X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Graham View Post
    Great job Jeff, well done.
    Thank you Graham, can't wait to get out in it now
    "Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time"

Comment

Years ago it was quite common to see vehicles with a "discs" motif on the rear. Suggesting that the vehicle can stop more quickly.
      What a load of rubbish!!
      Drum brakes are capable of just as much retardation as discs! The actual braking limit for both types adequate for the vehicle IS THE TYRE GRIP ON THE ROAD.
      The main disadvantage with drums is that they are less well ventilated than discs. Thus more easily overheated on long descents as in mountainish country.
      Probably the best brakes for an emergency stop I ever experienced were on a drum braked "sit up and beg" Ford Popular which would have benefitted with an (unheard of then) anti-wheel locking system. And that had ROD BRAKES!!
      Disc braked systems almost invariably need a servo to increase pedal generated pressure whereas drums with "leading shoes" have a "self servo action" which makes for a far superior parking brake too.
      If a disc brake system lacks "bite" the servo could be faulty, or of a too low boost rating.
      Jim.
      Last edited by Twolitre; 12-11-2016, 10:12.
      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

The FX3 London Taxi and FL3, the saloon derivative also had rod brakes. They had about a hundred clevis pin joints between the pedal and the brake, and with a small amount of wear in each pin, the brakes were very hard to get right. I suppose nowadays I would drill out the holes in the linkages and fit new pins to match, but when I had one all I could do was adjust the brakes on each wheel till they were just about binding, then the pedal would go hard just before it hit the floor. The theory of discs was that they were less prone to locking up than drums.
        Blessed are those who find wisdom, those who gain understanding. Proverbs 3

Comment

"One thing I am desperate for and cannot get hold of is a bonnet release cable, so if anyone has a spare one or know where I can purchase one, then I'm all ears....."

http://www.venhill.co.uk/Hoses_&_Cab.../Custom_Cables

Send them a sketch of what you want and they will do it.

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
            The FX3 London Taxi and FL3, the saloon derivative also had rod brakes. They had about a hundred clevis pin joints between the pedal and the brake, and with a small amount of wear in each pin, the brakes were very hard to get right. I suppose nowadays I would drill out the holes in the linkages and fit new pins to match, but when I had one all I could do was adjust the brakes on each wheel till they were just about binding, then the pedal would go hard just before it hit the floor. The theory of discs was that they were less prone to locking up than drums.
            The "saloon derivative" of the FX3 was /is "FL1 Metropolitan Hire Car", not FL3.
            It says so on the original "log book" of the one STANDING IN MY GARAGE NOW! It is also technically a "limousine" not a saloon because of the sliding interior division between driver and front passenger and those in the rear. It is that glass panel which defines it as a Limousine.
            I was responsible for maintenance of about ten of these in the late fifties and early sixties along with a matching hearse on a petrol FX3 chassis (very similar to the one in Heartbeat on TV).
            As these FL1s operated daily with up to seven passengers and drivers in and around the very hilly Peak District, we became very adept caring for the Girling rod brakes including the mechanical twin leading shoe system in the front brakes. The biggest problem which worried us was the lack of braking on full steering lock caused by the acute angles between rods and expanders.
            Jim.
            Last edited by Twolitre; 12-11-2016, 11:01.

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
              "One thing I am desperate for and cannot get hold of is a bonnet release cable, so if anyone has a spare one or know where I can purchase one, then I'm all ears....."

http://www.venhill.co.uk/Hoses_&_Cab.../Custom_Cables

Send them a sketch of what you want and they will do it.
              Thanks for the link gasgas I did actually go around a cycle shop, got some cable and made up a botch up job of a cable, this is working ok but I'm after a cable with the proper knob on the end so not sure the company on your link will be able to make up what I want, unless you can tell me different??
              "Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time"

Comment

I don't know Jeff, all you can do is ask. That reminds me of the last 'proper' Morris Minor that was built. After they had stopped production a little old man went into the Morris dealer in Swindon and wanted to buy a new one.
                'Sorry sir, they are not made any more and there are none left in the country. Take a look at the lovely Marina'.
                No thanks, I don't like that I want a Morris Minor. New.
                Sorry sir we can't supply one.
                Well you are the official dealer for Swindon, you can buy all the parts and build me one then.
                Ooh I dunno, that would be mightily expensive, even if we could do it.
                I don't care about the cost, can you build me one?

So they sat down and pondered the possibility. Little old man paid over £1000 deposit, somewhat more than the cost of a new Marina, and signed to say he would pay whatever it cost. The dealer got on with the build that took something like 4 months to source all the parts. It was eventually completed and there was a big newspaper story about it. The dealer said that as the customer wanted everything brand new, they could not get anything from a scrap yard, no matter what. The most difficult thing they had to source was a bonnet pull. It was a bent piece of thick wire, and of course there would never be any demand for that as a spare part - it would never break or wear out. They could have easily got one from a scrap yard, but it wouldn't be new would it? The little old man paid about £1000 a month to the dealer for their work and ended up paying four times the cost of a Marina for his Minor.

Comment

lol Cracking story gasgas but I don't think I'll be following in his footsteps somehow lol I'm thinking that even if I can't get one from a scrappy then I may just do a modification and have one on the side of the passenger foot well but something to look into me thinks.

Comment

quite simply Amazing.

Comment

there are still lots of c15s on the road in France and Spain ...you need someone to visit a scrap yard over there. family member got me an indicator cover (the yellow plastic) from spain for a couple of euros

Comment

I know the Berlingo was produced at the Citroen plant in Vigo (NW) Spain and I'm pretty sure that the C15 was too. I have a friend who lives there and there are still loads of C15's in the region. I notice every time I visit.
                        Am enjoying the restoration updates no end..... It's great to see an old'un brought back to use.

ATB
                        Andyvan

Comment

What you have to remember is that the braking system is designed for a van with an average load in it. By the time you have fitted a motorhome pod on it, it's getting pretty close to its maximum design weight, and once you've loaded all your bits and pieces I would be surprised if the average small motorhome is still within its legal weight limit. No wonder the brakes are not as good as you would expect.

The trick when descending a steep hill is to use third gear (Which gives you a certain amount of engine braking) and don't go too fast. If the speed builds up to about thirty two, stab the brake pedal until it gets down to about twenty five or so, then get your foot off the brakes and let the engine do the job until the speed builds up again. That way, your brakes don't over heat.

Norton motorbikes were fitted with a big fairing which covered all the front and provided good streamlining during the fifties for the TT races. They were called "Dustbin fairings". Brilliant idea. Except that it cut off the cooling air to the front brake, so they overheated and didn't work. That's when they discovered that brakes work by converting the energy of the moving vehicle into heat, and then get rid of the heat by cooling.

That is why discs work better than drums - they cool down quicker, and drilling holes in the discs increases the surface area, so it helps with cooling. The "Dustbin" only lasted for one season, and it was replaced by the "Dolphin" fairing which left the front wheel exposed and is still in use today.

Comment

update:-

Popped into the re-spray shop yesterday and having a chat with the guy Gary, he's done a fair bit of work on my daughters car in the past so I know he does a good job and I've got to know him well over the past 18 months. I don't really fancy doing the paint job myself in a small domestic garage that is cold and damp. He gave me a price for the full re-spray and a price for the paint, I was more than happy with the price so paid him for the paint there and then, Chitty will be fully re-sprayed within a couple of weeks, this is the earliest he can fit me in. I did get the paint at a discount price from the supplier via the spray shop because I'm using off the shelf factory paint, not Citroen paint but fords diamond white 2k pack and I can have some when he's finished because I'll be re-spraying inside doors and pillars myself but doing this when it warms up a little more and I can take it out of the garage.

Had a couple of drives in her, not to far just enough for me to get the feel of her behaviour, getting used to those brakes now. I've learnt not to jump out of my car and straight into chitty, my cars brakes stop on a sixpence but chitty needs at least 2 football fields to stop in the same distance, well it feels like it anyway lol....

Chitty now has central locking, electric windows, built in sat-nav that also boasts a small built in remote control TV that I can add the extra monitor too, DVD/CD player......One thing I've notice and really hate about chitty is when I was installing the radio I had to wire the main wire to the battery but wired it to the cigarette lighter instead as that's live with no ignition on, then a smaller cable directly to the accessory switch of the ignition, all well and good having it wired to the ignition but when the accessory switch it on then so is just about every other dashboard light you can think of, not good at all for battery drain if you want to sit in a car park with the radio on or on site trying to watch the TV, I've just purchased a double pole double throw 12v switch and I'll be wiring it so when on site I can flick the switch and the radio will draw its power from my auxiliary battery instead of chitty's battery. Might even re-wire that accessory wire so no ignition required, I'll just have to remember to turn off the radio before getting out. What an awful design by Citroen.

We were going away in her next week but although not cancelled more governed by the weather as we have yet again suffered flooding in the area and where I wanted our first trip to be. Still it gives me more time to continue putting some more final touches to chitty.

Oh and that bonnet release cable I've bodged up and had to raise the locking mechanism of the bonnet because it was far to tight for a cable release. Although not 100% to my liking, I do now at least have a release cable.
                            Last edited by Jeff Brown; 23-11-2016, 19:59.

Comment

I suppose that modern brakes and driving tuition are usually a far cry from the days of yore.
                              I was taut to use my gears and engine for slowing down in most cases without the brakes. In fact a professional driving instructor as a passenger in my taxi criticised me for it and asked how often I had been shunted when slowing down with no brake lights showing (the answer has to be never!).
                              In fact, cruising down the 1 in 10 main road hill near my house in third gear, I get a smug feeling when every vehicle in front has its brake lights on (for a good half mile) because I know they will need several sets of brake discs to my one (disc pads only about once every 5 to 10 years and usually for some reason usually difficult to remove for replacement).
                              Jim.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
                                I suppose that modern brakes and driving tuition are usually a far cry from the days of yore.
                                I was taut to use my gears and engine for slowing down in most cases without the brakes. In fact a professional driving instructor as a passenger in my taxi criticised me for it and asked how often I had been shunted when slowing down with no brake lights showing (the answer has to be never!).
                                In fact, cruising down the 1 in 10 main road hill near my house in third gear, I get a smug feeling when every vehicle in front has its brake lights on (for a good half mile) because I know they will need several sets of brake discs to my one (disc pads only about once every 5 to 10 years and usually for some reason usually difficult to remove for replacement).
                                Jim.
                                Spot on Twolitre
                                Mine was Military training, went on to do escape and evasion course to protect VIP's. There is a steep hill when I go to my daughters house and like you I use my gear box and I'm often surprised to see professional lorry drivers with brake lights on all the way down, it's a good job the hill isn't steeper and longer or brake fade may result. Unfortunately in todays road users we suffer a lot of people far to distracted by mobile phones and loud music, paying more attention to what's going on in the vehicle rather than outside it. My daughter was on a roundabout and a young guy failed to even stop, ploughed into the side of her because he was to busy talking on his mobile phone. No matter what our vehicle is, we still need brakes even the most careful drivers out there driving correctly will need to stop in an emergency at some time or another.
                                Last edited by Jeff Brown; 24-11-2016, 09:30.

Comment