newbie seeks advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sandy64 View Post
    As I am not a car person..can someone explain the 4x4 bit?..does this mean that its a better vehicle for going off the beaten track a bit? if so, then this may be exactly what I was looking for....

I looked up her MOT history, and for the last couple of years, she has been doing 6-7500 miles each year, that hints at an engine without the problems I am hoping....
    Yes the 4x4 is fourwheel drive - which you would only use off the road - and yes it should be better off the beaten track if you get stuck - start getting wheel spin then you can engage 4WD and probably get out of the slippy area

Take a look at these vids on YouTube they are different versions different engines etc but still the same basic vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9VCoTH8Fwk
    https://whttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN9-iyZqsq4
    ww.youtube.com/watch?v=OrDqud17zPQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IrpcDyPAdE

Don't go slinging it down forest tracks - crawl when the ground is bumpy or you will undoubtedly need new chockers - remember the camper pod means the truck is 2/3s loaded at all times. If they have not been fitted you may want to consider Spring Assisters - DonksDad made his own I bought mine from Custom Campers - cost £300 plus fitting but well worthwhile
    Jon
    Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori

Comment

Hi Sandy

This is newly advertised on our website if you are interested.

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/2005...e-vikenze.html
      Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

You can also shop online at our Accessories Store

Comment

Thanks Graham, its a bit smaller than I was thinking of, as that is pretty much what I am doing in my car boot at the moment..but thank you...

Comment

Well went to see the camper...just tried to upload a pic of the engine to get an opinion (cos it just looks like an engine to me!) The guy turned it on, and we spent the next 35 minutes looking her over. It all looks nice, not too much rust, a dent or two, a catch on one cupboard needs replacing.. Disappointed to see that a previous owner had cut the join inbetween the cab and the pod so that it goes right thru and they are not separeted by a window as I have seen elsewhere....tho apparently its still a dismountable pod...it would obviously leave both pod and cab open to the elements tho...
          Camping fridge is tiny, so will need a proper one as the original has gone. All the wires for a leisure battery are there, I just need to buy the battery itself, and there is apparently a ton of paperwork telling the owner how to fix everything, and how to dismantle the pod off the carrier.

...and all the while I was looking it over, the engine ticked over nicely. I heard the fan kick in and turn off occasionally, but there wasnt any overheat problem in that time that I noticed.

Fuel guage showed fuel was at half a tank...so guessing the sticky guage might not be an issue either..I forgot to ask.. I did ask about the 4 wheel drive, and apparently its a permanent thing, not something you switch over to....Gent usually drives it, but lady has driven it herself, so I asked what it was like, and she said it was really lovely to drive.

Apparently it was her aunts camper but she wasnt using it, so she gave it to this couple as his work puts him on the road a fair bit. This explains fully the few years of low mileage on the mot, but the sudden boost in activity over the last two MOT's.
          Let me know what you think of the pic...I will deffer to your expertise.. you guys think it looks good, then I might say yes, as they will put it up on Ebay next week if i dont want it, and i dont want to keep them hanging..
          Attached Files

Comment

interior showing how it goes right through
            Attached Files

Comment

now this confused me a bit..is it normal? This is where you put the fuel..tho its NOT diesel..over to the right a bit is another sticker that says 'unleaded only'. The couple say it IS unleaded and they were a little confused themselves...
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy64 View Post
                now this confused me a bit..is it normal? This is where you put the fuel..tho its NOT diesel..over to the right a bit is another sticker that says 'unleaded only'. The couple say it IS unleaded and they were a little confused themselves...
                Not necessarily a problem. It just suggests that the pod has been transferred from a diesel base.

btw,,, are those heater vents under the off side seat base?

Factor in for a replacement fridge. 3 - £500 for a good one depending on type.

I don't know these vehicles so won't say much about general condition from those pics. Doesn't look to have chucked either water or oil about though which is a good sign.

Also... is there something missing from the space at top right of the engine bay picture? Where you can see the road.
                Last edited by Dapple; 20-09-2017, 10:22 PM.

Comment

I think maybe the diesel tank is for the heater Webasto make diesel heaters - if it is the heater it will be easy to see. crawl under and the line from the diesel tank will go to an electric pump and onto the heater.
                  No nothing missing in the engine compartment - nothing vital I think it originally is for Jack stowage - As Dapple said it looks very clean.

If you buy it I would suggest as Dapple said go for a compressor fridge - no gas problems then and get a Solar Panel (I use 100watt) change the interior lights for LEDs and you never need an electric hook-up. You will have a really self sufficient little motorhome.

Jon

Comment

One final thought - Are you certain it is definitely a pick-up base and not a cut down van (if it was a cut down van I would walk away now!!!).
                    Removing part mof the front of the pod has done 2 things
                    1. They have removed some of the structural strength there is some fibreglass box section between the 2 bunks which has been removed.
                    2. (assuming the base is a pick-up) They have bonded the pod to the cab in a lot more permanent way (how I do not know without being able to look) but effectively they have made it a fixed pod.
                    You could still remove it but obviously to do so you would have to undo however they have bonded the cab and pod together. It is no longer a simple matter of undoing the mounting plates (4 of) Jacking up and drive away.
                    If you ever did remove the pod I would advise getting someone who can work in plywood and fibreglass to reinstate the bulkhead and the original pod strength.
                    This may be why they have had trouble selling it - It has been for sale for a few weeks.
                    Jon

Comment

Thank you guys SO much. Yes those are heater vents, tho I am not sure how they work, as the fuel tank thing was for the vehicle fuel, not the heater.
                      I have no idea if it might have been a cut down van.. It is a high jet, (MOT reports, told me that) and there were a couple of bits in the look of the cab that I recognised from the one I saw on Sat (with the heater problems) way seats lift up, and the little thing to the right that you top up a fluid (can't remember what fluid..) and a small panel that could have 3 switches (one on sat had two spaces used, second for an engine cooling fan, this one only has the first one)
                      They have assured me that the pod still comes off, and that they have a booklet that auntie made up detailing the process. No idea if this means that it's instruction on how to undo the bonding however.
                      The possible structural weakening sounds a little worrying... I will ask if they can get photos for me of the join. They may also indicate if it's the original pick up or a cut down van...
                      They told me auntie wanted there to be a greater airflow through the pod, to prevent the 'musty smell these things sometimes have' and that's why she had it done.. A similar reason was cited by the couple on Saturday, as to why they had removed the interior window. However, with opening windows on each side of this pod, and two ceiling vents (?) and a small circular thing in the ceiling I would be very concerned if it might smell if damp in any normal condition. It didn't smell damp to me, and nor was there any obvious signs that it had any damp problems in the pod itself.
                      Interestingly, the pod I saw on Sat had fixed windows, and only 1 ceiling vent, and circular thingy. It's markings on its window indicated that it came from a much older vehicle originally. This hints to me that this is a much newer pod, so possibly the newer double skinned one you mentioned.
                      Thank you again. Your advice has been invaluable!
                      Last edited by Sandy64; 21-09-2017, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Sandy. with your admitted, lack of expertise in all things mechanical, I would strongly recommend that you have it inspected by a competent mechanic or one of the motoring organisations. what seems a bargain, may in the long run, be anything but! good luck anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by doog View Post
                          Sandy. with your admitted, lack of expertise in all things mechanical, I would strongly recommend that you have it inspected by a competent mechanic or one of the motoring organisations. what seems a bargain, may in the long run, be anything but! good luck anyway.
                          I agree with Doog get the AA to look at it and they will give you a report on the overall condition of the base vehicle although they won't look at the pod.

The money will be well spent and either give you peace of mind or save you a lot of money.

Graham
                          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

You can also shop online at our Accessories Store

Comment

The Log Book (V5) would say whether its a VAN or Pick-Up.
                            The MOT (On-Line) Might Sat this too ?

Usually in a pick-up the back of the seats and the head rests are fitted to the bulk head (The metal wall behind the pick -up) but in the Van they are part of the seat Base and are adjustable (angle of the seat).

The old Suzuki 1 Ltr "Super Carry's" are getting on a bit now, but the newer 1.3 Ltr " Carry's are better.

The Pod may have come of somthing like a C15 where the cap does go through into the habitation unit, but these were not designed to be de-mountable.

Comment

Originally posted by Donk's Dad View Post
                              The Log Book (V5) would say whether its a VAN or Pick-Up.
                              The MOT (On-Line) Might Sat this too ?

Usually in a pick-up the back of the seats and the head rests are fitted to the bulk head (The metal wall behind the pick -up) but in the Van they are part of the seat Base and are adjustable (angle of the seat).

The old Suzuki 1 Ltr "Super Carry's" are getting on a bit now, but the newer 1.3 Ltr " Carry's are better.

The Pod may have come of somthing like a C15 where the cap does go through into the habitation unit, but these were not designed to be de-mountable.
                              Pete did you see the add for the one she is looking at -
                              https://www.gumtree.com/p/campervans...le-/1264164816

I don't think it is ex C15 - it looks like a late model pod - but modified.

Jon

Comment

I was commenting on the previous one which showed the photo's and she said yoiu could access the pod via the cab

This one looks OK and is definitely a de-mountable, although a bit pricy

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X