This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R25 spare wheel

I went down to Freeborns in Southampton and they say you will not get a spare wheel with the 2011 racked back R25 insted use puncture repaire foam.I must say after 25 years of motorcaravaning we have not had a puncture, not to say you will not
    I asked about these spring assisters they say they are rubber inserts that fit inside the exsting springs, i think? They have ordered me some take about two hours to fit i will let you know how i get on.

BRIAN

What a mistake that Freeborn are making if they are not including a spare wheel! A BIG mistake.

Comment

By all accounts, the puncture repair foam is good stuff when used correctly. However, once used on a tyre, the tyre itself cannot be repaired, so you would have to buy a new tyre altogether.

I can see this being handy in an emergency when there really is no other solution (like being in the middle of nowhere with no mobile signal for the AA, for eg. - or having no spare wheel!) but it's still only a temporary solution and you still have to buy a new tyre when you get where you're going.

Get a spare wheel if you can, Mr T!

Comment

The "GOO" is not my favourite although I carry some for emergencies (we do have a spare wheel). As I understand it there are some that can be washed out of the tyre but a repairer would charge for the time. Perhaps it is just that it is not cost effective.

I bough the "GOO" after we had a puncture in our old Romahome on the Thelwell Viaduct part of the M6 on a Friday evening when setting off to go to France. Changing the wheel was the most frightening experience of my life and I am just glad that it was a nearside wheel.

Comment

Andrew

Romahome simply reacted to initial comments about the rear ground clearance on the R25 as some customers were concerned that the vehicle could be too low at the rear in certain circumstances. The new 'racked-back' version is 3-4 inches higher and therefore loses the storage facility for the spare wheel.
          Many car manufacturers have gone the same route of removing the spare wheel to gain space and lose weight and replacing it with foam. This trend seems likely to continue but all customers who buy a new R25 can still have the spare wheel which comes from Citroen regardless-the problem is where to store it. In most cases it seems to end up in the owners garage at home and will potentially be transferred back to the van for longer trips away when most owners have said they will store it in the luton area above the cab.
          As always with Romahome, the overall design has to balance a host of requirements with inevitable compromises. Do remember that the standard rear end with the fitted spare wheel is still an option for every R25 purchaser though without exception customers have gone for the higher ground clearance version since it was introduced.

Comment

When Claire was looking for a car, we had a look round the skoda ovtavia, as I use one at work and have previously owned one. It was a lovely car but can't say the same about the salesman. Anyway, they come with goo as standard although the salesman very kindly, and without prompting, added a full size spare to the price. Why?? because they recommend it to every customer!! Obviously this wasn't a money making scheme

Personally I'd prefer a spare over goo, it's not very good at repairing a blow out on a motorway or a side wall tear, so I'm told

Is it possible to source a space saver that is usable on a Motorhome? Maybe easier to store/transport??
            Last edited by glenw; 05-04-2011, 13:26.
            Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Hi Andrew about to have a strop.... be prepared....

I hate this new trend of supplying goo rather than spare wheel & do not think I am alone.

Picture the scenario.... away on holiday.. puncture... goo deployed....

Even if it is successful you cannot leave the problem it has to be sorted really promptly and at best it is a REAL PAIN!

However because I ALWAYS have carried a spare wheel I can choose to do it myself or if not in the mood... wait for VERY lovely RAC man to come and do the deed. Van back in operation and I have time to sort it out at my leisure without interferingwith my holiday.

YES I HAVE HAD PUNCTURES.....(they are not that rare). Also you do need an outside locker for the electric cables etc.... One puncture in the deepest highlands ...... I hate to think what would have happened with a pressure can full of goo.....

And why oh why a gel battery?????????? First thing you would need to replace not as efficient as a wet cell.

Okay you can take the ear plugs up strop over..... we love you all at Romahome really....

Comment

Originally posted by glenw View Post
                Is it possible to source a space saver that is usable on a Motorhome? Maybe easier to store/transport??
                Not sure about the bigger motorhomes, but you would think so with smaller vans. Mine has a spacesaver slung underneath the back, which I was disappointed about because I thought I was getting a standard tyre spare. In hindsight the extra ground clearance might not have been a bad thing with some of my offroading adventures
                Neil

Comment

Originally posted by andrew View Post
                  Romahome simply reacted to initial comments about the rear ground clearance on the R25 as some customers were concerned that the vehicle could be too low at the rear in certain circumstances. The new 'racked-back' version is 3-4 inches higher and therefore loses the storage facility for the spare wheel.................... Do remember that the standard rear end with the fitted spare wheel is still an option for every purchaser though without exception customers have gone for the higher ground clearance version since it was introduced.

There is one exception that I know of - me. I bought an R25 in March of this year, and specifically wanted the standard rear end, fitted with a spare wheel, and spring assisters to improve clearance. I was looking to buy very quickly, and fortunately for me there was an unregistered r25 in the showroom which was exactly what I wanted. If the 'racked back' version had been the only model available to me at that time it is unlikely that I would have purchased.

I can quite see that the racked back might be more suitable for those in different circumstances eg who carry a load at the rear such as bikes on the (very clever) bike rack. It is very typical of Romahome to try to meet the varying needs of their customers, and I was heartened to read that the standard rear end will continue to be an option for folk like me who definitely want a spare wheel, but do not want the weight of the wheel in the Luton, let alone lose a lot of that wonderful storage space.
                  Last edited by VonUK; 10-04-2011, 05:09.

Comment

We are glad the raked back option was unavailable at the time of our purchase. As we spend a lot of time in France the repair kit wouldn't be a lot of use with a side wall blowout in the middle of nowhere.
                    One of the first priority things we bought was a tyre inflator that plugs into the cigarette lighter making sure it was rated high enough for the psi of the tyres. It stows nicely in the under space behind the drivers seat.

Tony Anchorman
                    Last edited by anchorman; 10-04-2011, 09:45.

Comment

Forgive me Andrew but I have heard of people being disappointed when they found they only had a spacesaver tyre.....
                      I am also hearing that people want a spare tyre.... and I know of a few people that did not want the raked back. It is fine to offer a choice but what worries me is when you stop because I can see why you are moving towards it as a cost saving exercise in production. (Not blaming you for that, you are in business to make money that is only fair). But I could see myself moving that way in the future and I want the van right for me, without a spare tyre would not go there.

Have not heard of anybody who choose and was happy with the raked back solution.
                      It also loses the outside locker for hook up leads which is increadibly useful.

Your R20, much smaller manages a locker for outside leads and a spare wheel.

I can see it may save money in production not to include a spare wheel. Romahome has an excellent reputation do not spoil the ship for a 'appenth of tar'

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X