind you, if she does blow a gasket, all you have to do is buy her a bunch of flowers and all will be well. Don't get her chocolates though. Even if they are meant as a goodwill gesture you will get told off. "I can't eat those, don't you know I am slimming?" (Specially with that big fat body she has got). Oops I shouldn't have insulted her, sorry.

The big advantage of running a car you have done a lot of work on is that you know where everything is, and are not afraid to dig in and have a go. I have spent a couple of years doing up two 'old' Mercedes, 1989 and 1992, so I reckon I can do most things to them. Having done a lot of things also it means you will tackle jobs that you might not have done otherwise. For instance I have no qualms about ripping out and working on a Fiat Ducato engine from the early '90s, but I am dead scared of this new computerised thing I have got now. I probably shouldn't be, but as it has taken me a full year to fail to work out how to add steering wheel controls, it makes me reluctant to do other jobs I should be capable of.
                            Lol You sound like my father-in-law rest his soul, he was a flight mechanic on the Lancaster bombers during the war, when he left the services he worked for the local garage as a mechanic, I'd take my cars to him if anything was wrong and it never took him long to diagnose and fix the problem, trouble was that as time went buy and I took more modern cars along to him to fix it became harder and harder for him to pin point the fault and he was the first to admit that modern cars were getting the better of him. Now I love lifting the bonnet of chitty as her engine takes me back to the simple days when engines were basic and reliable, I lift the bonnet of my Vauxhall Insignia 2015 plate I take one look at it and check the oil and water like a boss then quickly shut the bonnet again lol

Comment

Originally posted by Donk's Dad View Post
                              In the song there is no He (male) or Her (female) mentioned, but it does go "Oh Chitty You Chitty Pretty Chitty Bang Bang" whicn infers female, as I think it would be Hansom if it were Male.

Donk is a he, but i think the name sounds male anyway?
                              I have to agree that Donk does sound like a man, reminds me of Paul Hogan in crocodile Dundee when his mate tells some guy who's holding a gun up to him he has his own Donk and out of the bushes walks this huge set guy. Just found the clip so you'll have to agree to keep the name Donk. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufDTDUPZrag

Comment

Its Short for Donkey As with the Work Firbreglass box or the demountable podhe does all the "donkey" Work.

I remember Donk from the film, also the part where a guy tries to rob him with a knife and Hogan say "call that a knife" and pulls out a bowie knife the size of a small machete ! Great films.

Comment