This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R20 rear door hinges

My new R20 is only a couple of months old and I was surprised to see the paint flaking off the rear door hinges. Spoke with the Romahome Centre and they said it is common and the hinges are an alloy which doesn't take paint well. They offered to repaint but indicated it might just be as easy for me to Hammerite them and expect to have to do it again after a while.

I smothered them in Vaseline when it first happened just in case they were prone to rust (thanks to this forum a large jar of Vaseline is always to hand in the van). Must work out how to clean that off.

Anyone else experienced this and got any idea of the best solution? To be honest if they don't rust the best solution would seem to be to remove all the paint and shine 'em up.

Brian

Originally posted by g0ukb View Post
    My new R20 is only a couple of months old and I was surprised to see the paint flaking off the rear door hinges. Spoke with the Romahome Centre and they said it is common and the hinges are an alloy which doesn't take paint well. They offered to repaint but indicated it might just be as easy for me to Hammerite them and expect to have to do it again after a while.

I smothered them in Vaseline when it first happened just in case they were prone to rust (thanks to this forum a large jar of Vaseline is always to hand in the van). Must work out how to clean that off.

Anyone else experienced this and got any idea of the best solution? To be honest if they don't rust the best solution would seem to be to remove all the paint and shine 'em up.

Brian
    we all get this, use white hammerite.its just one of those things.
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Thanks Ian - I wasn't worried and it was obvious from Neville's response that this was something that everyone gets. I'd already planned to Hammerite rather than trouble Romahome to respray but really only posted just to see if anyone had found an even better solution than Hammerite.

So next question - any thoughts on the best Vaseline remover/degreaser to I can actually get the Hammerite to stick Not sure what I've got, never done much bodywork/metal painting.

Brian

Comment

Try Brandy.

Drink a nice one,throw the paintbrush away and forget about your hinges.

Comment

We haven't had too much of a problem with the paint on the hinges on our Outlookbut our hinges keep siezing up and they need regular doses of lubricant. I keep looking to see if I can find a way to fit grease nipples.

Comment

Goodmorning Peter,a grease nipple is a good idea,meanwhile I found that a springtime squirt with Plusgas penetrating fluid works wonders.

Comment

Tissue off with kitchen towel, then use surgical spirit. I use this to keep my towball and hitch grease free.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
              Working...
              X