Engine Size - does it make a difference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Size - does it make a difference

Hi there - not officially a Romahomer ... yet! Looking for our first campervan and can't see past the Romahome High top/Hylo top. We've seen that you can get a 1.8 engine and, not as often, a 1.9. Does anyone know if there's a noticeable difference? Also, our budget isn't huge - around £4,000 - so if anyone knows of a van looking for a home, that too would be helpful. We are in Scotland but would be prepared to travel say about 300 miles to view!!! With thanks for any comments/advice/general contact :-)

Hello Moragh and welcome

There are more and more vans being offered now as the season starts. We've had a few recently but they weren't in your budget unfortunately.

There have been a few on Ebay recently. Just be very careful about reading the spec. and if you need help just comer and ask

Comment

Hi Moragh, welcome to the forum. The best places I have found are 1. Watch EBay - sometimes the right van comes up. 2. Do a daily search on GumTree if you put in a 300 or 250 mile radius for your search you will find the right van.

My advice is get it right and get it right first time around. Me and my partner have built and restored a number of vans which have succumbed to rust or other problems (hard to get parts due to age Renault Trafic series 1 and facelift also avoid any LDVs - parts are a problem and Bedford CF for the same reason). So do your research - you are in the right place.

We now have a Romahome Demountable - the rationale is although there is some work to do, if a new base vehicle was needed it can be done with ease in a day. The drawback of the demountable is size internal excluding overcab luton 8ft by just over 4 ft. Cramped to say the least. Height too high to get into carparks with height barriers. The Romahome demountable is usually on a minitruck - the large engine is 1300cc Suzuki SuperCarry, Daihatsu HiJet, Bedford Rascal possibly a DFSK- the smallest a sub 600cc Honda.

Know what you want, what your skills are as far as DiY goes - because with your budget it will need some work at some time.

Jon
      Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
      https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

Comment

Regarding engine size. On a van for around £4000 the bigger issue is whether the engine has been maintained properly. You'll be looking at an older van based on a C15 but for £4000 you should be able to find a decent one. I took a bit of a punt on an ebay C15 Roma hilo which I got for £2000. Outside, it's cosmetically not great and it clearly had been standing for some time so needed a new battery and starter motor, but the engine has been good. The van cruises at 70mph no problem and will do a fair bit faster... it's a 1.8 litre. If you look through older threads on here you'll see examples of older romahomes which struggle to get past 55-60mph. That indicates some kind of engine fault or simply that that engine has been so well used that a significant number of horses have escaped.

Looks for evidence of regular maintenance and servicing. Go on a test drive and see how well it pulls up steep hills. Don'y worry too much about engine size.

Comment

Have you looked on http://www.newsnow.co.uk/classifieds ? They repost advertisements from other sources including ebay and Gumtree.

Today there were three Romahome C15s listed (£2200 to £5000) and a Peugeot Boxer 2 berth probably self converted to a Camper van for £3600 which might be of interest.

As already advised you do need to be careful with older campers. Rust can be terminal or at least very expensive to repair in C15 and other vans too. Have a search through the posts here to get an idea of what to look for in C15 Romahomes.

The V5 should show "Motor Caravan" as the body type. If a converted panel van is still shown as a van you may have to pay more for insurance and the lower speed limits will apply. Even professional converters sometimes did not have the log book (V5) changed in the past.

It can be difficult to find the perfect van. Apart from sifting out the rubbish you may not know what layout will best suit you until you have some experience so it's worth looking at vans in dealers to get some idea of what you might be comfortable living with.

Comment

Originally posted by Misted View Post
            Have you looked on http://www.newsnow.co.uk/classifieds ? They repost advertisements from other sources including ebay and Gumtree.

Today there were three Romahome C15s listed (£2200 to £5000) and a Peugeot Boxer 2 berth probably self converted to a Camper van for £3600 which might be of interest.

As already advised you do need to be careful with older campers. Rust can be terminal or at least very expensive to repair in C15 and other vans too. Have a search through the posts here to get an idea of what to look for in C15 Romahomes.

The V5 should show "Motor Caravan" as the body type. If a converted panel van is still shown as a van you may have to pay more for insurance and the lower speed limits will apply. Even professional converters sometimes did not have the log book (V5) changed in the past.

It can be difficult to find the perfect van. Apart from sifting out the rubbish you may not know what layout will best suit you until you have some experience so it's worth looking at vans in dealers to get some idea of what you might be comfortable living with.
            It the V5 still shows pick up or similar, as mine did, it's free to get it changed, even after 18 years.

Comment

Thank you all for your posts - very useful facts and advice. All appreciated ..... :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Traveller26 View Post
                It the V5 still shows pick up or similar, as mine did, it's free to get it changed, even after 18 years.
                Yes you are right but it can still be worrying if you have not experienced the situation before.

It could be awkward or worse if what you have just bought does not comply with the list of requirements used by DVLA to decide whether your new precious possession will be a silk purse or a pig's ear! Those requirements can be found here:
                https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...-motorhome.pdf

My professionally converted van was covered by the C&CC's broker although at the point of arranging the insurance they had not referred to their rule of only insuring "motor caravans". Having parted with the cash and received paperwork I was then told I must get DVLA to change the V5 log book within 6 weeks or go elsewhere. I was able to find a review of my van by MMM and bought a copy from Warners. I presented this with an explanatory letter and photographs of the van to DVLA and received a new V5 very quickly.

Sadly we cannot safely assume that all insurance broker's staff have the necessary training or experience to answer enquiries appropriately

Comment

A few pictures of the Romahome and they were happy.
                  The new V5 arrived about a week later.

Comment

I have reregistered a couple of minibuses I converted in to Camper vans. I have to say following the instructions on the dvla website and with a bit of basic common sense I found the process easy.

Take at least 1 photo showing a part of the interior and the number plate. I took 2 of the bed (one down and one in seat mode). At least 2 of the kitchen (covers down over sink and hob another covers up. A view from front to rear of the van interior and another rear to front. Write on the back of each photograph, what the picture shows. Don't forget to show the clothes storage and the table (which should be attached to the van). I also included supplementary photos showing water tank, leisure battery and also a shot from above showing the solar panel and roof lights The roof shot I took from far enough away that the number plate was visible. The more evidence you provide the easier it is for them to come to a quick decision - I laid cups and plates on the table for effect!

I hope that this helps.

Jon
                    Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
                    https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

Comment