As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Probably Preaching To The Converted.(Re Avon Motor Caravans))

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably Preaching To The Converted.(Re Avon Motor Caravans))

Hello All. Please bear with my short but heartwarming story.

Early last summer we decided to buy a Romahome. After some research we decided that rather than a new one we wanted a low mileage recent 90 Bhp 800 Kg Hylo. Hens teeth is the phrase that springs to mind. Anyway while working down a list of dealers we came across this chap named "Ant" down Bristol way. He was unable to help us with a van of the spec we wanted but we were very pleasantly surprised by the time he took to advise us on the best way forward and the possible pitfalls that we may encounter.

We eventually located a van in Kent, did a deal and Bob's your uncle.

This month van due first Mot and service so after looking at the perceived knowledge on this forum we thought our best bet may be a trip to the afore mentioned Ant and get the full nine yards, Mot, service and habitation. I had spoken to several more local Motorhome dealers with my requirements and yes they all wanted to become my new best friend, for give or take several hundreds of pounds.

To hell with it, lets go with my gut feeling and have a weekend down Bristol way, so booked into Avon and also to Baltic Wharf site and off we trot.

Turn up at Avon, little chat about van, ask Ant to give it full going over, so that I will have full confidence in the vehicle (talk about a blank cheque) and we are given a nice Berlingo and advised where we could spend a very nice day. went away and had a very nice day. Got back about 16-00 hrs full of trepidation about the forth coming assault on my bank balance. Ant briefly takes me through the state of play, confirming what I had hoped, that it was a sound buy, he does not mock me too much about being a balloon and running the front tyres too hard, then presents me with a bill that takes me so much by surprise that I blurt out "is this the total bill". How the devil has it all been done for that amount. Relatively straight forward really, if you really know your subject well and are as straight as a dye then you only do what needs to be done. I thought ethics like this were long gone.

Now before anyone thinks that I am his dad or any such like, let me assure you that I am a cynical tight Geordie git now living in Lincoln, and while I am quick to complain when its wrong, I feel I most compliment when its right, and this was outstandingly so.

The president is set now, first big trip of the year is down to the west country to get the season of to the right and proper start.

Geoff.

Hello Geoff

We are doing exactly the same thing as you have done except booking into Baltic Wharf (how on earth did you manage to get a pitch there?).

Up until a few years ago we used to have our van serviced and MoT'd by the Citroen dealer local to us but after not being happy with the service we got (not to mention the astronomical price) we decided to give Ant a try after hearing really good reports.

Well goodness me we travelled down to Bristol had a service and habitation check, borrowed his Berlingo and had a nice day out in Bristol and the whole cost including petrol to Bristol and back, two nights camping and even a meal out, was still considerably less than we had paid Citroen main dealer the year before! So we make the same trip every year now and I quite agree Ant only does what is necessary and is as straight as a dye.

You are right we are converted but it is good to let other people know what good service they are missing out on.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by macamxth1st View Post

Now before anyone thinks that I am his dad or any such like,
      The way we sing his praises anyone might think I'm his mum (or preferrably big sister ) but no, we are just really satisfied customers and like Graham says we have a good trip included plus a nice chat with Ant and Pam and a good read of his magazines

Comment

We'll be drinking his coffee next month on the annual going over.
        Don't praise him too much he might start charging the proper prices!

Tony Anchorman

Comment

I first met Ant about 2 years ago, when we drove into his site,looking for a small motorhome for me, the first thing he said to me was 'he was going to see first of all if I was going to be able to drive one, off we went with him driving, then at the given time I had to get in the drivers seat, and then horror of horrors was instructed to drive down a country lane with comments coming from Ant such as 'perhaps you will be lucky to having a tractor coming the other way' thank goodness one didn't. I must have passed the test because I was allowed to buy the hylo. I have lost count of the emails I have sent him and the trips I have made to Bristol, but he always sorted my problems out. The first week of April I shall be having my new R20 and I can't wait. Hopefully Ant will have a bit of peace from me now.

Comment

The converted

Yes, you are preaching ................
            I bought a motor from Ant, on recommendation from others.
            One word of advice - Stop shopping around for the cheap deal and put your faith in The Ant Man

Comment

Arr... such kind words!
              I'm so pleased the little spell I learnt still seems to be working!!
              Ant

Comment

I did not buy an expensive Romahome off of Ant, just a fairly priced demountable Pod to fit my Suzuki Carry pick-up, so I won’t need to go back and get anything serviced or repaired but I found Ant to be a real Honest and Helpful guy.

I met him at the Shepton Mallet Show and told him what I was looking for and he told me about the Pod he had taken in. When he got back from the show he e-mailed me photos of it.

I picked it up on a trailer and loaded it with his help and brought it home.
                He also gave me a couple of old steps that were useful with the pod.

I have since been in touch with him several times about little queries and each time he has got straight back to me with help and information.

Although he is not making anything from me I am sure he is just glad to be of help and maintain the brilliant reputation he has built up with his customers.

There are some good people out there !

Comment

Feel I must add my 2 pennorth here - we have almost bought from Ant twice, but for reasons too longwinded to go into here, ended up buying elsewhere ( absolutely NOTHING to do with Ant ). He was an absolute gentleman about it all, and still speaks to me, I cannot rate him highly enough.

Comment

Lincoln, 'HYLO'

4Hi ! MACAMXth 1st.
                    I'm also a 'Macam git' living in Lincoln, with two HYLOS.
                    Maybe we could meet up some time? Hey! one thing though,I don't we can qualify as to being 'Geordies'

Comment

Originally posted by Arakhne View Post
                      4Hi ! MACAMXth 1st.
                      I'm also a 'Macam git' living in Lincoln, with two HYLOS.
                      Maybe we could meet up some time? Hey! one thing though,I don't we can qualify as to being 'Geordies'
                      Of course you are completely correct but it's just a bit easier for the "Great unwashed masses" to get their head round.

Geoff.

Comment

The wild one.

Yes you correct, ant havs been fantastic and helped me alot nice honest and very helpfull.:so happy:
                        Originally posted by Donk's Dad View Post
                        I did not buy an expensive Romahome off of Ant, just a fairly priced demountable Pod to fit my Suzuki Carry pick-up, so I won’t need to go back and get anything serviced or repaired but I found Ant to be a real Honest and Helpful guy.

I met him at the Shepton Mallet Show and told him what I was looking for and he told me about the Pod he had taken in. When he got back from the show he e-mailed me photos of it.

I picked it up on a trailer and loaded it with his help and brought it home.
                        He also gave me a couple of old steps that were useful with the pod.

I have since been in touch with him several times about little queries and each time he has got straight back to me with help and information.

Although he is not making anything from me I am sure he is just glad to be of help and maintain the brilliant reputation he has built up with his customers.

There are some good people out there !
                        Roger Green.Roger Green.

Comment

I must jump on this bandwagon.

In brief.

Met Ant a few years ago at the NEC. Chatted, ended up with the both of us lying underneath an R20 looking at the routing of plumbing waste pipes and how the shower tray was fitted. I told Ant I was a Romahome Wannabe as I wanted to sell my business first (Still am), gave him my business card which went into his wallet.

I went back to the NEC 12 months later, saw Ant, chatted, he remembered me, went into his wallet - card still there.

Overall - fantastic impression. Ant will be my first port of call when I'm able to move on this.

Regards,

Neil.
                          Last edited by Brougham; 21-06-2011, 22:37.

Comment

We collect our first Romahome (R20 Hilo) from Ant next Friday. Never met the man before we did the deal but he and his wife, and the man that works there were a delight. No pressure, informative, knowledgeable, pleasant, flexible, took our car in part ex and when the car didn't make what I expected, dropped the price of the camper van to meet me half way.
                            He sounds like a god when you read this forum. Am I relieved or what? I'm confident that if we have problems with our purchase that Ant will deal with us fairly, and I'm happy with that.
                            Only 7 sleeps to go!!!
                            :jump for joy:Jimish

Comment

Where are you?

Hello, Pilgrim.
                              Like you, I live in Lincoln. But, where are you exactly?

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X