Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sills

Hi Jeff,
    I have new sills to fit to my 1997 HYLO. I was told by one bodyshop that the body would need to be removed in order to weld the new ones on. I was wondering if you had to do this and if not how did you fit the new sills. My bodyshop technician said he couldn't weld the sills on as it would set fire to the body. Can you help please?
    Regards
    Mike

Comment

Mike, if you go to the start of this thread and work forward you should come to the photos that Jeff posted and the explanation regarding the sills

Comment

Originally posted by wyliemg View Post
        Hi Jeff,
        I have new sills to fit to my 1997 HYLO. I was told by one bodyshop that the body would need to be removed in order to weld the new ones on. I was wondering if you had to do this and if not how did you fit the new sills. My bodyshop technician said he couldn't weld the sills on as it would set fire to the body. Can you help please?
        Regards
        Mike
        Hi Mike. No way does the body have to be removed. Trouble is a lot of garages haven't a clue about Romahome motor homes. One garage was so dumb about it he told me the sills had to have a continuous weld as they are part of the chassis, I asked him then why do the manufacturers spot weld them on and he couldn't answer me, he was also telling me that it needed to be welded to the camper van body, I loved asking him this bit? I said Wow!! so someone's invented a machine that will weld steel to fiberglass? he looked at me and said what do you mean, I tapped the body and said it's fiberglass and I best take my camper to someone who knows what they are talking about and not giving me BS to bump the price up.

Re- your body shop guy, sorry but he's another one who has no clue. The chassis is glued and riveted to the camper body so he has no reason to go anywhere near the body with his welder, the only time he is near it is at the bottom of the new sill he's nowhere near the top. If this dumbo here can do it and get it through an mot then it tells me again that someone doesn't either want to do the job or wants to bump the price up.
        "Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time"

Comment

Originally posted by SandraM View Post
          Mike, if you go to the start of this thread and work forward you should come to the photos that Jeff posted and the explanation regarding the sills
          I checked my photos Sandra and they seem to have all gone But I still have them on my computer if Mike would like to see them.
          "Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time"

Comment

my old sills being replaced with the new ones. One think I found Mike was further rust on the chassis, so make sure your new sills and the chassis is treated after any repairs.
            rusty hand (Medium).jpg WP_20160608_14_56_20_Pro (Medium).jpg

Comment

Name

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
              Just curious - why is it a 'she'?
              Mine's an 'it.'
              Mines a she its Bella Berlingo the wife chose this sounds ok to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Donk's Dad View Post
                I think your right "subtle" is the way to go/

Will look great
                I agree. I was looking at pvcs at Peterborough and the bright red ones look nice, but not so good if you consider the lack of camoulflage when parked up in a forest!
                The Cafe Creme (how on earth do you do accents?) looks fine on my Apple Mac. It would have to be different to white which would blend with the body colour.
                And congratulations on having a thread that is on eleven pages!
                Andrew
                If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. Mark ch3 v24

Comment

Originally posted by Donk's Dad View Post

Donk is a he, but i think the name sounds male anyway?
                  Donk sounds like the noise it makes when you hit a Cornish hedge, which is in fact made of granite.
                  If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. Mark ch3 v24

Comment