Chitty Chitty bang bang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
    Jeff- there are a great number of sealants that all look like bathroom silicone sealant but aren't. Generally the one to use on motorhomes and caravans is Sikaflex 512.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sikaflex-Ca.../dp/B0036KGDH0
    Cheers gasgas
    Shows how easy it is to be fooled like I was. Just had a look at you link and purchased a tube.

Thank you for the heads up and link it's very much appreciated.
    "Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time"

Comment

Update on Chitty's progress.

I finally got around to reinstalling her engine yesterday but it was getting late by the time I finished, went back to my daughters today and got everything ready and primed, turned the key and she didn't spin, nothing just a click, got my multimeter out to check the voltage at the starter motor and found I hadn't connected the ignition wire, turned the key again and she was turning over and over and I had primed the pump, turned and turned and nothing, now I'm getting worried but to be on the safe side this morning I called into Halfords and was mugged by them for the tune of £30 for a set of jump leads, I have a 12 month old Vauxhall Insignia eco, now an eco engine will have a bigger battery than normal, so on went the jump leads started my car up then jumped into chitty, 1st turn of the key she tried to fire and stuttered more than I was getting with chitty's battery, turned her 3 times more and chitty burst into life, I didn't rev her up like a boy racer but left her ticking over on her own, one tip I will give anyone is to replace the rocker cover before you let her run as my nice shiny red Insignia now looks like it has the chicken pox lol I left the rocker off because I pre oiled the cam and the lifters and she'd been in the engineering works and I wanted to make sure everything was moving as it should, my own fault that myself and my car have the chicken pox but they are happy chicken pox.
      You should have seen the smile on my face when she fire up, I was like a pig in the proverbial listening to an engine I'd stripped repaired and put back together, this was my very first diesel engine I've worked on and also my very first cam belt I've ever done, so a huge thumbs up goes to Haynes workshop manuals and Youtube that I spent a few hours viewing and not forgetting the guy's on this forum especially Ant.

Next step is to reinstall the drive shafts, oh and I have to replace the alternator and the power steering pump both of which I have spares of thanks to the guy who sold me chitty with a large amount of spares he'd salvaged off of a Citroen C15d van he's bought for spares.
      I checked the bonnet tonight and it does have slight rust on the internal side, so wire brushed all the rust and treated it with rust remover and I'll prime it tomorrow.
      I still have the wing to put back on yet and I noticed the near side wing has a very small amount of rust but can't really get to the nearside until I can move her out of the garage.
      Everything is looking good with chitty so far and even my wife admitted she thought I'd never get her running, that wiped that smug smirk off her face when she came into the garage when she heard it fire up, She did say b****y hell that's one noisy engine, until I reminded her that it has no rocker cover on, no air filter fitted and the bonnet is still off.

Will keep you updated on her progress and we'll see how far we get on her tomorrow.
      "Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time"

Comment

Good news indeed, thanks for keeping us updated!

Comment

Chuffed to anything as she was destined for the scrap heap because it was just taking up space on his driveway. Still got plenty to do on her but now the engine is in running and almost complete, it's given me a little bit more confidence to make things more a little more quickly.

Comment

I love threads like this, well done on having the skills, time and ability to bring a van back to life, can't wait to read more of your progress....

All the very best
            Andyvan

Comment

Cheers Andyvan

I made it my little project and learnt a lot along the way and no doubt I'll still be learning in the months to come. Really enjoyed it so far but there were times I felt a bit down about it but determination to prove the doubters wrong has always been the kick I needed. I will keep you guy's updated at each mile stone and can't wait for the day I put the before and after shots but that's a few months off yet I think. She went into the garage a wreck and should come out looking really good if my plans come together. Hence the name chitty chitty bang bang lol

Oh I almost forgot but while I was waiting for the head to come back I installed central locking, I was quoted £200 at a local garage and I thought £100 a door seems a bit steep but no doubt the labour played a big part in the price. I went onto fleabay and bought a 4 door central locking kit for under £17, installed it myself and saved a small fortune and it works a treat, I will be looking into a way of including the back door in the CL system and who knows I may even put electric windows in her.

WP_20160820_16_23_48_Pro (Medium).jpg
              Last edited by Jeff Brown; 03-09-2017, 23:05.

Comment

Well done Jeff, I know that feeling. And the one where you leave the rocker cover off.
                If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. Mark ch3 v24

Comment

lol I only wanted to see if everything was running as supposed to be.

Great news today, Chitty moved under her own steam today for the first time in around 3 years, I re-installed the drive shafts, connected the gear linkage and thought lets go for it, started it up and she fired with the first turn of the key, put her into gear and started to move very slowly because I knew the brakes wouldn't be to hot being stood that long but she edged forward so I pulled her out of the garage and turned her around facing the other way so I could work on the other side but a problem accrued to me that I wouldn't be able to shut the garage door with her facing the other way, I'll just have to drive her in and out as needed....
                  But by moving her it told me I had done the clutch and thrust bearings ok and it goes into gear ok.
                  Couple of Questions for anyone with the C15
                  Does the gear stick feel a bit sloppy on them? as this one does a little, not sure if there is adjustments I can do.
                  I know the brakes need a little work doing to make sure they are running free but are the brakes usually as stiff? or are they an optional extra lol

Comment

vacuum pump issues..jpg Hi guy's
                    Update on chitty, her engine is in and running as sweet as a nut, only problem I can see is that the brake servo vacuum pump pulley is rubbing against the belt so got to sort that little problem out. Went away for a few days and popped up to my daughters today and chitty started first turn of the key, no odd coloured smoke from her exhaust, so well pleased with that.
                    I took before pictures so when it was time to put everything back I had a reference to check with, only problem I had was I couldn't see where the other pipe from the brake vacuum pump went but with the help from you guys on here, that is now sorted.
                    Pulled her out of the garage today to check for rust on the near side, door had a fair bit of rust on it, the window fell down so within 30 minutes I had a replacement door on a tiny bit of rust on the replacement door but a bit of body filler will sort that out. The sill is rusty with a small hole that I made with a small panel beating hammer and the lip that runs the length of the sill needs a foot long new piece welded in but salvaged a large piece from the off side sill, I haven't removed the near side wing yet to see if any rust under there but will check this tomorrow, so a little more welding to do and all the rust holes will have been replaced with good metal, treated and painted.

Other problems I've found is, off side front and rear side lights along with the number plate light not working, wiper not working and heater blower not working. Had the multimeter on the fuses today and one fuse was blown and another with silver paper around it replaced them both, the one with silver paper was happy with a new fuse but the blown fuse blew again, supply reaching the fuse ok but definitely a short somewhere so more investigation needed and if I have to then I will rewire the bad sections but trying to avoid this.

Spoke to the guy who sold her to me and he said everything was working fine apart from the heater blower was playing up, I suspect it's because of that large hole behind the bulkhead letting in all the water right above the heater blower, so I'll be looking for a replacement blower soon.

Central locking completed today and checked the space and I think I may just have enough room to convert it for electric windows but that's a later Job but kit is on it's way.

Back tomorrow and I'll be doing the main job which is the nearside welding, so fingers crossed it's only that small hole and the small lip I found today but you can never tell until you start removing all the previous underseal.

Will keep you updated.
                    Last edited by Jeff Brown; 28-08-2017, 12:20.

Comment

Which kit are you buying for the windows?
                      Let us know how it goes fitting them.

Comment

Just seen your questions on the brakes and gear change.
                        Brakes are non existent normally.
                        Check the vacuum pump actually does anything, mine was within tolerance, check the servo, mine was good, check the back brake compensator, mine was set so badly it never actually did anything with the back brakes.
                        After an adjustment to the linkage, I can actually stop now.

The gear change is good though, mine is precise, so I've not got my hands dirty on that.
                        I don't think there is any adjustments, it's just the normal ball and socket type linkages from looking under mine..

Comment

Don't know how I've managed to miss this thread for a whole month, but I have. Mind you, I've been up to my ears in it with the Talbot MOT. and I've been so involved with other stuff that I haven't done a stroke on the '48 Wolseley since March. (And I'd hoped to have that on the road ready for last weekend).
                          I use an electric arc welder for most stuff. I also have a gas welding set, but I have never been able to get much sense out of mig. Everyone tells me it's dead easy and they can't see how I can weld thin metal with the stick welder, but I just get wire sticking in the nozzle with mig.
                          That's all in the past now anyway. I've developed a problem with one eye, and I find that I can't focus when I have a welding mask on, so that means I can't weld and I've just had to pay for someone else to do the work I should have been able to do myself. That really hurts.
                          You are doing a good job there and now that I've found the thread, I'll be watching for future reports.
                          Hope to see it wearing the roads out soon.

Comment

It's lovely to see an old vehicle brought back from the dead. Keep up the good work, look forward to seeing it at some time on the road.

Maybe someone will do the same for Panda's Henrietta!

Comment

Originally posted by Traveller26 View Post
                              Which kit are you buying for the windows?
                              Let us know how it goes fitting them.
                              This is the kit I bought.
                              http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2221708822...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

See photo for the ideal place to fit the electric window kit, took photo during installation today and tested it before fitting and it works a treat, only half done the passenger side as started it quite late, the panel fits back on perfect there are blanking plates to cover the old winder and you can fit the up/down switch wherever you want, thought of putting it through the winder hole if I made it a little larger but then thought it best I don't as the winder is spinning during operation so will make a separate hole and use the blanking plugs to cover the winder but very little on display when panel back on.. need a new drill bit as broke mine drilling the last hole for holding onto the winder.

Comment

Originally posted by MYKE View Post
                                Don't know how I've managed to miss this thread for a whole month, but I have. Mind you, I've been up to my ears in it with the Talbot MOT. and I've been so involved with other stuff that I haven't done a stroke on the '48 Wolseley since March. (And I'd hoped to have that on the road ready for last weekend).
                                I use an electric arc welder for most stuff. I also have a gas welding set, but I have never been able to get much sense out of mig. Everyone tells me it's dead easy and they can't see how I can weld thin metal with the stick welder, but I just get wire sticking in the nozzle with mig.
                                That's all in the past now anyway. I've developed a problem with one eye, and I find that I can't focus when I have a welding mask on, so that means I can't weld and I've just had to pay for someone else to do the work I should have been able to do myself. That really hurts.
                                You are doing a good job there and now that I've found the thread, I'll be watching for future reports.
                                Hope to see it wearing the roads out soon.
                                Thanks Myke

Nice to see someone else keeping the old vehicles on the road, first little project like this I have ever undertaken and to be honest I'm loving it, a few cuss words come out now and again but sitting down having a cuppa soon gets me thinking of another way around something or just get on with it.
                                I did try welding the old panel I removed when I brought it home but I did only manage to burn holes through it and that was set to my lowest amps, I've used a mig welder in the past and got on well with it and it's served me well so far and probably saved me a small fortune, still got a little more welding to do on the nearside yet but may be tacking that tomorrow. will keep you all posted on how it's going.

Comment