Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire extinguisher in R20 lo

Hi,

Manual recommends 2 Kg dry powder fire extinguisher. But where and how should it be located.

Regards

Jim

mine is at the toilet end just against the back of the gas locker

kyran

Comment

Originally posted by kyran View Post
      mine is at the toilet end just against the back of the gas locker

kyran
      A good suggestion, somewhere within easy reach of the cooker, as I guess you would be most likely to use it on / near the cooker, across the footwell from the cooker, of course. Maybe using it could buy you some crucial time. Sensible precautions when cooking should minimise the risk of fire there. So no cooking chips in hot oil, no leaning over bare flames with loose clothing.

Other possible causes of fire within the campervan could be cigarettes and candles, the latter IMHO being too risky to use anyway. Smokers are well aware of the risks linked to smouldering cigarette stubs.

I suppose the other possible source of fire might be the engine, in which case you might consider having an appropriate extinguisher somewhere in the front of the vehicle?

However, in the event of fire, it is much more important to GET OUT OF THE VAN AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN! Fires can get out of control horribly easily.

The van and contents are covered by insurance. Lives are much more important.

Incidentally, our Mezan came with an extinguisher fastened with clips on the luton, a more inaccessible place I cannot imagine! So we have removed it altogether.
      Last edited by NomadSue; 14-05-2017, 21:28.
      Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Mine travels in a corner of a cupboard, and sits by the back door when sited.

Comment

We have removed ours, it was out of date anyway.

Camping and Caravanning Club assured me it wasn't essential as far as the insurance was concerned, just advisable to carry one.

However, I second what Sue says. If there's a fire I'm out of there. My pride and joy will have to cope.

Our extinguisher, in any case, was in a totally inaccessible place. Fixed in such tight holders that I wasn't strong enough to remove it and my husband had to do it and even he struggled. It was tucked very neatly and very firmly behind the passenger seat and to access it we would have had to fold and lift the seat completely out of the way to get to it but then the angle was so ridiculous you couldn't get a good grip and pull on it.

Comment

An R20 or Hytop's pelmet is wide enough for a 2k dry extinguisher so ours sits at the end, closest to the loo in easy reach of the cooker. Next to it is a fire blanket and clipped on the pelmet in front of them a carbon monoxide detector.

Like everyone else I suspect we'd run before using them.

I keep meaning to replace our extinguisher as it is a year out of date. I plan to use the old one for practice so we at least know what to do should we ever need to.

Comment

By the back door seems most sensible as you then automatically have a clear escape route.
              A related question would be how fireproof are these motorhomes? I know that regulations for fire retardant materials​ in the home have been steadily improved over the years.
              I remember many years ago seeing a Reliant Robin catch fire and the plastic bits disappear in a puff of smoke.
              Sesquipedalianism:-The overusage of long words.

Comment

Glass fibre burns like petrol-soaked newspaper. OK that is an exaggeration, but it does burn very well indeed.
                Using the full load of a powder extinguisher will write off the motorhome anyway, as the powder gets absolutely everywhere and if you did douse the burning sausages under the grill and retain the structure of the motorhome you would never be able to get rid of the powder.
                Some of you have mentioned your extinguisher being out of date so you will get a new one. I found an old one, three years out of date in my garage. I have a new one in the motorhome so I decided to see if the three years out of date one would still work. Outside in the garden I squeezed the trigger for about one second. The driveway, the flowers, the trees and the garden fence all went white. The powder covers everything within a 20ft radius. It's quite fun and spectacular! Six months later the white was still there in places. The out of date ones will still work. They behave like aerosols. Suppose you do have sausages on fire under the grill, you probably would point the extinguisher at them and put them out, let go of the trigger and then the extinguisher will stop spraying the powder out. Then at least you could wait half an hour for the dust to settle, get a dust pan and brush and sweep up a lot of the mess, and still sleep in the camper, so I guess that would be better than just running away and watching it burn to the ground.
                My Rapido comes with a powder extinguisher clipped to the door pillar at the base, by the side of the driver's seat. The theory is that it is closest to the driver which makes sense to me. If I were to have an engine fire, or indeed a living area fire while I was driving, I could stop and grab the extinguisher on the way out. If a cooking thing caught fire I would have to get out, open the drivers door and get the extinguisher. Thinking about it, aren't most motorhome hobs and cooking appliances near to the exit door? I can't think of one with a cooker some way away.
                If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. Mark ch3 v24

Comment

'Glass fibre burns like petrol-soaked newspaper'
                  I believe this is only partially true as there are various grp products with varying fire resistance depending the resin used. Some caravan manufacturers use this as a selling point.
                  The question is what do Romahome use?
                  Sesquipedalianism:-The overusage of long words.

Comment

I would second the theory in a fire "bail out".
                    However do check your insurance docs - I think you will find the Adrian Flux insurance demand 2 onboard fire extinguishers. - They did last year anyway.
                    If you have a small fire - powder and foam fire extinguishers make an awful mess - so a fire blanket is probably a good option ours is by the door - handy for kitchen etc.
                    I try to carry the second in the cab area - you never know when a small electrical fire may occur in the engine bay - a small foam extinguisher may save you a fortune and a deal of trouble.
                    Jon

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
                      My Rapido comes with a powder extinguisher clipped to the door pillar at the base, by the side of the driver's seat. The theory is that it is closest to the driver which makes sense to me. If I were to have an engine fire, or indeed a living area fire while I was driving, I could stop and grab the extinguisher on the way out. If a cooking thing caught fire I would have to get out, open the drivers door and get the extinguisher. Thinking about it, aren't most motorhome hobs and cooking appliances near to the exit door? I can't think of one with a cooker some way away.
                      I agree with all you said there - The exception to this is the new and largely unseen Romahome D20 this has the kitchen area at the Luton end of the van.
                      Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jondxxx View Post
                        'Glass fibre burns like petrol-soaked newspaper'
                        I believe this is only partially true as there are various grp products with varying fire resistance depending the resin used. Some caravan manufacturers use this as a selling point.
                        The question is what do Romahome use?
                        Take a good long look at this and ask yourself what your little powder extinguisher would do to help.The only sensible thing is to get out and get well away, remember fuel tanks and gas bottles and Tyres explode.
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zSjZVlnKHg

That black smoke is deadly poisonous and the fire is at the rear of the vehicle.

GasGas is correct.
                        Last edited by Ian.C.S; 15-05-2017, 12:04.
                        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

My Dutton kit car would have been a pile of ash if I had not made an attempt to extinguish the engine fire that I had. There was no way that I was going to spectate as two years of hard work disappeared forever. For me, if there is a reasonable likelihood of putting a fire out without getting severely injured, then I will give it a go. I could not live with myself otherwise.

Tony

Comment

That video Ian posted is interesting. It reminded me that modern Motorhomes and caravans have gas regulators which shut off if they detect an uncontrolled gas flow through them. If you looked over half way through that video you would have seen and heard the gas escaping and burning in a jet flame under the RV. I think if I were a fire attendant I would want a remote controlled hose and jet which would allow me to stay behind the fire engine and direct the spray at the vehicle, because if a gas bottle does explode instead of releasing the gas in a controlled manner it would be a place I would not want to be near.
                            Yes, as has been said, use a fire blanket for a pan fire, and if you have an engine fire don't open the bonnet, direct the spray under the front bumper. If an engine fire can be put out you might save the vehicle as it will be wires and hoses that burn, which can be replaced. However, anything more than a burning fag paper is likely to end in termination of the vehicle. . . . . . of course if your vehicle had been giving you trouble, just run away and claim the insurance.

And thanks jon, that is useful. I must admit to not having read each of the 36 pages of light grey 8 font text on a grey background paper of my insurance. Out of interest does Adrian Flux make that point clear when you take out the insurance or is it Idea No. 38275 of the list of 'How To Avoid Paying Out' things?
                            If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. Mark ch3 v24

Comment

`

Originally posted by gasgas View Post

And thanks jon, that is useful. I must admit to not having read each of the 36 pages of light grey 8 font text on a grey background paper of my insurance. Out of interest does Adrian Flux make that point clear when you take out the insurance or is it Idea No. 38275 of the list of 'How To Avoid Paying Out' things?
                              Adrian Flux's rep on the phone did make it clear to me, but he was very helpful and we were discussing a conversion. He appeared to assume any factory built camper van / motorhome would have the fire extinguishers fitted as standard. You know what insurance companies are like, probably removing an extinguisher fitted by the converter would make the van "a modified vehicle" - The weight removal increases top speed by 0.001MPH
                              Ironically both the conversions I have done have arrived as disability minibuses fitted with 2 fire extinguishers - one by the driver's seat the other by the rear doors.
                              Jon

Comment