As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Romahome burgled

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Romahome burgled

I came back to my Romahome and found the interior light cover on the drivers side floor broken.

I'd parked it in the car park of the Riverside leasure Centre in Exeter whilst I used the facilities there.

I realised my speed camera detector was missing and that I had forgotten to lock the passenger side door as well.

They had simply opened the side door climbed into the back stole about £2 from a coat pocket, stole a VHF radio, and 20 tea bags.

Strangely enougth they never took my Tom Tom sat nav, my hand held sat nav for the kayak and a few other items they could have sold for drug money.

I should be more careful where I park, and that it's locked properly but the
    C15 has awkward doors that can only be locked from the inside once the passenger has got out, I just forgot.

Sorry to hear about your bad news. When I worked as an insurance loss adjuster, almost ever victim of burglary used to say something along the lines of 'I can't believe they took *that* and left *that*. The truth is that these people are just opportunists. The get in, grab a few things and then flee.

As for your speed camera detector - not so much sympathy there! Just stick to the speed limit and you won't need one...<sorry, couldn't resist>

Comment

sorry to hear about this. I can lock my passenger door by key. When mine was stolen they took all the good stuff! and the van itself, fortunately I got it back about 6 weeks later with some damage, but all sorted now. But a horrid experience.

Comment

Sorry to hear that, on the plus side they didn't cause too much damage. We had a central locking interface fitted to our romahome as I kept forgetting to lock the doors. Maybe it's worth looking into??
        Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Originally posted by riosromahome View Post
          I came back to my Romahome and found the interior light cover on the drivers side floor broken.

I'd parked it in the car park of the Riverside leasure Centre in Exeter whilst I used the facilities there.

I realised my speed camera detector was missing and that I had forgotten to lock the passenger side door as well.

They had simply opened the side door climbed into the back stole about £2 from a coat pocket, stole a VHF radio, and 20 tea bags.

Strangely enougth they never took my Tom Tom sat nav, my hand held sat nav for the kayak and a few other items they could have sold for drug money.

I should be more careful where I park, and that it's locked properly but the
          C15 has awkward doors that can only be locked from the inside once the passenger has got out, I just forgot.
          Oh bloody hell,what a rotten thing to happen to you mate, at least they didnt do too much damage. I know you will put it all right, but I guess you feel rotten about it. Chin up chum,you can beat them. see you in march.
          Ian
          Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Oh dear that's bad news, I am always worried about leaving the van in isolated places as there is so much valuable stuff in there but you'd think it would be ok in a leisure centre car park.
            Graham
            Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
              Oh dear that's bad news, I am always worried about leaving the van in isolated places as there is so much valuable stuff in there but you'd think it would be ok in a leisure centre car park.
              Yes, you would! I quite agree!

So very sorry this has happened. Will you claim on your insurance?

Comment

Sorry to hear your bad news, it is a big worry these days no matter what area you park, these people are just opportunists in and out in no time, good thing no damage done, good point made about the central locking but what an expense that would be, I check all doors before I walk away from the vehicle, if they want to get in they will, bit of bad luck buddy.
                Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
                'Live without regrets'

Comment

Now this has happened to me it's made me think more about the C15 Romahome and how secure it isn't.

The rear door is flimsy ally 2 piece that could be crow barred open without much effort even with a dead lock bolt. The side windows are just plastic that can be pulled outwards with a firm jolt. the bonnet could be forced open and the 12v fuel solenoid simply linked to the battery and a bump start.

Lucky I didn't catch him becuase I would not have done the usual " Oi, what do you think you're doing" thing. or the "get out" thing. No I'd be the facing a judge.

What's happened to our country?

Comment

Originally posted by riosromahome View Post
                    Now this has happened to me it's made me think more about the C15 Romahome and how secure it isn't.

The rear door is flimsy ally 2 piece that could be crow barred open without much effort even with a dead lock bolt. The side windows are just plastic that can be pulled outwards with a firm jolt. the bonnet could be forced open and the 12v fuel solenoid simply linked to the battery and a bump start.

Lucky I didn't catch him becuase I would not have done the usual " Oi, what do you think you're doing" thing. or the "get out" thing. No I'd be the facing a judge.

What's happened to our country?
                    Wooah! calm down chum, Your C15 is a good little vehicle, NO motorcaravan is villan proof.But they got in through an unlocked door - teens or kids trying handles.
                    Unlikely to happen again,Your rear door is well safe, any car can be broken into with a brick! So,stop worrying,fix the damage,get insulated etc,and I look forward to seeing you and your girl in March
                    Get a good insurance so if it happens,and its unlikely,you can stick a good claim in.Look at the links on this site for insurance.
                    Ian - ps buy a punch ball and use it .
                    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

I agree with Ian.

To put this into perspective, the vehicle was left unlocked and the 'thieves' sound more like kids trying door handles than a serious break-in gang. Any serious criminal thief would steal valuables not £2 and teabags!

A determined thief could break into any vehicle but these sound more like they were out for a bit of opportunist 'fun' (just like that time I was surrounded and trapped at Nash Point).

I would simply learn from this and be vigilant about locking doors in the future.

BTW If you really want to see what happened, you could report the incident to the leisure centre manager and ask if they have any CCTV coverage of the car park.

Comment

vehicle burglary

Technically this is not a burglary but a theft from a motorvehicle.

I think your insurance company would not pay out to you if you
                        did claim as the unlocked door was your fault.

Nevertheless, it is unpleasant to think someone has been in your
                        van, like someone breaking into your home. It is like personal assault.

Hope you get over it soon and I'm sure will be more careful in future.

Chin up,
                        baldybantam

Comment

The Romahome Burgled title was to keep it short and descriptive only.

I would not claim on insurance becuase I would be ripped off by them at renewal time and they would expect me to have reported it to the police of which I would not do either.

I have replaced the VHF and the GPS speed camera detector I am bidding on ebay at the mo.

I will be over it in a few years from now

Comment

So sorry to read your post regard the theft,BUT, a speed detection device in a c15..?.......On a serious note tho, at least no glass was broken, which would have been a pain in the bum & the culprit didnt take your other personal bits..My bet whoever was watchin you maybe & saw you not lock up? I use to leave the radio on in the back & with my nets drawn no one was quite sure iff we were in or out.GRr its soo annoying tho.
                            Rob,:thumbsup:

Comment

break-ins

I have had three different models of Romahome in 16 years and three break-ins. The back door on the C15 only requires a cheap pen-knife to force it but now I have the Berlingo outlook I hope I'm more secure. The worst time was on a Friday night when four young men amused themselves by wrecking the outside (pulling off trims etc) whilst I lay hardly breathing. Then one jumped on the bonnet onto the roof and pulled off the sky light in under 30 seconds. As he was lowering himself into the van I politely asked him in my school mistress voice "What on earth do you think you are doing?". He jumped up and they ran away but not far. I got out to try to retrieve my trims and sky light and they just watched me. Typically it was raining and I got out my indispensible parcel tape to seal the roof with plastic. I was quite shaken but put on a strong front.Next day I was up a 9 step ladder securing the roof light and it remained good for the month I was away. Just dealing a burglary from my house...window boarded up...freezing and all small valuables taken. Where was I? In Romahome of course! Not been a good year so far but I'm not beaten. Looking forward to Spring and those long days when we have energy.Best wishes to all Janet.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X