New here and considering purchase of a C15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Misted View Post
    One Peugeot 504 we had did about 250k miles before it was traded in.
    A minor correction, I meant to write 405!

We did have a 504 but it was not one of those referred to in the post as it had a different (not XUD series) 2 litre petrol engine. A good big estate car but sadly the body was not as durable as the mechanicals and we traded it in for a younger but much less sensible car.

Comment

c15 romahome

Originally posted by Pandabloke View Post
      Hi there. My C15 has a bed extension from the factory. I assume they all came with it, but I'm not sure. Slide both the front seats forward and then look at the front of the seating in the living area either side. There should be a recess maybe 7 inches long on either side on top of the fibreglass lockers where a bed extension should slot in across the width of the van. It gives that extra few inches that a six footer like me needs. The bed extension is probably lurking in the Luton area.

Engines are old fashioned diesels, 1.8 and later 1.9 (if you can find one) and will go to the moon and back while still returning 40 to the gallon at least. Chassis rust is the thing to look at most. Most exterior metal panels are still available at a cost or second hand, but some structural panels are nearly impossible to source, so if you prang it big style, you might not be able to repair it.

You can look up any MOT history of any vehicle on a DVLA website, back as far as 2006. Just google something like 'vehicle MOT history' and it'll lead you to the site. You can then see what your prospective purchase failed on, previously. If it's shown lots of structural corrosion, probably best skip it.

Now, the youngest genuine C15 Romahome will be absolutely no later than 2002 registered. Anything claiming to be younger than that WILL be a clone and best avoided. The bodies were never designed to be shifted from chassis to chassis and apparently don't take kindly to being moved. We are sure it can be done successfully, but why risk it? Also C15 Romahomes were on the 765kg chassis/cab and later van chassis were only 600kg so you lose a lot spare weight in the transfer. If in doubt post the advert you're interested in on here and we'll offer our opinions.

Dating isn't too difficult, even from photos. All C15 pods should be dated hear the top hinge on the door frame at the rear. So if your pod says 92 and the cab is 2000 registered, don't buy it! However, a good rule of thumb for initial dating is to look at the cooker. I wrote a 'cooker dating thread' on here which is a general guide. It's not infallible, but it does help.

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/foru...ght=Dating+C15

Oh and C15 brakes are rubbish. At the best, they are barely adequate. Most will try and kill you. But it's part of the adventure. Honestly....

The biggest thing to remember is that the youngest C15 Romahome is at least 15 years old. Most modern vehicles will have been cast aside by then. So you are essentially buying a very old vehicle. Just so you know.

Having said that, because of the brilliant design, they still hold a premium in the market place, as you have discovered. A 1999 C15 panel van will be worth maybe £500. A decent C15 Romahome of the same vintage will be ten times that. £5000.

Age is not necessarily the worry with a C15. Condition is everything. A decent C15 Romahome with some history, little visible rust and able to be used immediately for holidaying should be yours for £5000. Quite possibly much less. There are plenty of folk on here with much cheaper C15's than that but for a good 'un, £5000 is not unreasonable in the market place at the moment. But finding one is quite difficult, as you have found. I purchased both my reasonably sound, late-ish C15 Hylo's from private individuals, one through this forum and one through Gumtree. And I would recommend a private purchase every time rather than retail.

Don't forget though, that the Berlingos started production in 1997 (I think?) and if you do your math, you will see that they ran side by side with the C15 for several years. Berlingo Hytops are probably better than C15 Hytops, basically cos you get the same package on a more modern designed vehicle. Hylo's are a different matter. C15 Hylo's have solid sides and the complete roof lifts, and have a useable Luton area, while Berlingo Hylo's have fabric sides to the lifting, front pivoting roof, thus little useable Luton for storage. So although the Berlingo is more modern, one could argue that C15 Hylo's are more practical. I do, in fact! The point is, Berlingo prices are starting to come down and I've seen what looked like a reasonable one for under £7000 recently, so don't dismiss them.

Hylo or Hytop. Up to you. A Hylo will squeeze under most height barriers, if you have the nerve. Hytops won't. And thus Hytops have a bigger Luton area. In your price range, that is basically the difference.

Now I am no expert. Definitely not. There are others on here who know far and away more than me. But I have just spent a year doing what you are doing, to find a good C15 Hylo. And I did and it was worth the wait!

Take your time, go with your gut feeling and if you are unsure, just walk away. There will be the right van for you. I know. Believe me!

Hope this has helped a bit in answering some of your questions.

Panda
      Hello,
      Sorry if I'm doing this wrong!
      Could you please tell me is this advert reasonable?
      Thank You

Great little Romahome 11 months mot
      Northfield, West Midlands
      £3,195.00
      Images
      Map

1 of 9

Previous image

Next image

Full screen gallery
      Mark
      Posting for 3+ months
      Reveal
      Mark
      Posting for 3+ months
      See all ads
      Contact details
      Reveal

Favourite
      Vehicle history

This vehicle has not been reported stolen, scrapped, exported or flagged as unroadworthy.
      Want to know more?
      Buy the full HPI report and get additional data.
      Outstanding finance, valuation, mileage check & VIN match for £9.99 (normally £19.99).
      Buy report now

Share:
      Share this ad on Facebook

Share this ad on Twitter

Share this ad on Google Plus

Share this ad on Pinterest

Email this ad

Stay Safe

"Meet face to face, never send payment for items you've not seen"
      "If an ad or reply sounds too good to be true, it probably is"
      "Use the 'Reply to ad' button for your safety and privacy"
      "Don't reply to email addresses hidden in text and pictures"
      "Beware of fake Gumtree, eBay or escrow sites and invoices"
      "Don't carry large sums of money with you when meeting up"
      "Tell others when/where you're going to trade, and bring a friend"
      "Don't ship items - always trade face to face"
      "Don't use Paysafe, Ukash or Western Union for Gumtree trades"
      Read all safety tips

Previous safety tip
      1 of 9
      Next safety tip

Posted
      4 days ago
      Make
      Citroen
      Model
      C 15D
      Year
      Mileage
      Seller type
      Private
      Body type
      Other
      Fuel type
      Diesel
      Transmission
      Other
      Colour
      White
      Engine size
      Description
      Romahome 11 months mot only two advisors G reg 130000 miles in good nick for the year inside and out no leaks dry as a bone... 1700cc Diesel engine very good 50 MPG @ 55MPH starts first time the camper is in use with me at present time .. it will come with the drive away awning as in pic had some great fun in this little van sad to see it go but really need something a little bigger ..5 good tyres solid exhaust ideal for trips away fishing or festival's very nice camper any questions drop me a text be glad to answer them

Comment

Originally posted by smedhed View Post
        Hello,
        Sorry if I'm doing this wrong!
        Could you please tell me is this advert reasonable?
        Thank You

Great little Romahome 11 months mot
        Northfield, West Midlands
        £3,195.00
        Images
        Map

1 of 9

Previous image

Next image

Full screen gallery
        Mark
        Posting for 3+ months
        Reveal
        Mark
        Posting for 3+ months
        See all ads
        Contact details
        Reveal

Favourite
        Vehicle history

This vehicle has not been reported stolen, scrapped, exported or flagged as unroadworthy.
        Want to know more?
        Buy the full HPI report and get additional data.
        Outstanding finance, valuation, mileage check & VIN match for £9.99 (normally £19.99).
        Buy report now

Share:
        Share this ad on Facebook

Share this ad on Twitter

Share this ad on Google Plus

Share this ad on Pinterest

Email this ad

Stay Safe

"Meet face to face, never send payment for items you've not seen"
        "If an ad or reply sounds too good to be true, it probably is"
        "Use the 'Reply to ad' button for your safety and privacy"
        "Don't reply to email addresses hidden in text and pictures"
        "Beware of fake Gumtree, eBay or escrow sites and invoices"
        "Don't carry large sums of money with you when meeting up"
        "Tell others when/where you're going to trade, and bring a friend"
        "Don't ship items - always trade face to face"
        "Don't use Paysafe, Ukash or Western Union for Gumtree trades"
        Read all safety tips

Previous safety tip
        1 of 9
        Next safety tip

Posted
        4 days ago
        Make
        Citroen
        Model
        C 15D
        Year
        Mileage
        Seller type
        Private
        Body type
        Other
        Fuel type
        Diesel
        Transmission
        Other
        Colour
        White
        Engine size
        Description
        Romahome 11 months mot only two advisors G reg 130000 miles in good nick for the year inside and out no leaks dry as a bone... 1700cc Diesel engine very good 50 MPG @ 55MPH starts first time the camper is in use with me at present time .. it will come with the drive away awning as in pic had some great fun in this little van sad to see it go but really need something a little bigger ..5 good tyres solid exhaust ideal for trips away fishing or festival's very nice camper any questions drop me a text be glad to answer them
        Hi there.

I've looked at this advert on Gumtree and in the first instance it looks ok. The seats in the pod have been covered, so it would be worth looking under the covers to see what condition they are in. The pod seems to match the age of the vehicle as well. I may have expected to see a white top cooker in there, not a brown one, necessarily, but that is not a reason not to view it and I am sure I have seen brown cookers in early pods before. The mileage seems commensurate with the age as well.

You need to ask all the right questions when you view it, like why are they selling it, how long have they had it and that sort of thing. Also it is over 25 years old so it will be showing it's age somewhere. I may have missed it, but I couldn't see an MOT period on it either. Check that out.

It all seems straight and honest from the advert, so I would certainly consider viewing it if I wanted one like that. But when you view it, that is when the work starts!

Hope thus helps.

Panda
        These broken wings are gonna leave me here to stand my ground........

Comment

Panda

The advert says 11 months MoT in the first lines "Great little Romahome 11 months MoT ..."

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by kernowjon View Post
            Panda

The advert says 11 months MoT in the first lines "Great little Romahome 11 months MoT ..."

Jon
            Doh!

Panda

Comment

Hello, Sorry if I'm doing this wrong! Could you please tell me is this advert reasonable?
              Hello, as you give your location as Brum you must be close enough to pop around and have a look without too much effort. I would definitely do so as even if it turns out to be terrible you will have added to your experience bank.

Make a note of the registration number immediately you arrive so you can check the MOT History at your leisure (https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history).

As Pandabloke says ask all the obvious questions including: about the MOT and advisories; how long has he (or she) had it; service history i.e. when and where/by whom serviced and does he have receipts or records such as old MOTs and bills; has he had it welded and if so which bits; has it been accident damaged is it Cat C or D; etc.

Cat C or D damaged and repaired (properly) vehicles can be completely safe and sound but you might find problems if you later want to sell it as some potential buyers don't understand that insurance companies categorise damaged vehicles on strict financial grounds, not the severity of the damage.

Try to get as much clear info as possible, stuff you can check against the MOT histories and your opinion of the seller to help decide whether you believe what you are being told.

If you think it is worth buying you might want to get someone knowledgeable (an MOT Tester would be ideal) to take a look at it for you and get a check by HPI or similar, RAC and others offer similar checks.

Apologies if this sounds like "teaching grannies to suck eggs", hope it is some help

Comment

c15 romahome

Originally posted by Pandabloke View Post
                Doh!

Panda
                Hello Mr. Pandabloke,I hope you don't mind but I have just joined and read some of your posts and thought you may help.
                Thank you for your previous advice.

I have been looking at past MOTs of the C15 and see a lot of "nearside Headlamp aimed too low", although, not on the last two. Is this suggestive of rot?

The last MOT had 3 advisories:

Oil Leak

Front Coil spring corroded

Rear Coil Spring corroded

Are these very bad things?

Cheersman!

Comment

Hello Mr. Pandabloke,I hope you don't mind but I have just joined and read some of your posts and thought you may help.
                  Thank you for your previous advice.

I have been looking at past MOTs of the C15 and see a lot of "nearside Headlamp aimed too low", although, not on the last two. Is this suggestive of rot?

The last MOT had 3 advisories:

Oil Leak

Front Coil spring corroded

Rear Coil Spring corroded

Are these very bad things?

Cheersman!
                  The springs are not the end of the world - budget £500 to replace front and rear springs - always replace as a pair regardless of the MoT advisory. full set about £150 from Autodoc allow the rest for fitting - think about new shocks at same time should not increase the labour charge.

Oil leak if only from top end Rocker Cover insignificant - maybe a drain plug that needs a new copper washer next oil change - all insignificant. Could be a damaged casting and expensive.

Jon

Comment

Guys,

Sorry I have not been around for a little while - we had a bombshell dropped a little while ago when my wife was called back after a routine mammogram, and it turns out there are early signs of breast cancer starting and she needs further tests and then treatment.
                    So the camper van project is on hold at the moment.
                    I will still be keeping my eyes open and popping back to the forum from time to time - but viewing and possible purchase may have to wait for a while - possibly until the spring next year if the provisional treatment schedule is any indicator.

Thanks once again for all the input.

Comment

Oh Pewe,

So sad - I really do hope that all turns out well for your wife and of course for you. Keep in contact with us all.

I have been in your shoes and know at this stage it is like a hammer blow - only the two of you can decide what your next steps are.

Jon

Comment

Hi Pete,

I know all who have been following this thread send you their very best wishes. Pop back and see us when you can.

Panda.

Comment