No announcement yet.

Chitty Chitty bang bang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations Jeff on a very interesting and inspiring thread. I suspect there may have been rather a lot of C15 based campers lost to the scrap yards due to the cost of fabricating and welding repairs. It would be unfair of me to suggest the professionals are too expensive as they have to cover their overheads and wages and I expect you put in a lot of hours. Having worked so hard I would definitely look at periodic rust preventative treatments to protect your efforts, Waxoil and the like.

Many others lacking your determination would have given in and let it slip away so here's to many enjoyable holidays and look forward to seeing a photo of (does he or she have a name?) beside that Harrier jet.

Comment

Originally posted by Misted View Post
      Congratulations Jeff on a very interesting and inspiring thread. I suspect there may have been rather a lot of C15 based campers lost to the scrap yards due to the cost of fabricating and welding repairs. It would be unfair of me to suggest the professionals are too expensive as they have to cover their overheads and wages and I expect you put in a lot of hours. Having worked so hard I would definitely look at periodic rust preventative treatments to protect your efforts, Waxoil and the like.

Many others lacking your determination would have given in and let it slip away so here's to many enjoyable holidays and look forward to seeing a photo of (does he or she have a name?) beside that Harrier jet.
      Thanks Misted
      I have put a lot of time and work into her and I think my greatest joy of the whole project was hearing her engine start up for the first time in 3 years, I didn't spend as much time as I would have liked as it's parked in my daughters garage about 15 miles away and by the time I got there late morning working until around 7pm in the summer it wasn't giving me full days that I would have liked......
      I am going to Waxoil it when it warms up a little more, it's freezing working out in the garage with the door open for extra light, besides I want to give her a couple of runs out and about before doing that Job......

Her name is Chitty as in Chitty chitty bang bang as in the movie were chitty went into the barn as a wreck and came out all gleaming, well she's nearly gleaming but not for another couple of weeks....Harrier Jump jet isn't her name, that was in one of my comments were I wanted my first trip to be in a farmers field, this farmer bought a Harrier Jump jet and has it in a barn and brings it out into the camping field for the campers to have a look at, I wanted chitty's first official photograph to be next to this Harrier Jump Jet....

Here is a write up about the Harrier and a interesting video on her.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ife-first.html
      "Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time"

Comment

Preparations began Friday lunch time, flattening the paintwork ready for her re-spray, only managed to do part of the bonnet and one side and I found a little mark on the off side living space that needs a little filler on it, you can't notice it in the photo but I could see it, probably caused by a branch or something.

The bonnet was the worst bit, you don't notice all those little chips scratches and dings on them until you get down close but everyone of those chips, scratches and dings had to go and some took longer than others, all those paint edges had to be feathered. I now need to flatten the primer on the bonnet and wing but you can see by the amount of primer the work that had to be done, after the bonnet is finished that little bit of filler on the living space needs to be done, then I can move onto the other side and the rear, roof will be the last section. Can you see the radio Ariel? anyone any ideas on how to clip it back like it was originally. Also do you see the tiny Ariel, that is for the TV on my radio and believe this or not it picks up all the freeview channels where she is parked and that is with the bonnet and the garage door open and good picture quality too, it's only there for when I installed the radio and did the testing. Won't be to long now before she's fully re-sprayed and looking like chitty chitty bang band did when she left the barn lol sorry about the quality of photo's, taken on my phone in poor light conditions and a shaky hand.
        WP_20161007_15_18_54_Pro (Medium).jpgWP_20161128_14_56_58_Pro (Medium).jpgTV Ariel (Medium).jpg
        Last edited by Jeff Brown; 04-09-2017, 00:23.
        "Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time"

Comment

I was going to start the other side today but after giving the side I'd done the once over with a very close inspection, I found a couple more small dents and decided to concentrate on getting them sanded filled and primed. You can now see on the living section where I repaired those deep scratches that would have stood on once re-sprayed. Hope tomorrow I can start the other side so I can get her re-sprayed next week. Also had to repair the rear bumper off side after it was damaged when she was in for her mot and welding.

Comment

Well Chitty is booked in on the 19th of this month for a full re-spray.

Question for those following this thread.

I've just received in the post 2 LPG stickers I purchased and although I will be attaching one to the gas storage box are they a legal requirement?

Comment

I think they are. That is to say, you should have one on the outside of the gas locker. The reason is that if it catches fire, in theory the Fire Brigade will recognise the fact and will know where the gas bottle is. I don't think you need two, unless your gas locker is a separate box inside the vehicle in which case you should have one on the outside of the vehicle and one on the gas locker door.
              Also a 'no smoking' sticker inside any vehicle that is a company car or van is a legal requirement. Why that is, is a bit of a mystery. Smoking at your place of work is illegal, and your company car or van is a place of work. However, if the law requires you to post all legal notices, we should also have 'no murdering,' ' no prostituting', 'No thieving', 'No scamming', 'No Dangerous Dogs allowed', and so on. Thus of course you would be committing an offence by blocking the driver's view of the road. I once saw the road tax disc described as 'the legally required visual obstruction', which of course is illegal.
              Last edited by gasgas; 02-12-2016, 15:14.
              Blessed are those who find wisdom, those who gain understanding. Proverbs 3

Comment

are they legally required? rather than just very sensible to use? Mine was totally faded and unrecognisable so I bought a new one last year...within months it was equally faded and unrecognisable

Comment

I think they are. All new motorhomes have them, and they won't spend 0.0000002p on their build costs if they can avoid it.
                  Someone will have to look it up. It will be in some British - oops, I meant EU standard somewhere.
                  Actually come to think of it, maybe they aren't. You don't see LPG cars with them on do you? Or maybe they are but no one bothers. I would.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Brown View Post
                    Well Chitty is booked in on the 19th of this month for a full re-spray.

Question for those following this thread.

I've just received in the post 2 LPG stickers I purchased and although I will be attaching one to the gas storage box are they a legal requirement?
                    I don't think they are needed for private vehicles, but may be good practice to have them.

This seems to confirm, but I can't vouch for its accuracy or if regs have changed.

http://thelatebay.com/index.php?thre...in-vans.22884/

My Kangoo conversion doesn't have them, but previous AutoSleeper conversion did.

Julie

Comment

I asked because I'd seen arguments that yes it was law and others saying no it's not in private vehicles Just as it says in Julie's link.

I actually removed one from chitty's gas door but it was no larger than a 10p piece, I bought 2 as it was 99p for 2 @ 140mm x 140mm quite ample for a small door.

I was reading an online news article this week and a self employed guy had parked his van on a single yellow line while he unloaded, along comes the parking guy and gave him a ticket and he was fined £200, not for the parking matter but for not displaying a no smoking sign in his van even though he was self employed the van was his own and he never smoked or carried anyone in his van. So they are out there checking us and no doubt if carrying LPG stickers became law for displaying a LPG sticker then you can bet your bottom dollar we will become easy pickings for them.

Comment

You got me thinking so I popped outside to check if mine has. I does have the LPG sticker on the gas locker. It's a French Rapido.

Comment

Like as been mentioned, if the vehicle was ever in a fire then at least the emergency services wouldn't have to waste time searching for a gas bottle, one sticker can save time and possibly lives. To be honest I personally think it should be law.

Comment

I have just put a no smoking sticker in Donk, as although i have never smoked, i use him with the Signwritten fibleglass box back on for work, and if it's "the Law" i'd sooner save £200 (its only £50 i Scotland )

I think its proberbly a good idea to indicate that the is a Gas bottle on Board, espicially in my demountable, as i dont have an external gas locker and the although the emergency services would have to look under the seat, at least they would know one is in there ,somewhere

Comment

In about 1971 I, along with the neighbourhood within about a ten mile radius was woken at 3am when the Calor Gas depot in Croydon went up. All the bottles were exploding. I thought it was world war 3. Everyone was out in the street, in their nighties and pyjamas looking at the spectacular fireworks, 7 miles away. If your gas bottle went up in your motorhome you had better be a very long way away, though in fact if your caravan / mh caught fire, it is very doubtful that your gas bottle would explode, more likely it would emit a stream of gas from the outlet rather than go up in the air. The bottoms of the bottles are made weaker than the side so that if it does explode the bottle will shoot upwards rather than burst outwards like a hand grenade. You just need to make sure you aren't underneath when it lands!

Comment

I think I read that emergency services will assume a motorhome/campervan will have gas cylinders on board.

It's probably more of a hazard in a car full of camping gear, or someone transporting a cylinder home to use in a barbeque.

Julie

Comment