Alternative base vehicle thoughts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative base vehicle thoughts

Although our Romahome pod has no doubt got plenty of years service left in it I doubt the same can be said for our base vehicle, a 17 year old 1.3 Daihatsu Hijet with questionable levels of servicing and TLC from previous owners.
    With this in mind I have been looking around for a possible alternative base vehicle for "when the time comes".

Does anybody have any experience of the DFSK range of small pickups ? visually very similar to some versions of the Suzuki Carry, powered by a 1.0 or 1.3ltr petrol engine.
    Given the difficulty of getting anything other than common spares for the Daihatsu here in Gibraltar or even across the border in Spain I'm considering a new van from this manufacturer.

Yes I know it's Chinese, and I recall someone years ago saying "don't buy anything Chinese unless it comes with rice" but there are some quite favourable reviews on them.
    Why not just get a second hand Suzuki ? well one of those out here is ridiculously expensive and has probably had the cajones kicked out of it.
    The supply chain out here is a bit thin in places hence why I'm looking at possibly a new or recently second hand one.

Any thoughts ?

Cheers
    Graham

DFSK have pulled out of the UK so the loadhopper is no longer available here but they got pretty positive reviews during the time they were on sale. The local dairy round here uses them as milk floats and they seem to keep going. Apparently the 1.3 engine is the Suzuki unit built under licence in China.
    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Thanks Rob, we would be after Left Hand drive version, they are reasonably common out here but independent opinions are difficult to come by.
      Looked them up for 2nd hand sales on auto trader, only 5 for sale in the whole of UK !

Comment

Graham - depends what you want - if size is not an issue then some of the larger Jap Pickups have been used twice this year a Mazda has been on ebay with a Romahome pod popped on the back https://community.smallmotorhome.co....n-mazda-pickup

The pods have also been mounted on the back of LWB LandRovers - I would suggest you read this thread
        https://community.smallmotorhome.co....r-base-vehicle

Jon
        Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori

Comment

Nice one Jon, thanks for the tip

Comment

According to this article dated April this year DFSK are back in the UK:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/dfsk/99...urns-to-the-uk

John

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDL View Post
              According to this article dated April this year DFSK are back in the UK:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/dfsk/99...urns-to-the-uk

John
              This is the agreement with the Ssangyong importer i mentioned on another thread. The deal has been done but to my knowledge no vans have been imported as of yet. They may have been waiting for the September reg change. it could also be to do with the seeming change of branding from DFSK to DFM.

Comment

Just get a Piaggio Porter. It's just a Hijet anyway.I'll bet you can get them in Spain no bother. I't would drop straight on. Also you can get the bits from italy for a Porter/hi-jet from these guys.

https://www.mondoporter.com/

Last edited by John Wilson; 14-09-2017, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wilson View Post
                  Just get a Piaggio Porter. It's just a Hijet anyway.I'll bet you can get them in Spain no bother. I't would drop straight on. Also you can get the bits from italy for a Porter/hi-jet from these guys.

https://www.mondoporter.com/
                  Hasn't production of the Porter (and the Hi Jet for that matter) finished now?

Comment

They just stopped making the RHD version, but a face lifted model is still being made in Italy in LHD. Available as a diesel, petrol or lpg.

Comment

Thanks for that link John - I got ripped off nearly £300 for a drivers side headlight for the MoT and it is LHD
                      jon

Comment

I'm told that Subaru dealers in the UK can import the parts for Piaggio Vans, so you could try there.

Comment

John Next time I will go to the one you linked. Jon

Comment

I posted a picture of a Peugeot pick-up that I saw when I was on holiday in the southern counties earlier in the year

It look the same sort of shape as the Citroen belingo van, so with a little bit of giggerry-pokery I am sure you could get a de-mountable pod to fit

Comment

Thanks guys, actually Hijet parts are hellish to get in Spain, one place quoted me 200 euros for a set of rear brake shoes !!!!! Thanks for the link to the italian supplier site, be interesting to see if they go back to 2000 with their spares list

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only

Collapse

320x50 mobile only under posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X