This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solar panels....Yeah, I know, again!

Am shopping round for a solar panel for my Duo Hitop as part of preparations for an extended european trip next spring.... Have found some "semi flexible" ones (in the 80 to 100w range), has anyone any experience of these?

My reasoning for considering them is that they seem thinner and lighter than the normal type and may therefor be more secure with being held in place by plenty of double sided sticky pads... I obviously don't want any holes in the roof. I intend to have the wiring entering by removing the roof vent and bringing it in down the side of it, then between the roof lining and roof to the Zig where I can fit the regulator.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be most welcome

A bad day fishing is infinitely better than a good day at work.

my traditional style, rigid solar panel is stuck to the roof with alum angle brackets and sikkaflex, no issues. Its important to have sufficient thickness of sikkaflex, use spacers to ensure its more than a smear of adhesive ! No fixing holes needed

Comment

Originally posted by 48pop View Post
      my traditional style, rigid solar panel is stuck to the roof with alum angle brackets and sikkaflex, no issues. Its important to have sufficient thickness of sikkaflex, use spacers to ensure its more than a smear of adhesive ! No fixing holes needed
      Interesting.... so have I got it right, just the angle brackets are actually stuck to roof?

What sort of size spacers did you use... couple of mm or so?, and which Sikaflex did you find successful? all singing and dancing 252, 512 caravan sealer, EBT+ or maybe 291i marine? ... though I would think that there probably isn't a lot of difference.

Last edited by Les Barbeux; 16-08-2016, 08:36.
      A bad day fishing is infinitely better than a good day at work.

Comment

I have a thin, semi flexible, 150 watt solar panel on the roof of my van. I went for that so that the weight didn't increase too much as it's a pop up which I have to push up and so that the height wasn't increased by more than a few mill so I can still get under some height barriers. I thought it would be just stuck on but the technician who fitted it also put 4 bolts through the roof - it was too late once he'd done it.

So far (fitted 6 months or so ago) it's been fine.

Comment