This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Romahome agents

I wonder if anyone has experience of Romahome's Scottish agent? We bought an R40 at the NEC show in October 09 and took delivery of it last April. Living in the highlands of Scotland we were concerned about getting repairs done under warranty but we were assured that Romahome had an agent in Perthshire.
    Subsequently it turns out that this particular agent would only carry out work if we bought the vehicle from him. We spoke to a representative of this agent yesterday at the Scottish Caravan and Camping Show and I'm afraid his response to our fairly innocent question was hostile and very unpleasant.
    We've had a number of teething problems with the R40 and it's a long, long way from our home in Inverness-shire to the Isle of Wight. We had problems with the Webasto Duel Top heater but managed to find an excellent Webasto dealer in East Kilbride who repaired the heater under warranty and we'll probably have to do the same regarding problems with other various fitments.
    I just wonder if anyone else has suffered a similar problem? I'm currently trying to find out the legal definition of an "authorised agent" and what responsibilities such an agent has.

Well according to the Romahome website they have a Romahome dealer in Scotland:

Perthshire Caravan Company
    Dundee Road, Errol, Perth, Perthshire, PH2 7SR

http://www.romahome.com/romahome-dealers

If they are listed as a Romahome dealer I would think they would have to deal with any problems you have whether or not you bought the van from them.

Why not give Romahome a ring and ask them what the position is?
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Romahone Dealers

Thanks Graham.
      Perthshire Caravan Company is in fact the dealer in question. Although they are an official Romahome dealer they refuse to carry out any work under warranty unless we bought the vehicle from them. I've written to Romahome about the problem and await a reply and when we asked a representative of Perthshire Caravan Company about the situation he became extremely unpleasant. I'm currently trying to discover the legal responsibilities of an "official" dealer or agent.

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron View Post
        Thanks Graham.
        Perthshire Caravan Company is in fact the dealer in question. Although they are an official Romahome dealer they refuse to carry out any work under warranty unless we bought the vehicle from them.
        That's ridiculous what is the point of them being a Romahome dealer then?

It's like having a Ford car go wrong under warranty and taking it to a Ford dealer and them refusing to touch it because you didn't buy it from them.

I am sure Romahome will sort out the problem for you one way or another, I would have though Perthshire Caravans would do the work and Romahome reimburse them.
        Graham
        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

We've just bought our Romahome from Southampton, despite living in York. We asked about the warranty, suggesting it was next to useless if we had to do a 500 mile round trip for every fault! We were re-assured that the warranty is covered by a multitude of authorised repairers around the country and that as long as we telephoned Dolphin (Southampton) first and went through them, the repairs could be done locally to us.

Not sure if this helps - but the point being that the warranty is sold through a third party company and its the availability of their repairers which is apposite, not the dealership.

Comment

Romahome dealers

Thanks for the responses. It's an unusual situation and I just wonder if any other "agents" or "dealerships" have the same attitude. One thing is for sure - Perthshire Caravans won't touch our vehicle, agent or not, and after the way they reacted to us we will certainly never cross their threshold. I'll let the forum know what Romahome's response is, although I should point out that I don't hold them responsible in any way. I'm sure they went into the agreement with Perthshire Caravans in good faith.

Comment

Unfortunately according to other motorhome forums it appears to be common that a lot of dealers will not carry out warranty repairs on vehicles that they are agents for but have not supplied.

Comment

Romahome needs to sort this one out right now. I wonder whether Andrew would be prepared to contribute?

Meanwhile I am sorry to hear of your problems Cameron

Comment

Publicity is such a powerful tool nowadays. Everyone Googles anything they buy now, and the supplier - if I were really unhappy with a service I'd received, I'd certainly go public. Fairly, of-course, but its worth remembering what a powerful tool the net is for the customer.

Comment

Originally posted by MarknHelen View Post
                    Publicity is such a powerful tool nowadays. Everyone Googles anything they buy now, and the supplier - if I were really unhappy with a service I'd received, I'd certainly go public. Fairly, of-course, but its worth remembering what a powerful tool the net is for the customer.
                    The laws of libel are equally powerful,and publishing on the web is not anonymous,you can be identified, Messrs Carter Ruck plc make a good living from such prosecutions and they are not alone.
                    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

I think as long as you are factual and truthful then you need not fear the threat of libel.
                      Last edited by Tentpeg; 05-02-2011, 07:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                        The laws of libel are equally powerful,and publishing on the web is not anonymous,you can be identified, Messrs Carter Ruck plc make a good living from such prosecutions and they are not alone.
                        I wouldn't be posting under an assumed name, I'd be posting under my real identity and I'd be telling nothing other than fact.

This method has seen some real benefits for customer rights - a good example is the Swift Ace motorhome issues with damp floors. Swift representatives now patrol and partake in the forums relating to the issue (See Motorhome Facts site), they offer advice and take steps to put things right.

The internet isn't just about name calling and sticks and stones, if used correctly, it can be very pro-consumer.

Comment

I have to say I agree with Mark and Helen about this point. This is a serious concern about accessing aftercare service and I am grateful for them raising it given my intention to get a motorhome probably Roma.

As I have said before it is the excellent aftercare service that is offered that attracts me to them.

Hopefully a Romahome rep will come on to reassure or explain.

Comment

Romahome dealers

I should emphasize that I don't want to throw sticks or stones. I just want to discover what the common practise is with agents and dealers and what their obligations are. I've written to Andrew Jones and suggested that if Perthshire Caravans won't service Romahome campers under warranty then perhaps Romahome should be looking for a new Scottish agent.

Comment

Romahome have an excellent after sales reputation and I am sure they will sort your problems out to your satisfaction.
                              Graham

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X