Chitty Chitty bang bang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caz View Post
    It's lovely to see an old vehicle brought back from the dead. Keep up the good work, look forward to seeing it at some time on the road.

Maybe someone will do the same for Panda's Henrietta!
    Dead being the operative word here Caz lol my wife thought I was nuts but she also knows that if I set my mind to something and no matter how long it takes, I will do it.
    She's coming around slowly now because she was in there today cleaning the upholstery and carpets, which tells me she knows I'm serious about getting chitty on the road.
    "Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time"

Comment

Thank you everyone for your positive comments it really does help.

Anyway update on the work I've done today.

As I posted I had trouble with the lights, wiper and heater blower, took my trust digital meter with me today and set about finding the faults, spent a couple of hours testing this and that and I could find no fault, I then decided to do a continuity test between the fuse (fuse removed and battery disconnected) My problem was the off side front and rear side lights not working, anyway I connected the meter to the fuse and went to the o/s side light and staring me in the face was a small piece of welding wire, I'd done some welding and the wire had popped through the car body were I welded the new plate and stuck to the plate and one of the terminals of the side light, removed offending wire and hey presto lights working again now I then moved onto the wiper that wasn't working and spent 1.5hrs tracing and checking all the wiring from fuse, switches and motor but everything was as it should be, I then decided to take out the motor but before I completely removed it I had to remove the linkage, plenty of WD40 removed the linkage and thought I'd give the motor a try while it was still in, hey presto the motor was working on intermittent and the 2 other speeds, so no wiring problem just the linkage seized due to the length of time she'd been standing. now I have lights and a wiper fully working. I think the heater motor is going to be a different kettle of fish as it sits directly below a large hole I found in the bulk head so I'm guessing it was drowned on plenty of occasions.

I thought I'd show you the extent of neglect that she had during the previous owners ownership, the oil was a colour I'd never seen before and take a look of this for an air filter, you'd expect an oil filter to be this colour not your air filter.
      "Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time"

Comment

Oh my! Just look at that!

I really admire anyone who can fix these things themselves. It's an amazing project and I'm following this thread with interest.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
          Oh my! Just look at that!

I really admire anyone who can fix these things themselves. It's an amazing project and I'm following this thread with interest.
          Thank you Jay, I'm self taught but thank heavens for the Haynes workshop manuals. Chitty is the very first diesel I've ever worked on and she is the very first cambelt I've ever changed.
          Off up to my daughters now to do some welding on her today and this should be the final lot of welding that is needed.
          will keep you all posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Brown View Post
            Off up to my daughters now to do some welding on her today and this should be the final lot of welding that is needed.
            will keep you all posted.
            Amusing mistype there Jeff.
            Is she an 'Iron Maiden'? Only joking.
            I agree with you about those user manuals.
            I'd be lost without mine.

Cheers
            Bernard.
            A barrel organs life is one long grind?

Comment

Originally posted by Organ Grinder View Post
              Amusing mistype there Jeff.
              Is she an 'Iron Maiden'? Only joking.
              I agree with you about those user manuals.
              I'd be lost without mine.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]11702[/ATTACH]

Cheers
              Bernard.
              lol Not sure my daughter would appreciate me welding her to the camper lol

I'd be more than happy to jump in the cockpit of that baby when you get her restored.
              Last edited by Jeff Brown; 20-08-2016, 20:13.

Comment

WP_20160825_15_24_33_Pro (Medium).jpg Well it's amazing what can be hidden from the eye by underseal. I took the grinder with the wire brush attached to chitty's other Sill today, I knew there was a little rust and a small hole that I thought I could patch up but once that wire brush had finished it's job, I'm afraid it's another new sill on the nearside, but I'm happy to do it because then I'll know it will have 2 new sills and not a patch job on the other side, there is still plenty of meat on the N/S sill. I've treated all the metal with rust killer and I'm not sure if I should just weld the new sill over the old one or should I just remove the old one completely? I checked through any holes to make sure the chassis is ok and pleased to say it's all fine.

Run the cable harnesses today from one door to the other to operate the central locking and the electric windows. Posted a photo of where I've fitted the electric windows and below is a photo on where I have installed the central locking, both positions of the windows and the locking systems are after a lot of moving around and testing for free movement of windows for non fouling. also a shot of the rust on the N/S before I set to with the wire brush.

rusty sill off side.jpg
                Last edited by Jeff Brown; 03-09-2017, 23:19.

Comment

Chop all the rust out before welding new. The trade make a fortune welding patches over the top of rust which only last until the next MOT. I always chop the rot right out, if necessary cutting a complete new panel to fit the hole, which means there is still good metal to work with next time round without eating into the next panel.

I have found as many as five patches welded one on top of the other just to get through an MOT for one more year. When I have done a welding job I expect it to last for at least ten years before needing further attention.

Rust is oxygen which is absorbed into the metal and it can only be removed by cutting it out or burning it. A fresh weld is clean and rust free, but it will start absorbing oxygen immediately, and you will see rust starting to re-form within 24 hours unless treated or painted.

Oxygen is actually a horrible corrosive. We need to breath it, but it is responsible for our bodies falling apart as we get older.

Pity we can't do without it.

Comment

Advice will be taken Myke
                    I really don't want to be welding more patches in next year for it's mot. I did a complete removal on the other side so I may as well do the job properly. I ordered a new sill last night from coastal motorhomes on fleabay, I got my last one from them and it's actually called a Repair Panel http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2817262824...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT and not reading it properly last time I thought it was a replacement sill only when I fitted it, it fell 2 inches short of a full panel so I had to weld in a 2 inch patch. This time I'll cut out all the rust and weld this directly on top of what's left. I have a panel Joggler and hole punch tool, I use the hole punch to punch in holes to weld through, I also use weld through primer so I know it's been treated it's a little expensive but it gives me piece of mind.

Comment

That's the way to do it.

Comment

Chitty's engine running sweet but having some issues with the brake vacuum pump as it's binding on the steering pump belt and cutting into the hose. All original bolts refitted. Asked Ant so waiting his reply. Very little in the Haynes workshop manual about it especially the double pulley type. could have done with a few close up shots of the way it's fitted and it seems to be only able to go back one way. Pulley seems a little out of alignment and no bent brackets, has to be something I've done or at least I hope it is...

vacuum pump issues..jpg

Last edited by Jeff Brown; 03-09-2017, 23:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Brown View Post
                          Chitty's engine running sweet but having some issues with the brake vacuum pump as it's binding on the steering pump belt and cutting into the hose. All original bolts refitted. Asked Ant so waiting his reply. Very little in the Haynes workshop manual about it especially the double pulley type. could have done with a few close up shots of the way it's fitted and it seems to be only able to go back one way. Pulley seems a little out of alignment and no bent brackets, has to be something I've done or at least I hope it is...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11737[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11738[/ATTACH]
                          Oh, I do love these kind of threads!

Not familiar with this engine, but (and it may just be the angle of the pic) the belt with the groove looks as though it could fit on the other pulley, or could the pulley be fitted the other way round on it's shaft?... but probably trying to teach my granny to suck eggs! ....... Does the bracket on the left have anything to do with it? If so, would a spacer lift the vacuum pump sufficiently? Is there any adjustment on the vacuum pump brackets to help with alignment, washers etc.?....... mind you, you obviously know what you are doing, so I don't want to appear condescending in any way:blank:
                          A bad day fishing is infinitely better than a good day at work.

Comment

You are certainly not condescending Les any help or hints I can pick up the better. Very first diesel engine I've ever worked on especially with a pulley system Ant suggested the pulley could be the wrong way around and this is quit possible because I just removed them from the broken camshaft and bolted it on the new one, so my fingers are crossed that this is possibly the answer.

Bracket on left is nothing to do with it, so I can cross that off my list.
                            Believe it or not but the mounting bracket for the pump is a double jointed one so plenty of manoeuvre in it for up/down movement. I spent a fair amount of time on it yesterday trying different things even removing it and trying it on the bracket that is fitted to the inlet manifold but that is definitely a no no. There is no way I have any adjustment for left or right movement.

Comment

Presuming that changing the top pulley around cures the alignment, I'd be tempted to fit the vacuum pump without a belt and appropriately clear of everything and run a piece of something around the pulleys, measure it and get a generic belt of similar length. I've done similar in the past and unipart stock a variety of sizes. We tend to get preoccupied with fitting designated parts and often forget that manufacturers often use standard sizes.
                              Last edited by Les Barbeux; 23-08-2016, 17:54.
                              A bad day fishing is infinitely better than a good day at work.

Comment

great reading..you have some very useful skills...I suspect your wife will be well pleased when you get it going..hard to beat the c15 from habitation side for a couple. She'll love it..especially if you do cooking AND washing up. (I can get my partner to do washing up but not the cooking unlessit is fish/seafood he has caught or obtained one way or another. ) Stick a nice bottle of wine in fridge.....few easy heated up meals...recommend a duvet underneath for extra comfort and duvets or sleeping bags on top...set off for a romantic weekend😁

Comment