Fire extinguisher in R20 lo

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • llywelyn1984
    Diamond Poster
    • Aug 2015

Mine hangs just to the side of the cooker within easy reach. I have a fire blanket by the back door. I think I'd reach for the blanket fire before the extinguisher. I have a smoke alarm in the van and a co2 detector.
    Smoke alarm usually tells me if something is going wrong...it would be so easy to be outside when something starts going wrong...
    I try to cook outside if I can but this isn't always possible.
    I would say smoker alarm and fire blanket are essential. Then fire entinguisher.

Comment

• kernowjon
      Diamond Poster
      • Jan 2017

Time for a little anecdote - the last Renault Trafic - a home conversion I had one fire extinguisher by the drivers seat the original location and one in the back near the doors - almost original location. I found a third amongst my bits and was going to install near the kitchen / side door. "Oh no says Sandra 2 are enough." The evening before we are going off to a rally (first trip away in that van) Sandra's fence catches fire!
      The next morning am instructed to fit 3rd extinguisher - she then proceeds to buy a fire blanket :wink:
      The ways and mind of the opposite sex are at times totally inexplicable!:blank:
      Jon
      Dirty Diesel Driver - a hypocrite who knows THERE IS NO PLANET B

Comment

• NomadSue
        Diamond Poster
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by kernowjon View Post
        The ways and mind of the opposite sex are at times totally inexplicable!:blank:
        Jon
        Oh no they're not! We are a totally logical sex. Perhaps we just think a little differently at times!
        Carpe diem! :)

Comment

• gasgas
          Diamond Geezer
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by NomadSue View Post
          Oh no they're not! We are a totally logical sex. Perhaps we just think a little differently at times!
          Yes, exactly. Like the time my father asked my mother where the bread knife was. 'In the oven'.
          The willing man will find a way.

Comment

• NomadSue
            Diamond Poster
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
            Yes, exactly. Like the time my father asked my mother where the bread knife was. 'In the oven'.
            This afternoon i was so convinced that I had left my favourite flowery jacket at the cafe where we had lunch, that we actually rang the cafe to see if they had found it. No. So I then double checked everywhere I had been in the house since coming back from the cafe ...twice... and discovered the jacket hanging up in the kitchen where the cooking aprons and bag of carrier bags hang.

To explain, we had also bought a big carrier bag of peas and I proclaimed the bag to be to good to be recycled for general use, deserving to be used in the campervan. Evidently my brain decided hanging my jacket on the same peg as the bag of carrier bags was the necessary action to take, instead of in hcorrect cupboard. Er?????

Even I fail to understand my logic at times!

As for trying to remember the revised dosage for my blood pressure medicine ... no chance!
            Last edited by NomadSue; 15-05-2017, 20:33.

Comment

• gasgas
              Diamond Geezer
              • Mar 2011

Well on our cruise to Norway I bought a fancy Norwegian waterproof jacket with hood. It was Royal Blue with a Norway flag on the breast. It was in a 'half price sale', at £60. Two weeks after we got home I couldn't find it.
              I still can't. It's not in the oven or with the stash of carrier bags next to the fridge.

Comment

• NomadSue
                Diamond Poster
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
                Well on our cruise to Norway I bought a fancy Norwegian waterproof jacket with hood. It was Royal Blue with a Norway flag on the breast. It was in a 'half price sale', at £60. Two weeks after we got home I couldn't find it.
                I still can't. It's not in the oven or with the stash of carrier bags next to the fridge.
                Have you looked in the attic, near the old suitcases / photo frames / unused camping gear / boxes of unsorted old documents / photos etc?

Or even by your fire extinguisher? (She says, returning neatly to the topic of this thread. )

Comment

• gasgas
                  Diamond Geezer
                  • Mar 2011

Yes, but it wouldn't be somewhere I hadn't been in the two weeks between returning home and not being able to find it. I have even searched the local charity shops for it and a fire extinguisher, so as not to be off topic

Comment

• jimleigh
                    Newbie Poster
                    • Nov 2016

Originally posted by kernowjon View Post
                    I would second the theory in a fire "bail out".
                    However do check your insurance docs - I think you will find the Adrian Flux insurance demand 2 onboard fire extinguishers. - They did last year anyway.
                    If you have a small fire - powder and foam fire extinguishers make an awful mess - so a fire blanket is probably a good option ours is by the door - handy for kitchen etc.
                    I try to carry the second in the cab area - you never know when a small electrical fire may occur in the engine bay - a small foam extinguisher may save you a fortune and a deal of trouble.
                    Jon
                    I just got a very competitive quote from Adrian Flux, but the rep definitely advised the insurance was only valid with a 2 Kg dry powder extinguisher on board. It is a shame they insist on 2 Kg, as a 1 Kg extinguisher would fit in a lot more places. Still trying to find the best location as I do want to drill into the GRP.

Regards

Jim Leigh

Comment

• SandraM
                      Diamond Poster
                      • Sep 2016

Originally posted by jimleigh View Post
                      I just got a very competitive quote from Adrian Flux, but the rep definitely advised the insurance was only valid with a 2 Kg dry powder extinguisher on board. It is a shame they insist on 2 Kg, as a 1 Kg extinguisher would fit in a lot more places. Still trying to find the best location as I do want to drill into the GRP.

Regards

Jim Leigh
                      The size may have been why ours was put in such an inaccessible place Jim by a previous owner. The metal holders were screwed through the base of the seat and obviously they didn't want the fixings on show. Not a lot of good if you can't get to it in an emergency though. Still, if they were insured with a company like A.F. who insisted a 2 K one was on board then they had fulfilled the requirement whether they could get to it or not.

There must have been a smaller one in ours originally as the fitment is still there by the sink. I managed to roll the fire blanket up tightly and it sits neatly in the holder readily available (if I was brave enough to grab it instead of bailing out that is)

Comment

• kernowjon
                        Diamond Poster
                        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by NomadSue View Post
                        Sue I think we agree - logical to a woman is logical to a woman: logical to a man is logical to a man. The problem arises logical to a woman is not always logical to a man: logical to a man is not always logical to a woman!
                        None of which solves the location of GasGas's missing jacket

Comment

• llywelyn1984
                          Diamond Poster
                          • Aug 2015

2kg is overkill to me...if the fire is that big you shouldn't be tackling it. Plus is means that you have to store it somewhere inaccessible and in a fire situation speed and calm are the required attributes, not faffing about in a locker or under a seat.
                          I drilled a bracket to the top molded cupboard above the cooker on the side facing the drivers seat.

Comment

• gasgas
                            Diamond Geezer
                            • Mar 2011

That requirement to have a 2kg extinguisher smacks to me of a way to relieve themselves of paying out in a claim. As you say it is overkill and any fire that required a 2kg powder extinguisher would be terminal. I think they are relying on customers not reading the small print, as they already know that new motorhomes are supplied with a 1kg extinguisher.

Comment

• kernowjon
                              Diamond Poster
                              • Jan 2017

Before we all completely slag off Adrian Flux, I think we ought to double check. Jim Leigh heard one thing "One two g extinguisher". When I was insured with them I am sure that I was told. "Two fire extinguishers" - I do not think I still have my AF policy - I will look.
                              2 extinguishers makes sense to me - one up front one near the kitchen / back door.

Although I do agree it gives the insurer a convenient get out!

I found insurance docs from AF it only says - endorcement 8 . 1 "efficient fire extinguisher" So maybe both Jim and I have heard advisors interpretation of "efficient" - it may be worth asking for clarrifacation of the word efficient if you have a Trinity Lane Policy through Adrian Flux!
                              Jon
                              Last edited by kernowjon; 16-05-2017, 19:51. Reason: additional information after searching emails

Comment

• gasgas
                                Diamond Geezer
                                • Mar 2011

I've just noticed my fire extinguisher in my kitchen at home. It is a 1kg powder one, and it is about twice the size of the one in the motorhome. I dread to think of the size of a 2kg one.
                                I would like to think that someone has mis-heard something, and that it is OK to have just the one provided by the manufacturer.
                                Having said all that I notice that my Rapido does not come with a fire blanket, which would be the first thing to use if you burnt the dinner.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X