Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project - The van with no name ..... yet !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Jon & JayJay, the adhesive I used was a Spanish version of something similar to "No More Nails". I don't have the tubes anymore but it set to a resin like texture and was recommended to have a curing period of 24 hours, hence the need for the struts and retaining plank.

A very good point Jon re saving the original ply to use as templates, the original ply is only about 2-3 mm thick, had I been replacing it for new I would not have gone thicker than 4 mm, beyond this, as I recall you have first hand experience, the ply does not flex sufficiently to mould into the curve of the pod ceiling shell causing a few problems with it staying in the air !
    Btw Jon, thanks for the link for rear light clusters, I've sourced a replacement, but not identical set locally so will be sticking with them for now but I'll hang onto the link if I find some time to revisit that job

JayJay, re the rear ceiling light, I'm only 5'8 tall so don't have a particular problem with standing up in the galley end, however the original strip light has been replaced with a unit that uses a 21 watt auto bulb (stop/indicator), the one at the luton end, I've replaced with a new 8w strip light situated forward of the skylight and positioned across the pod, hopefully the attached photo shows it reasonably well.

camper new ceiling.JPG

I'm hoping to get a suitable LED replacement bulb for the galley end from somewhere out here.

Regards

Graham.

Comment

its worth considering LED strip lights as the use a fraction of the power that auto bulbs or strip lights use but can be brighter (if you want them to be) very useful if you are on leisure battery power

Comment

So while I'm on a bit of a roll with the updates, here's how I tackled the removal and fitting of a pair of new skylights.

The old original units were in dire need of replacing so whilst we (Rose) was sweet talking our new friend Jose' Luis at "Surcaravaning" in Estepona, into a bit of discount on the side windows she got to work on doing the same for a set of new Thule skylights.

Sure enough a week or so later they arrived, thankfully the boxes were small enough to pack away in the boot of the car so customs were none the wiser.

First job, drill out all the rivets and lift out the old unit, peeling off some of the silicone sealant, easy peasy.
        Then I measured how much space I could make between the new units as I want to eventually fit as big a solar panel up there as possible, having calculated where to cut I got to work chain drilling around the pencil marks until I had the correct size hole.
        For the second unit I jerry rigged a cutting disc to a battery powered drill, ( we can't get mains eleccy to where the van is parked, so its battery tools or elbow grease) and cut through not only the pod shell but there was also enough reach on the disc to open up the new ceiling liner aperture at the same time, much quicker and neater than chain drilling.
        We used a sealant putty rather than silicone to waterproof the flanges, as advised by the supplier, again I don't think there is much to choose between putty and silicone, just a personal preference really.

camper disc cutter.JPG

After this it was a case of fettling out the aperture to ensure the correct fit and then assembling the new units as per the instructions, which incidentally had to be downloaded from the internet.

The units went together quickly and easily, and as with the window units, they come with a fly screen and blackout blind.

After giving the roof a good scrub down it all looked very smart ..... until Barry the seagull took a giant poop on it

here's the finished job.

camper new front skylight.JPG camper new rear skylight.JPG

Regards

Graham
        Last edited by Tigerfish; 05-07-2017, 13:47.

Comment

I got the sides to stick with "Sticks like S*t" from screwfix.
          Going to try the first Roof panel tonight. Using Roller poles from B&Q to hold them in place should help!

Originally posted by Tigerfish View Post
          Hi Jon & JayJay, the adhesive I used was a Spanish version of something similar to "No More Nails". I don't have the tubes anymore but it set to a resin like texture and was recommended to have a curing period of 24 hours, hence the need for the struts and retaining plank.

A very good point Jon re saving the original ply to use as templates, the original ply is only about 2-3 mm thick, had I been replacing it for new I would not have gone thicker than 4 mm, beyond this, as I recall you have first hand experience, the ply does not flex sufficiently to mould into the curve of the pod ceiling shell causing a few problems with it staying in the air !
          Btw Jon, thanks for the link for rear light clusters, I've sourced a replacement, but not identical set locally so will be sticking with them for now but I'll hang onto the link if I find some time to revisit that job

JayJay, re the rear ceiling light, I'm only 5'8 tall so don't have a particular problem with standing up in the galley end, however the original strip light has been replaced with a unit that uses a 21 watt auto bulb (stop/indicator), the one at the luton end, I've replaced with a new 8w strip light situated forward of the skylight and positioned across the pod, hopefully the attached photo shows it reasonably well.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14209[/ATTACH]

I'm hoping to get a suitable LED replacement bulb for the galley end from somewhere out here.

Regards

Graham.

Comment

Excellent. Jealous? Moi??????

Comment

Good luck John, let us all know how it goes

Comment

So by way of a quick update, progress so far since the ceiling liners went in are, the electrics have all been replaced in the pod, the luton area has been stripped of it's lining and and relined with the same material as the living area ceiling, a new twin burner stainless steel hobb has been fitted, Rose has made replacement cupboard doors for the galley that look great and are much lighter than the originals, the galley also has a new ceramic tiled finish on both sides and we have repainted the front and rear bumpers.
                We like the finish on the bumpers so much that we (i) am going to strip out the dashboard (again) and refurbish it with a grey version of the paint we used on the bumpers which should vastly improve the interior look of the cab.
                It is slowly but surely coming together !

Comment

Nice to see your progress, Tigerfish!

Comment