X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road tax

Hi, I'm looking at a C15 Hylo - how much is the road tax? Thanks

Hi Betsy.
    If the C15 has been registered as a Motorcaravan and Private Light Goods it will cost £205 for 12months £112.75 for 6 months. If however it's been registered as a van and Light goods vehicle it will cost £200 for 12 months and £110 for 6 months. You can tell which it is by looking at the registration certificate (Log book) where about 3 inches down it states the "Body type" and "Taxation Class".
    Thanks
    Ant

Comment

Really?? Ouch! Wasn't expecting that! Having major second thoughts now.. I need to find something fairly cheap to insure, tax and run, that I can use every day around town, carry gardening tools in - and sleep in! Am I living in cloud cuckoo land?
      Thanks, Ant

Comment

Any vehicle below 3.5 tons correctly registered as a motorhome/camper will be £205. Some are wrongly registered as vans. Could that be used as an insurance excuse for not paying out in the event of an accident. the correct taxation class is Private Light Goods (PLG)

Comment

Originally posted by Betsy View Post
          Hi, I'm looking at a C15 Hylo - how much is the road tax? Thanks
          I have a bee in my bonnet about this "road tax" thing.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS ROAD TAX

"Road tax" was abolished about 80 years ago, and its replacement, the "road fund" with its attendant "licence" went in the 1950's.

This bugs me as a regular cyclist when white van ignoramus shouts "get off the road, you don't pay road tax", or some Jeremy Clarkson wannabe writes to the local paper about car drivers paying for the road so cyclists should be banished to the pavements.

What we now pay is the "Graduated Vehicle Excise Duty", a tax on the privilege of owning a motor vehicle, and NOTHING to do with paying for the roads.

The provision and maintenance of roads is paid for out of general taxation (income tax, ciggy duty, booze duty etc etc), and Council tax in particular. We ALL pay for the roads, whether we be drivers, cyclists or pedestrians, through our taxes generally.

I have been told that it was Winston Churchill as a treasury minister who proposed the abolition of "Road Tax" saying that "no single class of road user should believe that they had a monoploy of road use" or words to that effect.

I, as a cyclist, :bicycle: have as much right to use the road (unless specifically prohibited by Act of Parliament) as any motor vehicle.

No, I am wrong there.

Actually in law, I believe that cyclists, pedestrians and horse riders have the RIGHT to use the Queen's highway, whereas motor vehicles only use it "under licence", which licence can be taken away by the courts.

So, let's have less of this "Road Tax" nonsense.

Rant over, ...... I have taken the tablets, ...... back to normal now,

Barry5

Comment

Hmmmm... Nevertheless 'one' can't keep a vehicle on the ROAD unless 'one' has displayed a valid TAX disc - hence the link between ROAD and TAX

Comment

Interesting thread!
              But where do caravans fit in for road use?
              IS a caravan a vehicle or NOT?
              Obviously it is legal to tow a caravan behind a licensed vehicle, but is it legal to leave it parked on a highway? Remembering that the highway extends beyond the road to the perimeter walls or hedges or whatever and include laybys.
              Uncoupled caravans can often be seen parked, often overnight, on the road ouside houses and mostly without lights. Is that legal?
              At the back of my mind is often the legal question of leaving my van on a highway to get help if a fault develops.
              Is that OK?
              My tow car does not qualify for inclusion in this topic. It is TAX EXEMPT!
              Jim.
              Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Cyclists do have the right to use the roads the same as everyone else but they should be bound by the same rules as all of the other road users.

They should be made to display registration numbers so they can be traced in the event of a miss-use i.e jumping red lights i see numerious cylclists do) Riding the wrong way up a one way street (again see loads doing it) and riding in a pedestrian only area (again !!!) or in the event of an accident or causing injurt or damage.

They should all have at least 3rd party insurance, as a bike can do a lot of damage and the only way to get recompense is to sue the rider personally and if they are not registered how can you trace them or believe the details they give are correct.

Also they should have a test to insure they are fit to be on the road..
                Yes the Bike AND the rider.

They all winge that they have rights, but they should be EQUAL rights.

Comment

get a suzi rascal or dai hat su or piaggo cheap to tax cheap on fuel cheap to insure ok it not big but big enough for two not fast but whos in a rush fit removable unit then u have camper and a van poptop ok hers one i just found give you a idea

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-RASCA...item231021c3c9

Comment

A pal of mine works in city hall,boris`s lair,so far 300 of boris`s hire bikes have been nicked,and none recovered.

at the local rail station to me,the council authorised massive roadworks,this entailed taking the bike parking out of use,on the day 16 bikes were padlocked by their owners to the bike parking bays as normal while their owners caught the train to work.the contractors released the bikes by cutting the frames away!!!!! the bikes were thrown into a skip and taken away!!!!!

At the hospital where I work,no one will use the bike parks outside because the local yobs nick them or smash the wheels for fun.

bikes have their problems,but I agree they often flaut the road laws,but catching a cyclist is almost impossible.

We have expensive cycle lanes round here,but they are unused.
                    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

[QUOTE=Ian STOCKLEY;18881]
                      at the local rail station to me,the council authorised massive roadworks,this entailed taking the bike parking out of use,on the day 16 bikes were padlocked by their owners to the bike parking bays as normal while their owners caught the train to work.the contractors released the bikes by cutting the frames away!!!!! the bikes were thrown into a skip and taken away!!!!!

:bicycle:That's appalling! I just hope the Council recompensed the owners of the bikes. I sometimes wonder whether some of these contractors have any brains - it must be so obvious that the bikes, correctly padlocked, must belong to someone.

Comment

They may have posted notices of the impending work, as they often do when yellow lines are painted or roads resurfaced, but some idiot driverss still park their cars an cause delays.

If they did post the signs and they were ignored then the owners of the bikes got what they derserved.

Comment

I have a good one for you, regarding cyclists.
                          Derek & I were almost knocked down, when we were at work, by a cyclist who was on the pavement and was travelling at a fair of speed. We had just turned the corner and WHOOSH, there he was. Luckily we were able to stop before we & the cyclist made contact but I was quite angry with him. Very angry as it was our boss, a local councillor who really should have known better. I did say to him that he shouldnt be riding his bike on the pavement. His reply was "You dont have the authority to tell me that " !!!!!!!
                          This man is in charge of all the parking, parking attendants,car parks in three different borough's and a lot more.
                          If the powers that be dont take notice of the law what chance do we have of anyone else bothering.

Comment

They all seem to have that attitude because there is no recompence and no registration to pass on when an offence is committed. So they know they will get away with it !

Comment

Originally posted by Betsy View Post
                              Really?? Ouch! Wasn't expecting that! Having major second thoughts now.. I need to find something fairly cheap to insure, tax and run, that I can use every day around town, carry gardening tools in - and sleep in! Am I living in cloud cuckoo land?
                              Thanks, Ant
                              The C15 is your best bet on the above requirements! The taxation is the cheapest for a small campervan, the larger ones are even more expensive! And they are good on diesel consumption as well. I don't think you could do better than that, given the requirements as you list them above, unless you go for Ageing Hippy's suggestion of a converted small van. That would be good for gardening tools, but not so comfortable for sleeping! There are also the self-build vans in another section of this forum, that have the same taxation class as a large car I think, but would involve a conversion if you're handy with tools and carpentry.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X