Chitty Chitty bang bang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Les Barbeux View Post
    Presuming that changing the top pulley around cures the alignment, I'd be tempted to fit the vacuum pump without a belt and appropriately clear of everything and run a piece of something around the pulleys, measure it and get a generic belt of similar length. I've done similar in the past and unipart stock a variety of sizes. We tend to get preoccupied with fitting designated parts and often forget that manufacturers often use standard sizes.
    Do you know what Les? I was thinking of something very similar along the grounds of getting it to fit/align and putting one of those emergency fan bets you can buy and cut them yourself to length, then go along from there. Now you got me thinking of getting one anyway and just use it to measure then go on the hunt for the size to fit.
    "Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time"

Comment

Originally posted by cedas View Post
      great reading..you have some very useful skills...I suspect your wife will be well pleased when you get it going..hard to beat the c15 from habitation side for a couple. She'll love it..especially if you do cooking AND washing up. (I can get my partner to do washing up but not the cooking unlessit is fish/seafood he has caught or obtained one way or another. ) Stick a nice bottle of wine in fridge.....few easy heated up meals...recommend a duvet underneath for extra comfort and duvets or sleeping bags on top...set off for a romantic weekend��
      I know she is so looking forward to getting away in her, she asked me the other day, where are we going on our very first trip, I replied the very nearest laybye from our home lol
      I don't think my wife will let me anywhere near the cooker either, if she doesn't want to cook then I'm sure we can find somewhere nice to eat or fish 'n' chips in the wrapper sounds good. I don't mind washing up because I do it at home now lol

She was looking the other day at something to put down to sleep on, you can buy that memory foam stuff about an inch thick, you can roll them up tightly for storage.

As for the romantic weekend? I think a nice cuppa and fish 'n' chips is my limit lol
      "Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Brown View Post
        I know she is so looking forward to getting away in her, she asked me the other day, where are we going on our very first trip, I replied the very nearest laybye from our home lol
        I don't think my wife will let me anywhere near the cooker either, if she doesn't want to cook then I'm sure we can find somewhere nice to eat or fish 'n' chips in the wrapper sounds good. I don't mind washing up because I do it at home now lol

She was looking the other day at something to put down to sleep on, you can buy that memory foam stuff about an inch thick, you can roll them up tightly for storage.

As for the romantic weekend? I think a nice cuppa and fish 'n' chips is my limit lol

For sleeping on, I can't recommend Duvalay highly enough. If you haven't seen them they are basically two bags sewn together down one side and across the bottom with memory foam in the bottom and a duvet in the larger top one. They aren't cheap (but what price do you put on a good nights sleep?) but they really are the bees knees... warm, comfy and very easy to get in and out of unlike a traditional sleeping bag.... you don't get that "hemmed in feeling" either. The 2.5cm rolls up small enough to squeeze into a Romahome locker, we've got two and they are without doubt our best addition...... they are a serious bit of kit. http://www.duvalay.co.uk/
        A bad day fishing is infinitely better than a good day at work.

Comment

Don't forget that V belts grip on the sides of the pulley. You need a space at the bottom of the groove or the belt will slip so buy a new belt which is easy to fit over the rim rather than hard work.

Comment

I cheated.
            On my new motorhome I spent three days underneath Waxoyling everything, twice, and a waterproof grease on everything that I know from experience gets corroded - all the electrical connectors, brake hose ends, brake pipes, handbrake cables, exhaust mounting brackets, light bulbs, shock absorbers, track rod threads. I removed all the road wheels which they don't paint very well and painted a couple of coats on them.
            So someone in fifteen years time will just look underneath and say 'Well, there's no work to be done under there, I'll buy it'.

Actually if you can, after you have done all that welding new bits in, spray warmed-up Waxoyl into the box sections. Preferably not in your drive, you don't want that rustproofed.
            In that day you will cry out because of your king you have chosen. 1 Samuel v18

Comment

Originally posted by Les Barbeux View Post
              For sleeping on, I can't recommend Duvalay highly enough. If you haven't seen them they are basically two bags sewn together down one side and across the bottom with memory foam in the bottom and a duvet in the larger top one. They aren't cheap (but what price do you put on a good nights sleep?) but they really are the bees knees... warm, comfy and very easy to get in and out of unlike a traditional sleeping bag.... you don't get that "hemmed in feeling" either. The 2.5cm rolls up small enough to squeeze into a Romahome locker, we've got two and they are without doubt our best addition...... they are a serious bit of kit. http://www.duvalay.co.uk/
              Thanks Les, when the boss gets home I'll ask her what she thinks. Like you say you can't put a price on a good nights sleep and I don't fancy her tossing and turning all night and get the "I don't like this camper feeling on the first couple of nights away.

Comment

Originally posted by MYKE View Post
                Don't forget that V belts grip on the sides of the pulley. You need a space at the bottom of the groove or the belt will slip so buy a new belt which is easy to fit over the rim rather than hard work.
                Thanks Myke
                Bit concerned about the belts, although I gave my registration over the guy behind the counter said there was 3 belts for this model and the one I have does seem a little on the large size. I have no old one to compare it with and the manual doesn't help.

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
                  I cheated.
                  On my new motorhome I spent three days underneath Waxoyling everything, twice, and a waterproof grease on everything that I know from experience gets corroded - all the electrical connectors, brake hose ends, brake pipes, handbrake cables, exhaust mounting brackets, light bulbs, shock absorbers, track rod threads. I removed all the road wheels which they don't paint very well and painted a couple of coats on them.
                  So someone in fifteen years time will just look underneath and say 'Well, there's no work to be done under there, I'll buy it'.

Actually if you can, after you have done all that welding new bits in, spray warmed-up Waxoyl into the box sections. Preferably not in your drive, you don't want that rustproofed.
                  I may actually do this but I think I'll need those extra days for wire brushing things like the back springs and other parts, had a quick look and they do seem rusty so may well be worth the time cleaning and then waxoyling everything under there.

Comment

Chitty's new n/s sill arrived this afternoon along with the day time running lights and module kit. The module will make everything legal with switching them on/off automatically as the law states. They look simple enough to fit.
                    The kit can wait until I get the time but off up to my daughters tomorrow to fit the new sill and to take a look at the pulley, keeping my fingers crossed that I fitted it the wrong way around because if I have then a quick turn around of said pulley and the vacuum belt may line up properly.
                    Will post some pictures of the new sill fitted tomorrow.

WP_20160425_14_08_22_Pro__highres (Medium).jpg
                    Last edited by Jeff Brown; 03-09-2017, 23:30.

Comment

Regards Duvalays, I seem to remember that they claimed they were the first ones to make such a thing. My Chausson motorhome in 2003 had one as standard in its fold-down bed. In my 'ever'so'umble opinion they are extremely overpriced. If I were looking for comfort nowadays I would go to Ikea. They do a huge range of mattresses, in many thicknesses and sizes, both in imperial and metric. If you can't get exactly the size you want, choose one of their mattresses with a zip cover, undo the zip and cut the foam to the shape you want. I doubt you will pay more than £90 for a superbly comfortable middle-of-the-range double mattress, they do them cheaper than that if you want.
                      In that day you will cry out because of your king you have chosen. 1 Samuel v18

Comment

I'm more worried the wife will get a good nights sleep, I can sleep any where, I'd even use my old military bed roll, slept on rocks and allsorts of uneven ground with that thing and it never let me down.

Comment

hole in chassis near side.jpg Update on Chitty

See picture WP_20160421_16_50_15_Pro[1] (Medium).jpg .
                          Had the wire brush on the grinder and found more than one small hole. I knew I would have to replace the sill and bought a new one. Got to my daughters a little late today so didn't have time to complete the job.
                          Changed the wire brush wheel over to the cutting disk and began to cut the old sill out back to good metal, finally chopped the bad out and notice that on rear section the same as the other side, I am going to have to cut out some of the chassis and weld some new plate in there, no big deal but then I discovered even more rust on the front of chitty, took the nearside wing off and again the same as the other side welding is needed but not as much as the O/S also along the front just below the bumper and a section just at the back of the head light. So a bit more welding to do yet, Just pleased I bought my own welder and not relying on someone else to come in and do the job for me, would be costing me a small fortune if I did it that way.

Got to remove the front bumper now and give it a good inspection in that area and repair anything else I may come across but she's not going to beat me I'm still very determined to get her through an MOT and back on the road where she belongs and not on some scrap heap.
                          Getting there slowly but I'm getting there.
                          Last edited by Jeff Brown; 03-09-2017, 23:33.

Comment

pdate on Chitty

See pictures below.
                            Had the wire brush on the grinder and found more than one small hole. I knew I would have to replace the sill and bought a new one. Got to my daughters a little late today so didn't have time to complete the job.
                            Changed the wire brush wheel over to the cutting disk and began to cut the old sill out back to good metal, finally chopped the bad out and notice that on rear section the same as the other side, I am going to have to cut out some of the chassis and weld some new plate in there, no big deal but then I discovered even more rust on the front of chitty, took the nearside wing off and again the same as the other side welding is needed but not as much as the O/S also along the front just below the bumper and a section just at the back of the head light. So a bit more welding to do yet, Just pleased I bought my own welder and not relying on someone else to come in and do the job for me, would be costing me a small fortune if I did it that way.

Got to remove the front bumper now and give it a good inspection in that area and repair anything else I may come across but she's not going to beat me I'm still very determined to get her through an MOT and back on the road where she belongs and not on some scrap heap.
                            Getting there slowly but I'm getting there.
                            Would help if I posted the pictures.

The dark sections you see on the chassis feels like it's grease, it isn't rust.
                            Last edited by Jeff Brown; 25-08-2016, 21:03.

Comment

I'm more worried the wife will get a good nights sleep, I can sleep any where, I'd even use my old military bed roll, slept on rocks and allsorts of uneven ground with that thing and it never let me down.
                              what are the seat cushions like? I can honestly say that I sleep very well in my van - and I am female of a certain age...:-) ie well over retirement age and like my comfort. I simply use an old 4.5 tog duvet on top of the seat cushions - which in my van are pretty firm...then depending on time of year - duvet or sleeping bag. The only times I don't sleep well are when not on my own and partner takes up 3/4 of bed -- but then he does that at home too.

Comment

They are in excellent condition but they are firm, I'll be able to sleep on them no problem but the wife can take an extra duvet and sleep on that the first couple of times, I have my old military bed rolls and happy to sleep on them.

Comment