No announcement yet.

Clockwork Orange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought you cut the bump stops off donks? Not sure how they come off...just twist?!

Comment

The bottom cones that support the springs are welded to my original bottom cups (i originally had the springs just sitting in these but they squeaked as the springs compressed and un-compressed)

These cups and cones are held in place over the leaf spring clamps by metal brackets that are just bolted on.

The original rubber bump-stops are still in place under the cones.

As i said before, i am thinking of cutting off a couple of inches off of the cones to allow more suspension travel and then any bumping will be against the rubber bump stops and not the metal cones.

Also for Kernojon...changing the shock absorbers for Munroe MAX-VAN shocks for the 1.3 carry (at around £40 the pair) made one hell of a difference to back end swaying, so if they have the equivalent for your pick up they are well worth changing

Comment

dried sealant and other issues

Today the intention was to take down the ceiling panels and reglue them in place.
        To do this the first step was to remove the rooflights - the rear one over the kitchen area pushes open the front square one is a Fiamma which winds open -

In both cases the step one is to undo the screws holding the interior frame in place in the picture you can see my finger pointing to one of these screws

IMGA0028.jpg

When I'd removed the rear (kitchen) rooflight from the inside - I pushed it onto the roof without any resistance - I had expected it to be stuck by the sealant. I went up the ladder - the 30+ year old seal had shrunk and hardened to the consistency of a biscuit - it was no longer pliable and capable of making an effective seal. This is to be expected silicone seal has a lifespan!

IMGA0024.jpg
        This is the Rooflight apperture to the front is the back edge of the solar panel

IMGA0025.jpg

A closer view of the degraded sealant.
        Of course this indicates another job also needs doing - we will have to open the seals holding the windows to the body and reseal them - these are the fixed windows - last time we did a similar job was on a little Freedom caravan 2 of us working together using kitchen knives managed to do the job. We have now reached the point where it is better to do the job properly - no cutting corners so we will not have to do the same job later.

Incidentally once again I had a fall - as I got out of the van the step rocked and tipped me off - Fortunately nothing appears to be broken this time I must be more careful

Jon
        Last edited by kernowjon; 21-05-2017, 21:28.

Comment

A quick update before we embark on the major interior refurb. I purchased 5metres of 2 metre wide trimcarpet. The color BARLEY is Sandra's choice not mine.

We have cut out the ceiling 6mm ply using one the old ceiling panels as a template (the join runs down the centre of the van - but be careful as the locker on the kitchen side and the locker on the sink side are not the same depth) conducted a test fitting after a little fetling all is fine.

We have now covered both panels with trim carpet. Her indoors SWMBO is unhappy the glue has made dark marks appear - I did say I thought BARLEY was too light - but I was thinking about the dog.

Jon

Comment

Did you apply spray adhesive to ply, to carpet, or to both? I have some to do myself.

Originally posted by kernowjon View Post

When I'd removed the rear (kitchen) rooflight from the inside - I pushed it onto the roof without any resistance - I had expected it to be stuck by the sealant. I went up the ladder - the 30+ year old seal had shrunk and hardened to the consistency of a biscuit - it was no longer pliable and capable of making an effective seal. This is to be expected silicone seal has a lifespan!

Jon
            It doesn't look like much of that sealant was even in contact with anything? May be the pics but it looks straight from the tube, not squashed.

Comment

I used grey trim on our own pod but Barley trim to cover the pod i re-furbished.

We used the spray adhesive and that worked great applied to both surfaces before sticking and none soaked through.

Comment

Originally posted by Dapple View Post
                Did you apply spray adhesive to ply, to carpet, or to both? I have some to do myself.

It doesn't look like much of that sealant was even in contact with anything? May be the pics but it looks straight from the tube, not squashed.
                Carpet trim - we used brush on - I have a couple of 2.5 litre cans so it was the obvious option - when we did a Freedom Caravan some years ago we did the same - but we used a darker flecked pattern which was OK. Incidentally the fumes built up to such a level the gas alarm kept tripping - I reckon we must have been tripping too How to enjoy your work.
                We will overcome the problem with fabric paint - orange ceiling again - if I get my way. I bet SWMBO has different ideas!:blank:
                I would follow DDs advice - you must coat both the panel and the carpet then when it is nearly dry (tacky) it will stick - one shot to get it right.

Re rooflights - I tend to agree - I have a few issues with the roof lights - the front Fiamma has been anchored down with pop-rivetts - What is the seal like there? I decided not to drill them out so I laid new seal around the outside using a spreader to push in tight.

Jon

Comment

Two steps forward - One step back!!!

The carpet is going on well - Sandra is doing a fine job.

sandra trim 3.jpg
                  While she has been dealing with the carpet I have done the pelmets now with 4 inch wide shelves above.
                  pelmett shelf detail.jpg

Thats the 2 steps forward.
                  The downside the roof is lumps and bumps between the resin mounting blobs / pads, Close examination revealed some of the lumps and bumps of old adhesive filler are so high the ceiling will not seat on the resin bits. So out with the Lidel / Parkside multi tool on with the scraper blade and after an arm aching choking hour the roof is almost fine. Second problem length of the pop rivetts I used for the solar panel - distinctly too long. Solution drill them out and rivett the other way - I have then coated them with large amounts of sealant to ensure they are water-tight.
                  Doesn't sound a lot but progress is in the right direction.
                  Jon

Comment

Solar Panel fitting

As stated in the last post I had a disaster and had to refit pop-rivetts from inside to out So I have used lashings of sealant it does not look elegant but it works.

IMGA0003.jpg

The mounting is 2 lengths of 40mm aluminium angle fastened to the long sides of the panel with Sikaflex and nut headed self tappers - the type that drill their own holes.

IMGA0004.jpg

To allow for the raised part of the roof the angle hangs down about 20 to 25 mm lower than the bottom of the panel.

IMGA0005.jpg

The mounting in turn is fastened to the roof with Sikaflex and pop-rivetts
                    My panel is 117 cm or 46 inches long which is quite a tight fit between the front and rear rooflights - incidentall the plywood is covering the rear rooflight apperture while we are working inside and the ceiling is not yet refitted.

(BTW DD your inbox is full)

Jon
                    Last edited by kernowjon; 30-05-2017, 15:40.

Comment

Thanks Jon.

Thouht they just dropped off the end....

Emptied it now

Comment

Jon, hows the refurb going ?
                        Here are a couple of pictures from when I did ours, the blobby bits are what was left sticking to the inside skin, the other is the finished fit with some blingy chrome screw caps that go into blobs of resin and partially into the double skin, foam filled void along the centre ridge.

I'm also replacing the original skylights with some fancy Thule units.

Regards
                        Graham

WP_20170521_18_24_02_Pro.jpgWP_20170521_18_35_35_Pro.jpgWP_20170606_09_29_47_Pro.jpg

Comment

Hi Graham and everyone else your van is It is looking good - nice skylights - are you putting in Steitz windows? I considered them but I thought it would be major work reducing the size of the window appertures.

Clockwork Orange progress - the ceiling is up and staying up and staying in place. - I have bought a pair of ex Smart Car leather seats to replace the 'orrible Daihatsu offerings. Fitting is not too difficult according to the forums
                          http://hijet.findtalk.biz/t1229-fitting-smart-car-seats
                          Hopefully the extra lumbar support will be better for my back and the van will look smarter (excuse the pun).
                          Photos follow soon.
                          Jon

Comment

Hi Jon, yes we fitted Seitz windows, 120 x 60cm, we opening windows to start with so only had to chop out the corners of the aperture to suit the more squared off corners of the new units.

I like the sound of the smart car seats, Rose has been complaining about a lack of lumbar support, do you have a link for where you saw the idea ?

Glad your ceiling is still up !

Regards
                            Graham

Comment

Originally posted by Tigerfish View Post
                              Hi Jon, yes we fitted Seitz windows, 120 x 60cm, we opening windows to start with so only had to chop out the corners of the aperture to suit the more squared off corners of the new units.

I like the sound of the smart car seats, Rose has been complaining about a lack of lumbar support, do you have a link for where you saw the idea ?

Regards
                              Graham
                              I'll take another look at the Seitz.

I gave the link in the last post. Here it is again http://hijet.findtalk.biz/t1229-fitting-smart-car-seats

There is a bit of modifying to do - stops on the drivers seat so it will wind forward to lift cover and shorten slider rails and drill new holes in the cover - not too difficult though - I think matching passenger seats would be better - use the Daihatsu seat belt mounts.

Jon

Comment

You need to remember that in a pick up you have a bulkhead behind the seats that will affect their adjustment (rake) backwards.

In our Bambi (Rascal Pickup) where the bulkhead was removed I fitted Suzuki vitara seats but in the 1.3 carry with the Demountable pod there is a bulkhead and no where for the seat backs to tip into. If replacements are fitted they have to be mounted further to allow the back to tip slightly forward shortening the available legroom

Comment