Chitty Chitty bang bang

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chitty Chitty bang bang

The wife was delighted with me when I came home one day and told her I'd just bought a C15 hy/lo camper 1994 that was until I told her the price of it? I paid £100 for her and she needed a fair bit of work done and the main bit was the previous owner severely neglected it badly, cam belt snapped and so did the cam shaft, (all that has been repaired now, new water pump and tensioners fitted, I even replaces the crankshaft oil seal, new cam belt supplied by previous owner along with a new camshaft.

when the wife finally got to see it a couple of days later she said "You really are mad aren't you? that will never be on the road again or are you planning moving into it" lol

The rust on her was pretty bad in all the usual area's for the C15. I opened the drivers door and I could see the chassis through the badly rotted sill but it still didn't deter my determination to prove my wife wrong. I've added the before and after shots of just the door sill repair although I've replaced the whole sill.
    I've had to replace the drivers door because it was in such poor condition the guy gave me many spares that included 2 doors, 2 wings, windscreen, alternators, starter motor and many other spares.

The spare door I put on had a crease in it and on further inspection I notice that it had no door stay which caused the door to swing wide open and come to a stop against the wing. I cut out the door stop from my old rusty door and welded it on to the replacement door, I pushed out as much of the crease I was able to and repaired it with body filler.

I was quoted £200 to have the sill alone removed and a new one welded back and I had to supply the sill, plus there was much more welding to do even on the chassis, O/S wheel arch, I could just see the price for welding going up and up and costing me more and more, now I'm no welder but I have done some welding as a hobby in the past creating scroll work gates. I thought £200 was a bit steep, so I bought myself a new mig welder for £200, I bought spot welding removal drills and got on with the job myself and replaced the sill, so far I've welded the chassis holes, treated all the rust and primed everything that I've welded, repair welding done to the front O/S wheel arch, even the towing eye was all bent so I've welded a couple of reinforcing plates, one each side.
    I noticed in the engine compartment where the jack sits there was a small ledge that had completely rusted away, I removed all the sound proofing behind the jack and removed the plate behind that only to find a rather large hole the size of a golf ball in the bulkhead, this meant when it rained or you threw a bucket of water over the camper the water would go down the grill below the screen and head straight inside by the drivers foot well, so I set about welding on a new plate bit awkward because I also had to watch I didn't set fire to anything under the dash board.
    The previous owner lives next door to my daughter where I have the camper parked and I asked him if it ever got wet in the foot well, he replied when it rained heavy or he washed the camper it would sometimes flood and he insisted it was a leaky windscreen, that was until I pointed out this rather large hole that was out of sight, that now repaired primed and painted and the drain pipe also unblocked. I then set about welding a new ledge on (where the jack sits) and that is now also repaired primed and painted.

I have also replace a drive shaft that had a broken boot on it and inside full of grit and dirt it was also minus any grease, I replaced both track rod ends as both had split bushes and in my eye's it's quicker to replace the whole unit rather than just the bushes plus they aren't expensive.

While I had the door lining off I replaced the door lock with the original one and then decided I'd fit central locking, pity there isn't any room in there or I would have fitted electric windows as well but still looking into this.

The back door frame was damaged by someone reversing into something and now I have just removed the frame and I have a good friend who is repairing it for me as I called in one of many favours he owes me.
    Still plenty to do yet but this is a very enjoyable project I have going it's just a shame it's 25 miles away from where I live and I don't get to go out there as much as I'd like. The wife is now coming around after I named the camper chitty chitty bang bang where it goes in as a wreck and comes out looking ace, mine won't fly or be able to float lol but she's going to turn some heads, once she's finished and is mot'd I have her booked in ready for a complete re-spray and I plan on putting new decals all around that I can cut myself on my plotter, my wife likes the idea of coffee and crème but I'm certainly open to ideas for a new design if anyone can come up with something.

I'll keep you posted on chitty's progress, I've taken many photo's of before and after as I've gone along and this has been and still is one hell of an enjoyable project.
    I must also thank Ant for all his advice he has been very helpful with very good information.

Sorry it's been a long post
    "Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time"

Eyup!

My kind of thread... hope you keep us updated... best of luck (not quite sure how Dick Van Dyke would have pronounced that)!
    A bad day fishing is infinitely better than a good day at work.

Comment

Originally posted by Les Barbeux View Post
      My kind of thread... hope you keep us updated... best of luck (not quite sure how Dick Van Dyke would have pronounced that)!
      Thanks Les
      To be honest I'm more worried about my wife than Dick Van Dyke lol This is the side view so far still working on the door crease as I need to get it spot on for spraying.

I'll certainly keep you updated along with photo's
      "Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time"

Comment

I was looking at

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3317046202...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Comment

image_13313.jpg

Sorry last post failed to upload both photo's
          Last edited by Jeff Brown; 28-08-2017, 12:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Traveller26 View Post
            I had my eye on this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2221708822...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The thing is, there isn't a lot of room between the door skins, you can be fooled with the space if the window is up as I found with the central locking, I tried many places but the actuator/motor kept catching on the window as I wound them up and down.

In the end I put them well forward to the leading edge of the door a bit fiddly but it gives plenty of space for free movement of the windows. It was at this point I thought about the size of the motor on the electric windows and I don't fancy paying out £40 only to find out they wont fit.

Comment

Wowee! And I thought that amount of rust was terminal! Well done to you, I hope it will soon pass its MOT and you will be on your travels!

Comment

Amazing! Wish i could weld...sob.

Comment

That's brilliant Jeff. We need more people like you, not thinking that a little bit of off-colour paintwork and a completely cream crackered engine is something to put you off. Well done, and in the end it will be worth it. You should warm up some waxoyl and spray it into the box sections, and it will never go rusty again.
                  I recently paid someone £75 to weld a 3" square plate under a car and thought I should have gone and bought a welder instead. Which one did you get? I do have an arc welder, which I bought in 1972 and works well, but its not as good as a wire/gas welder for car metal.
                  The king knows all that they intend by interception which they dream not of.

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
                    That's brilliant Jeff. We need more people like you, not thinking that a little bit of off-colour paintwork and a completely cream crackered engine is something to put you off. Well done, and in the end it will be worth it. You should warm up some waxoyl and spray it into the box sections, and it will never go rusty again.
                    I recently paid someone £75 to weld a 3" square plate under a car and thought I should have gone and bought a welder instead. Which one did you get? I do have an arc welder, which I bought in 1972 and works well, but its not as good as a wire/gas welder for car metal.
                    I think it was money well spent.
                    I've got this one, but lying on your back, trying to weld over your head isn't the best thing in the world.
                    I recently paid to get a couple of plates welded under mine, it's far easier when the van's on a lift, and you can stand up under it.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/mig1...as-mig-welder/

Comment

before and after sill repair.jpg
                      Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                      Wowee! And I thought that amount of rust was terminal! Well done to you, I hope it will soon pass its MOT and you will be on your travels!
                      My wife's thoughts exactly Jay

It pays to look beyond the damage or you may as well Just scrap it.
                      Replacing the section by the door as in the photo's got me a little worried at first but I went to a friends workshop (he is a metal fabricator) I explained what I wanted as in the shape and I wanted that little rolled edge as the original had, it took him around 10 minutes and all he did was bend that section 3 times to create the rolled edge, looked really easy provided you have the right machine and I was well pleased when I held it into place and it fitted like a glove.
                      Last edited by Jeff Brown; 28-08-2017, 12:01.

Comment

WP_20160414_18_07_49_Pro (Medium).jpgWP_20160425_14_08_22_Pro__highres (Medium).jpgWP_20160421_16_50_27_Pro__highres (Medium).jpg
                        Originally posted by llywelyn1984 View Post
                        Amazing! Wish i could weld...sob.
                        You can weld You should see my first weld on the wheel arch all I can say is it's a good Job it's covered lol but grinders are a god send
                        Last edited by Jeff Brown; 28-08-2017, 12:08.

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
                          I looked at is as a little project.
                          I purchased the welder in the link as it's gasless as well but I see the price has gone up since I paid £119.99 plus £4.99 p&p but I see he's even put the postage up now.
                          http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wolf-Mig14...wAAOSwBLlU2OwC

Then I purchased this mask. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2219727976...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
                          My original one like this cost me £100 and boy have they come down in price, works really well.

I also bought extra gasless wire Just in case the gas run out and it did, so I didn't have to stop work and hunt around my daughters area for a gas supplier. it spatters a little more but as it's out of sight and you can grind the welds then it doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure an arc welder would burn through the metal far to easy, take a while to get the wire feed and amps right but once you get that right then your on your way to good welding.

All the external box sections under the camper have been treated with underseal but what I exposed when cutting out the old rust I painted with red oxide, never thought of using waxoyl but at least I've given it some treatment.

After all the welding is complete I'll still have a welder for future use and that's the way I looked at it rather than keep paying someone more and more money.

Comment

I removed the rear barn door the other day because the previous owner reversed into something and bent and twisted the frame and the door was jamming as it opened and closed.

Took it to my fabricator mate who heated the aluminium up and knocked it back into shape for me and I'm well pleased with the job he did, I took it back to the camper and spent some time getting the little channels straight, she's ready for re-fitting now but Just waiting on Ant's reply as to the best sealant to use around the frame before fitting. When I removed it, it was just stuck in with what looks like bathroom sealant but I'm sure they don't use this type of sealant but I may be wrong.

Comment

Jeff- there are a great number of sealants that all look like bathroom silicone sealant but aren't. Generally the one to use on motorhomes and caravans is Sikaflex 512.
                              https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sikaflex-Ca.../dp/B0036KGDH0
                              The king knows all that they intend by interception which they dream not of.

Comment