This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED light dimmer

I'm installing led lighting where I can in chitty, because we will use places with no EHU, I'm replacing the 8amp strip lights for 4amp led strips that a lot of you guy's seem to have. the led strips seem a lot brighter than the normal strip lights that are fitted as standard and my wife likes to read late into the night, so I'm thinking of making her own overhead light that she is able to read by but also not to keep me awake with bright lights, I'm one of those people who like to sleep in darkness. Anyway I purchased a led dimmer controller and bench tested it today and I must say it's worth every penny, well a whole £2.52 to be precise and the led's can be turned down very low to off by the controller. Very easy to install.

If you are interested have a look at them here, mine took a week to arrive.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1722520810...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

A video on youtube showing the dimmer in operation.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yjUc9g3ysk
    "Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time"

Firstly Jeff, I think you mean 8 WATT & 4 WATT lights. Yes 4 Watt / mtr strips will potentially be a lot brighter than an 8 Watt tube. I replaced the 10W halogen reading lights in my R30 with 2 W soft white bulbs and they're a lot brighter.

The dimmer is interesting as not all LED bulbs are dimmable. It probably depends on the LED controller chip.
    Still crazy after all these beers.

Comment

I stand corrected Grumblewagon I indeed did mean Watts, thank you.

I was sat in Chitty late this afternoon and I put on the reading light and I noticed how red/orange the light is that they gives out where the LED is out a much whiter light.
      The LED controller works very well during a bench test, dimming drivers can dim LEDs by reduction in the forward current, so depending on the quality of the components the manufactures use I would expect a normal dimmer to last a long time. I purchased the LED suggested for the dimmer but it seems to work on some other led lights I have here and for £2.52 you can't go wrong.
      "Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time"

Comment

Morning Jeff. I made a mistake when I initially set about changing the bulbs for LEDs. The R30 has 4 spotlights over the seating area and 3 recessed ones in the kitchen area. Not knowing what was best, I ordered a 2 Watt floodlight (120 degrees) in 'Cool white' . This was totally wrong on both counts - too wide a beam and a harsh white light. Fortunately I only bought one bulb to try it. I then bought four 30 degree spotlights in warm white. These are perfect - only 2 Watt instead of 10 and a much more natural light.

In the kitchen, the lights had 'capsule' bulbs and the equivalent LED was too large, but I managed to get disc shaped bulbs - almost flower shaped! I'm thinking about converting the flourescent lights simply by removing the innards (but retaining the switch) and fitting a strip of LEDs.
        Still crazy after all these beers.

Comment

Good evening Grumblewagon.
          There are so many different led's giving off different colour white and like you I also bought some led bulbs for the reading/spot lights but when they arrived they are much to small, it was advertised as side light bulbs but these are much smaller than what is already fitted in chitty they are more the size we used to have in a torch, so back to searching again.
          You have the same plan as I for the strip light conversion. You can cut these strips after each third section but you'd use more than 3 sections for a strip light. I checked the specs of the strips but it says nothing about the voltage if you cut down these strips but before fitting any I'm doing a bench test to make sure they don't blow up on me lol Over the years I've had them blow up and boy do they make you jump even though I knew it could happen lol I plan to look into adding a strip light above the top bunk with the dimmer control but will let you know how it goes. I want to get the final bits done on Chitty before her MOT in a week or two.

Comment