As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R25 spare wheel

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R25 spare wheel

Finally taken delivery of my new R25. She's beautifull but I'm a little dismayed to find the spare wheel taking up a large chunk of the above cab space. Is there an alternative place for stowing it?

Blondie

Another R25, good. We have our spare under the rear flap, full size not spacesaver.
    I assume you have the modified raked back to allow more ground clearance, therefore limiting space for wheel. Still it is better than carrying one of those repair kit thingys, would not want to be out in the wilds with a blowout and no spare.

Tony Anchorman

Comment

R 25

Our spare is at the back under the rear flap same as yours Tony. I suppose the raked back is to stop it grounding. Lets have a picture. Is the spare a full size tyre
      BRIAN

Comment

Our R25 has the spare wheel under a flap at the back of the van, like Tony's and Bryan's. We had a choice between the raked back with no space for spare, or the non raked back fitted with spring assisters to improve ground clearance, but which still left space for the spare wheel to fit under the van. We opted for the non raked back. I don't know whether this option is going to be longterm, it may be just until the original non raked are 'used up', and then only the raked version will be available. If this is the case it might be some compensation to know you have the very latest model! It's also possible that Romahome will come up with some sort of adaptation in the future, which would help you, as they are pretty good at listening to customer feedback.

I'm sure that despite the wheel issue, you are going to have as much enjoyment with your van as we are having with ours - we only picked it up on Thursday and are still in a dreamlike state, which I am assured lasts for some time!!
        Yvonne

Comment

Thanks for that. I have no idea what type of back I have raked or not. Either way I was not given the option, but to have to carry the spare wheel around in the above cab space is just not on, there is no room behind the passenger seat either as the thing is just soooo big. Can see me leaving it at home which rather defeats the purpose of having a spare. I think there may be space under and behind the rear bumper, anyone have any ideas of how I can go about geting this checked out? ps. believe it is full size not spacesaver as it is so big.
          Last edited by blondie; 19-03-2011, 00:07.

Comment

Blondie

The standard R25 rear is as the photo. Have not seen a "raked back", but on the photo, below the toilet cassette locker, the spare wheel is behind the hinged black shiny flap. The flap is locked in place by two bolts underneath it. At least that's where my spare is, full sized.

Tony Anchorman
            Attached Files
            Last edited by anchorman; 19-03-2011, 01:49.

Comment

Don't leave your spare tyre at home, Blondie! Sods law says you'll need it if you don't take it!

I know my little Roma was rather different, but my spare wheel didn't have a place to stow. It sat on the floor under the table until I got where I was going, pitched up then I pulled it out and chucked it underneath the van/in the awning. If I went out for the day anywhere I took it with me. I know its a compromise, but perhaps you could try it this way.

The only other thing I could think of was to fix it onto the front of the van with something resembling a bull bar, like the large 4x4s have.

Comment

Thanks for all your help, have checked the under toilet position and it looks unlikely as the bar holding the offside rear steady looks as though it would prevent the spare from sloting into position. I do have the shower option so maybe that is what is causing the problem.

Comment

Blondie

Nothing to do with shower option, as I have that too.
                  In the picture the silver bar to the left holds the wheel in place and can be removed. The two holes in the edge of the flap are the securing bolt locations. Yours maybe totally different?

Tony Anchorman
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by anchorman; 20-03-2011, 19:28.

Comment

I have the same issue as Blondie. I was given to understand that the 'only' option for storing the spare wheel with the latest model [picked mine up in April] is in the 'luton'. So I keep mine in the garden shed.

Comment

Isn't it ridiculous!! Mine spends its life in the garage. Just hope I never need it. When I queeried its home in the Luton with Romahome, this is precisely what they advised. Wonder if I should leave it there if my planed trip to Europe comes off next year? So much for write-ups!

Comment

Having had experience of blowouts both here and in France please, please take your spare with you. On both occasions it was late at night and the tyres were beyond repair. We would have either been stuck or had to pay a fortune to replace.

Peter

Comment

My CI Esprit caravan came with a spare wheel that I always kept just inside the door for easy access whilst travelling and I stored it under the caravan when pitched. After 5 years of doing this I had a puncture and guess what, it didn't fit my van! Haven't carried one since.

Peter

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X